• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Elevation Adjustments

bsnone

Par Member
Talking specifically about uphill / downhill shots. If you know you have say, 40 feet of uphill to account for, what adjustments are you making? Anyone every get a mathematical explanation of what the true distance is on these shots? Like if I have a 240ft hole playing 40 feet uphill, does it play like 280? 300? 260? Any ideas on how to approach these in tournaments would be appreciated. Thanks!

Talking specifically about uphill / downhill shots. If you know you have say, 40 feet of uphill to account for, what adjustments are you making? Anyone every get a mathematical explanation of what the true distance is on these shots? Like if I have a 240ft hole playing 40 feet uphill, does it play like 280? 300? 260? Any ideas on how to approach these in tournaments would be appreciated. Thanks!

Rule of thumb is usually 3 feet of effective distance for every 1 foot of elevation change. Obviously, that means uphill is effectively longer and downhill shorter.

So for your example, the hole would effectively play about 360 feet (40x3 added to 240).

Rule of thumb is usually 3 feet of effective distance for every 1 foot of elevation change. Obviously, that means uphill is effectively longer and downhill shorter.

So for your example, the hole would effectively play about 360 feet (40x3 added to 240).

Perfect! This is exactly what I was looking for. thanks!

However, the 3:1 ratio seems to change quickly when you get beyond about 10% grade up or down.

This makes me feel good. I roughly put a disc 300-320 feet on a hill that goes up 18 feet. The hole is 340 feet. That would mean it plays out to 394?

Also I like to throw more understable discs when throwing uphill because you are essentially throwing the disc high in the air...if that makes any sense.

Also I like to throw more understable discs when throwing uphill because you are essentially throwing the disc high in the air...if that makes any sense.

I was fixing to ask this. Is it because of the nose up factor? I always have a hard time with uphill shots.

in a way, yes.

basically, from what i understand, you have air pushing more back against the bottom of the flight plate since you are throwing upward. this will cause your disc to act more overstable, just as if you had thrown nose up. combine that with the fact that throwing 360' feet at an upward angle will not travel as far across the ground as throwing 360' flat before it fades (think like a right triangle, pythagorean theorem style) and your understability will help you eke out those extra feet, getting more of a full flight.

you should still be throwing nose down uphill, though. throwing DX (dat glide!) or discs with some built-in turn has really made my long uphill game a lot easier. seasoned dx teebird, seasoned dx eagle, 1.1 SOLF, patriot, etc.

However, the 3:1 ratio seems to change quickly when you get beyond about 10% grade up or down.

This is interesting. I guess I am not surprised that it breaks down. Severe up- and down-hill shots seem to be a skill of their own rather than a matter of adjusting your range like gentle elevation changes.

I find it really interesting that it is easiest to get an uphill distance with an understable, and when it comes to a downhill drive, I also find myself throwing understables (usually putters). I guess just to be able to throw softly and keep them from fading too soon.

It all depends on the severity of the incline. The Pythagorean theorem will give a basic idea of how far it will play.

I typically throw understable uphill. I'm not sure why, but it works better for me.

It all depends on the severity of the incline. The Pythagorean theorem will give a basic idea of how far it will play.

I typically throw understable uphill. I'm not sure why, but it works better for me.

Pythagorean theorem doesn't really apply since most uphill/downhill holes are measured along the flight path anyway. Whether you solve for the hypotenuse (c) or one of the other sides (a if b is the elevation change), it's not going to give you the number you're looking for. Remember, the adjustment isn't for actual distance, it's effective distance. A 340 foot hole is still 340 feet long whether it's up or downhill. It's the effect of gravity, angle of flight, and the mechanics of the throw itself that change how far a disc will travel.

I find it really interesting that it is easiest to get an uphill distance with an understable, and when it comes to a downhill drive, I also find myself throwing understables (usually putters). I guess just to be able to throw softly and keep them from fading too soon.

Well duh, going up hill or down hill causes the disc not to be affected as much by the wind, don't over think this one !!

Well duh, going up hill or down hill causes the disc not to be affected as much by the wind, don't over think this one !!

I don't know if that is completely accurate. I would say that when we throw at an extreme upwards angle, most of us throw nose up. Therefore if you throw something more over stable it will fade out harder than something understable.

If I'm throwing downhill I also use something understable because I tend to release flat instead of downhill and I don't want my disc going farther off path at the end of the flight when the spin slows.

Then again, that is with no wind. With wind I obviously change stability either up or down to throw the same shot I would with no wind or add hyzer/anny if its a slight breeze.

And yes, I over analyze. If I ever get my form right it will help. I hope. Because nothing really matters if I grip lock my drive and end up in a ditch on someone else's fairway. :wall:

I was fixing to ask this. Is it because of the nose up factor? I always have a hard time with uphill shots.

Pretty much. The disc doesn't know there's an angle (hill) involved....it assumes you're throwing nose up even though you're actually throwing parallel to the ground.

I won't erase my last sentence but I will say gravity doesn't know you're throwing uphill - it acts as though you're on a level surface.