• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Episode 3: Dave Feldberg's Disc Golf an Honest Take

Streets

* Ace Member *

About halfway through he goes through the importance of using 1-2 mids and variations of those same ones.

This whole episode was on point. He offers pearls in the form of wisdom and still gives other bits to entertain and inform all within 45 minutes. Keep em coming...

Is there a lot of push back?

I've only seen like one or two very vocal protestors here.

Is there a lot of push back?

I've only seen like one or two very vocal protestors here.

I don't see the push back really. Maybe some vocal apathy.

But from that point, I see the idea and I feel myself headed that way, but not from the gate, but as my Compasses beat in and I am looking at an OPTO-X for OS maybe I end up where I only have 4 compasses in my bag. There are soooo many discs now and soooo many that feel like you are throwing the same disc.

As he pointed out Discmania has kinda done if for us with M1, M2, M3, M4. So its not like a must do. The other part is anyone that has started more recently maybe likes the feel of more premium plastic in mids. They will hold up longer.

I see the benefit of one mold, especially 5 of the exact same run and beat them to different stabilities but it just seems like old habits and not what it once was, and more work and time than is needed. Very easy to get 3 or 5 discs that feel pretty much the same and fly OS/S/US and you can get to know those discs pretty damn quick.

You said theres no pushback, then wrote 3 paragraphs about why you dont need to

Give me a break :D :D :D. Good old dgcr

You said theres no pushback, then wrote 3 paragraphs about why you dont need to

Give me a break :D :D :D

Yeah... well I rambled trying to make a point and probably missed.

Sum up... I see the point in the old school thinking still being around... I just don't think it is all that it once was. I don't want to be a push-backer but the old conventional wisdom started before such a huge selection of discs.

I actually agreed a lot more with his opinions on this one than with putters. I feel like in putters he only really accepted big bead deep putters as a real putting putter, and missed a lot of great molds in approach putters.

The pick two mids you like and buy a ton strategy works well IMO and did very well for me. I liked Bards when o got my first one and usually bag 3-4. They wear in super slowly and I have a couple of the BT ones like he has as well and they start out very OS and great and beat into a good s curve disc.

I have no problem with Dave Feldberg's disc videos, but find that they are very basic, and probably only going to be useful for players who have limited experience with golf disc molds.

There is nothing wrong with this type of video though. There is a population of players that can benefit from it. And, if it jazzes them up to try new molds then that is good for business.

I did have to laugh when he plainly stated that his preference for a midrange would be his old 10-time KC Pro Roc. Well, duh! That is the mold he learned on and threw for years when he entered the sport. It should be no surprise to anyone that he still is most comfortable throwing them.

I take from this that we can probably expect players to have an affinity for stuff that is like what they started out with ... which obviously will not be museum pieces like 10-time Rocs.

As he pointed out Discmania has kinda done if for us with M1, M2, M3, M4. So its not like a must do.

Prodigy runs those molds. Discmania has a similar naming structure. In my opinion it just makes it easier to make the mistake of using them all at once. Dave's advice of picking 1-2 molds is 100% correct for all players regardless of skill level.

As someone that has previously bagged all of them and now bags MD3 and keeps some MD4 in the closet for high wind I can tell you that it's not the same as cycling one mold. Not even close.

M1 and M2 are close enough that you would only pick one. M2 and M3 are the same. M4 is a bit of an outlier and the M5 is totally off the table in that selection process.

MD1 (disco), MD2, MD3, and MD4 are all similar. MD5 and MD are the outliers.

When picking one or two of these molds you should end up picking the one that is most reliable for you when brand new and most comfortable to throw. Hands, Grips, Power level are all different for each player. The mold lines are not designed to be used in sequential order for shot selection.

You are supposed to pick one and as it beats in, pick up a new one of the same mold. If you do that for 2 molds, you have 4 discs and 4 unique shot shapes.

Nothing has changed in comparison to Innova and Discraft. You pick 1-2 molds and you have 2-5 of them total in different stages of wear.

I like his point when he was reviewing the Ghost to buy 4-5 of the same run, color (optional) and weight and work through them that way.

Well i for one does not agree. . .i could never get a broken in Buzzz to fly like a Buzzz SS. . .and a really beat up Buzzz SS do not fly anything like a newer Archer. . .and even a "beat to hell" Drone does not fly anything close to a new Buzzz

So i need all four moulds

Dave's advice of picking 1-2 molds is 100% correct for all players regardless of skill level.

I'm not saying Dave is 'incorrect', but there's nothing wrong with have 3 molds (OS, Stable, US), if that's what works and makes one's DG game more enjoyable.

You are supposed to pick one and as it beats in, pick up a new one of the same mold.

Supposed to? Sounds like you're giving us military orders. And i totally reject what you're saying. Cycle if you want, but it's not the only way to build a bag. And my objection is to you and those that say we have to do only that, that we're supposed to cycle one mold. How are you going to force me or anyone else to do that, hmm?

I'm not saying Dave is 'incorrect', but there's nothing wrong with have 3 molds (OS, Stable, US), if that's what works and makes one's DG game more enjoyable.

Feldberg > SD86

Supposed to? Sounds like you're giving us military orders. And i totally reject what you're saying. Cycle if you want, but it's not the only way to build a bag. And my objection is to you and those that say we have to do only that, that we're supposed to cycle one mold. How are you going to force me or anyone else to do that, hmm?

Way to take that completely out of context...do you have a martyr complex or something? Broom wasn't telling anybody to do anything...he was explaining cycling, not giving you a damn order. Good grief. You and Casey...I swear.

Feldberg > SD86

No. Feldberg's advice is not the ONLY way to build a bag. And that's the point I'm making: just because someone, even a pro, says something, doesn't make it right for all persons in all variations.

Way to take that completely out of context...

You and Casey...I swear.

I did not take "You are supposed to..." out of context. That was a direct statement telling us what to do and that it's the ONLY way to do it.

And swear all you want. I am not Casey.

I've tried it both ways. I just ended up preferring one mold, pretty much for the same reasons that Dave explained.

Oh, and Feldberg>me

Latest posts