• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

End of Jump Putting as we know it

Well, no conspiracy to eliminate the jump putt or modify the stance rules....but they're up to something dagnabit

27522155912147667981349202058ix1i8uvdt08EtUBjIKGS.JPG

:hfive:

but i don't see how you'll be able to distinguish between a jump putt and a falling putt...since the rules are really specific around a static supporting point, not necessarily the action of jumping or lunging forward.
I'm suggesting changing the rule about the supporting point to make the too close to call jump putts illegal and other follow troughs or falling putts legal. And that's only as a suggestion based on the assumption that the rule being too difficult to call in many situations is an actual problem. That may not, and apparnetly according to the PDGA so far, is not, a valid assumption.

My point still is regardless of this being a discussion or formal rules submission, is whatt is the core issue the pDGA is trying to solve?
Apparently nothing if they aren't even considering the rule. It sounds to me like you're trying to run a smear campaign against the PDGA under the guise of a rule that was suggested on a message board but not actually submitted to the PDGA.

The PDGA Rules Committee (RC) is trying to find a better way to handle the problem of calling jump putts legal or not. They have no agenda to either keep or get rid of jump putts, just solving the problem. It IS a problem based on high frame rate video where members of the RC tried to do jump and (Feldberg) walk thru putts legally. 'Yes' there are experienced jump putting pros in the RC. About 50% of the attempts were not legal where the disc was not released until the player was clearly off the ground much to the chagrin of some members who thought they were doing it legally.

So this discussion is relevant from the standpoint that ideas that might resolve the issue or handle it better might emerge. But so far, the RC feels the best candidate to improve the situation balancing the tradeoffs may be to increase the putting circle distance. But they're not willing to pull the trigger on that idea yet in the hope some other brainstorm may be better.

The PDGA Rules Committee (RC) is trying to find a better way to handle the problem of calling jump putts legal or not. They have no agenda to either keep or get rid of jump putts, just solving the problem. It IS a problem based on high frame rate video where members of the RC tried to do jump and (Feldberg) walk thru putts legally. 'Yes' there are experienced jump putting pros in the RC. About 50% of the attempts were not legal where the disc was not released until the player was clearly off the ground much to the chagrin of some members who thought they were doing it legally.

So this discussion is relevant from the standpoint that ideas that might resolve the issue or handle it better might emerge. But so far, the RC feels the best candidate to improve the situation balancing the tradeoffs may be to increase the putting circle distance. But they're not willing to pull the trigger on that idea yet in the hope some other brainstorm may be better.

Thanks CK for confirming my theory that the pDGA was interested in a rules change. I agree that the proposal I listed was not adopted by the BOD, rather was trying to determine in what context it was provided. You're above notes show clear evidence that the pDGA is looking into the matter.

And they have been for at least 10 years. It was only recently a higher profile issue among several others due to the 2013 rules update. But nothing emerged to grab the RC or Board as any better than continuing with the current rule. So it simply remains as brainstorming ideas among those willing to toss them out.

I disagree that not jump putting means you lack skills. I think it is the other way around. It takes great form and wrist action to be able to make a 40-50 foot putt without jumping. Just my opinion. I think this thread is kind of dumb anyway, that is a very stupid proposal from my end.

True. My point is this is the type of stuff your pDGA $ goes to...helping some non-jump putters level the competition because they lack skills. I know it probably won't pass...but the USDGC no strokes for OB rule passed, which is yet another major change in how the game is played.

I'm suggesting changing the rule about the supporting point to make the too close to call jump putts illegal and other follow troughs or falling putts legal...

That's EXACTLY what I was going to suggest, after reading 16 pages of this thread. On the other hand, I'm kinda with Prerube on this: nobody at the level I compete at is helping their game by jump putting. I honestly think the "Feldberg walk through" put accomplishes the same thing, but with a more controllable, repeatable movement.

I always thought Feldberg's walk through putt was illegal.
I do jump putt from time to time but I wouldn't miss it in my game if it were gone.
But if I was a top pro and you forced me to change my game I would be unhappy.

I honestly think the "Feldberg walk through" put accomplishes the same thing, but with a more controllable, repeatable movement.

I've been looking for a video that clearly demonstrates this "Feldberg Walk Through" putt but can't find one. Any links?

Putt jump, putt jump, putt jump. Everyone is arguing about something that is inherently illegal by the rules as they stand.

This thread is dumb I agree! But your saying it doesnt take skill to jump putt, totally disagree!! Im sorry I had to bang a few in during that last round at SECO on you guys

How about we pretend that we don't have high speed cameras and look at the intent of a jump putt. People are not currently attempting to make flying leap putts. The idea is to use momentum to propel the disc, not get 2' closer on a 40' putt.

I don't jump putt btw

I've been looking for a video that clearly demonstrates this "Feldberg Walk Through" putt but can't find one. Any links?

I was looking for the video...but found this instead.

http://schoolofdiscgolf.com/2012/07/07/falling-putts-can-lower-your-score-2/

for those that feel this shouldn't be discussed...about 30-40% of respondents are FOR the proposal, the remaining are against. I'm also seeing similar thoughts on the pDGA board, so regardless if YOU feel this isn't an issue...there is a lot of disagreement on if jump putting should be legal or not.

I was looking for the video...but found this instead.

http://schoolofdiscgolf.com/2012/07/07/falling-putts-can-lower-your-score-2/

for those that feel this shouldn't be discussed...about 30-40% of respondents are FOR the proposal, the remaining are against. I'm also seeing similar thoughts on the pDGA board, so regardless if YOU feel this isn't an issue...there is a lot of disagreement on if jump putting should be legal or not.

wow if i read the article completely i'd see the link. THIS IS A GREAT EXAMPLE OF A WALKING PUTT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWdtN2PSrIo

here is a better look at feldberg's walk through:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNM6fFEn0t8&NR&feature=player_detailpage#t=602s

at least the walk through is more refined than the pseudo-epileptic jump i see in vast majority of "jump putts"

i dont jump putt. i think it is ridiculous and see more missed than made (especially in the lower player ratings) and they can often leave a huge comeback putt as well To each their own, though.

I stared using the walk through putt the first time I saw video of Feldberg doing it and it was very easy for me to learn and made those shots from outside the circle much easier for me. Everyone tells me that it is clearly legal, and seeing me make some of those shots has made others in my area start doing it.

in the rule book under General:

(1) When a group cannot reach a majority decision regarding a ruling, the benefit of the doubt
shall be given to the thrower.

To hard to tell that split second so give the player the benefit of the doubt,

A few of us seem to be in favor of just allowing jump-putts wherever.

i can make or splash the basket on 9/10 of putts if i can jump within 30 feet. no way this will ever happen. to many people wpid walk putt or this would favor the lanky mega long armed freak kids who excel at the sport early due to longer reach.