• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"Elbow pit" direction on release with backhand

Shryke

I am trying to get my form cleaned up and made a notice that when i'm straightening my arm straight out with or without a disc, at some point the pit of my elbow starts to turn upwards.

This is a thing that I haven't realized before I started to think that my arm swing is supposed to be more towards in front of me rather than to the side, which engages my right pec and allows more consistent aiming because this way elbow doesn't move to my side before releasing the disc.

The question is that should I focus on training the extension of my arm so that the elbow pit never starts turning up, because I think that it would engage my triceps more? I also noted that this is easier to achieve when tensing my right pec and moving right shoulder to the front of my upper body.

Sorry for a little wonky English, I'm from Finland :D

First off, if you say your English is poor AND use the word 'wonky' in context, I call your bluff :D

The elbow pit (that I've never once thought about) will start to go upward as the wrist is 'turning the key' at the hit. Disc release should be generally over the top of the lead foot. I focus on the elbow knuckle going toward the target so I don't collapse the pocket into rounding.

First off, if you say your English is poor AND use the word 'wonky' in context, I call your bluff :D

The elbow pit (that I've never once thought about) will start to go upward as the wrist is 'turning the key' at the hit.

But I think if the elbow pit turns upward too early the hand will be higher than the elbow at the hit, and the T rexes will be scared.

I tried this yesterday with flat straight shots that I tried to keep at around 80-90% power. I avoided any kind of distance lines and flippy discs for more accurate results.

As a result the shots flew really low, at around 1m (3ft) but aiming was super consistent and flight paths very straight. Distance wise I went down from 110m to 95m (360ft to 310ft) so a little less than 15% loss.

I really think this has something in it because the distance loss was so minimal with like no training. Of course the throws felt weird because of muscle memory but I noticed that I was using my upper back muscles more which should only be a good thing, you always want to use bigger muscle groups.

I am trying to justify this to myself with an example that if I try to "jump" with my upper body while making push ups, at the point where arms lift up in the air the elbow pits are facing to each other and not up, so more power.