• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Elevated Baskets Design

Sharkbite

Bogey Member
Premium Member
Currently working on a plan for an elevated basket and looking for feedback. My current idea is something similar to Blue Ribbon Pines hole 26 but on a slightly small scale. Looking around on the web, Im not seeing a lot of other examples. Anybody have any? Thanks

Attachments

• blue ribbon pines 1.jpg
    blue ribbon pines 1.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 43
  • blue ribbon pines.jpg
    blue ribbon pines.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 32
BRP is a good design in that there are relatively flat, mulch surfaces where your disc can have a reasonably good chance to stick when you land there. The boulder edges are either good or less than ideal depending on your design goals. They look good aesthetically but produce random kicks for throws good enough to reach the plateaus. Some designers like that flukiness. For those that want less fluky outcomes, consider using a more uniform boundary material such as timbers or bricks, especially if you don't have boulders to start with.

Whatever you do, try to make the elevated platform disc friendly. There's very little worse than getting close to the basket, but having the disc marred/damaged from hitting something solid. Hitting trees/rocks/etc is different because you aren't trying to hit them and aren't supposed to hit them. But you are expected to hit the area around the basket if you don't make it in. Seeing your disc smash into railroad ties/rocks/whatever at the base of the basket isn't nice.

I saw one elevated basket online somewhere which used tires. Yeah, the disc would bounce away a bit from hitting the tire, but it wouldn't be damaged.

The course is on the Mississippi River bluffs so we wanted to use the same type of lime stone boulders. The idea is to be able to see the pin from the tee as well as a signature hole on 18.
We only need approximal 4-5' to accomplish that and if I recall correctly BRP is a bit taller then that (been a few years) It would be something like the top 2 levels without the large perimeter base. We have approximately $4000 budget

Only other photos I can find are Devils' Den in MI hole 18, which is pretty cool. Though I dont understand the fountain part of the placement.

If anyone has more examples, please share. Thanks

Attachments

• elevated baskets 3.jpg
    elevated baskets 3.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 45
  • elevated basket 2.jpg
    elevated basket 2.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 39
BRP is a good design in that there are relatively flat, mulch surfaces where your disc can have a reasonably good chance to stick when you land there. The boulder edges are either good or less than ideal depending on your design goals. They look good aesthetically but produce random kicks for throws good enough to reach the plateaus. Some designers like that flukiness. For those that want less fluky outcomes, consider using a more uniform boundary material such as timbers or bricks, especially if you don't have boulders to start with.

Kicks are bad but we really want to keep the flow of the bluffs the course is close to. It will be flat on top with at least a 15-20' putting green. Preferably a little larger. There is nothing worse then an elevated basket that you have to putt at several times to make it because of no green, especially on a hole that tends to be windy.

Kicks are bad but we really want to keep the flow of the bluffs the course is close to. It will be flat on top with at least a 15-20' putting green. Preferably a little larger. There is nothing worse then an elevated basket that you have to putt at several times to make it because of no green, especially on a hole that tends to be windy.
My comments just indicated the design trade-offs. The larger the flat surface around the basket, the "fairer" it will play even with boulder boundaries. That's still more desirable than having a small landing area under the basket, say 6 feet in diameter, with a uniform plateau boundary.

If the 'landing' area can't be uniform (for whatever reason), try to take things like common wind direction, approach direction, etc into consideration. An offset landing area should benefit the player....larger on the approach side instead of the far side. Same with slopes...if you can't make the slope even on all sides, make it benefit the player. A good throw shouldn't roll away forever or slide a long ways down the slope if the basket is missed - or the throw lands short.

An elevated basket is already an added difficulty, try to not add more difficulty to the basket/green.

If it's wide enough, I like incorporating terraces, because they give you a little reward for clearing each step -- a bit higher, and the disc likely to carry further and shorten the putt.

This isn't exactly what you're looking for, but a combination of mound/terrace which has the benefit of a nice reward if you get up on the terrace. The railroad tie construction means it doesn't damage discs:

BSH15 18-B the Mound (1620x1047).jpg

Latest posts