• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Episode 3: Dave Feldberg's Disc Golf an Honest Take

I think with Macbeth going to distract and still crushing shows that this mold familiarity concept is vastly overrated. It's the Archer, not the arrow that matters

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Not only does he have better form than 90% of all disc golfers but he's also already thrown his new discs more than your amateur level player has in many years of playing.

The only way your argument would have any validity is if McBeth played every tournament with a whole new bag including new molds and he still finished the year in the top 10.

It would be intresting to see McBeth play 18 holes with only 3 discs of his choice. . against him self with a complete bag

I know they did the "starterpack challenge" but that was not disc he normaly throws, way to US for him

I think with Macbeth going to distract and still crushing shows that this mold familiarity concept is vastly overrated. It's the Archer, not the arrow that matters

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Hes still throwing force/anax/predator for basically all of his drives

I'm sure he's also put in countless hours more than typical ams will this entire year learning those new discs

And I think comparing what pros can do to average chuckers in vastly overrated.

And if we're comparing pros; I'd be more interested to see the list of pros who learned by throwing a different disc for every shot. And I don't mean have tried out discs to find what works for them.

Paul didn't become great because he threw a different disc for every shot, he learned how to throw, to adjust for lines and knows what type of discs he prefers. You don't become a great archer by using a different arrow ever draw, then it becomes just luck.

How many thousands of shots did Paul take with a Nova, and then transferred it over to a Big-z Luna? Paul can throw what every he wants because he can figure out how to make it fly, even if he doesn't care for it.

Beating a dead horse: If you know how to play and can execute a shot, you can basically take more or less any disc (within reason for the stability you need for the shot) and after a couple of throws know how much anny or hyzer you need to execute the shot. Top tier golfers can do that.

Us? Hell, I can't take the same disc and execute the same shot a lot of the time. The reason I don't jump around from disc to disc? It's the archer, not the arrow. The discs I've chosen can be used to execute the shot. If they don't, I screwed something up. Changing discs doesn't fix my form.

How minimalism works is that you stop blaming the disc and start focusing on your form and what you did to make the disc do what it did. It's really easy to putt into a headwind and watch the disc lift over the basket and think "I need to get a more overstable putter". You don't need a more overstable putter, you need to learn to putt into a headwind. :|

Now, if you are not going to work at improving at all and are just going to throw the way you throw and take the results you get that's fine. It's a recreational activity. You don't have to practice. If you are that guy and want to try to find a disc for every situation that's cool, you can do that. The fact of the matter is that so far as advice for improving goes, somebody who wants to be a better golfer needs to learn how to throw. It's easier to focus on your form and realize it's the archer with fewer discs.

So we end up with this back and forth because we are all different and have different priorities. In the 90's when I was still in my 30's and thought I could be better I carried four molds. If I wanted a drive to finish right I put anny on a Cyclone and threw it there. When I wanted a disc to finish left I put hyzer on a Cyclone and threw it there. Easy. Now I'm old, my back and arm are shot and I'm not going to get any better. I mostly just play for fresh air and sunshine. So when I want a drive to finish right I have this beat-up DX Valkyrie and when I want a drive to finish left I have the Firebird. Easy. You can do either one, there is no right or wrong here. It just depends on who you are and what you want to get out of disc golf.

So when I want a drive to finish right I have this beat-up DX Valkyrie and when I want a drive to finish left I have the Firebird. Easy. You can do either one, there is no right or wrong here. It just depends on who you are and what you want to get out of disc golf.

What do you do on straight shots? :|

But it also very hard to beat in a ROC to fly like a Mako. . . i use the BUZZZ and a can´t get a beat in one to fly like a BUZZZ SS, and i prefer the flight of a new BUZZZ SS over a beaten in BUZZZ

This is where I can't relate to your statements.. it is not difficult to beat a Roc or Buzzz to the point that they flip up and fly dead straight - Like a Mako or a Buzz SS. Just takes time. A couple of years even for premium plastics.

I bag Rocs and used to bag Buzzes.. When I first started with the Buzz I had a TI and aBuzz SS. That Ti Buzz definitely started to fly like an SS after a season, and it replaced my SS for hyzer flips and turnovers. So I hope I am not being rude in saying that maybe you don't have the arm speed to make a seasoned Buzz fly like an SS.. But I have just had a different experience with them than you.

By the way, your English is good! No worries there.

Not to derail, but the roc has a supposed 3 fade compared to a mako3's 0. Doesnt the roc keep its fade?
The reason the Roc cycles so well is that it starts out HSS with that fade from the LSS. As you beat one in, the HSS stays so it doesn't really flip on you. It's the LSS that beats out first and you get essentially a straight flight. Keep on beating it and eventually it will start to develop turn. So you can beat a Roc from overstable to understable, and when it's beat into that sweet spot in-between it's pretty much just straight. At that point it's fairly similar to a Mako3, although it's a slower flight with more glide to it than a Mako3.

I don't think you're ever going to get away with just cycling Buzzzes. That disc flies well on powered anhyzer shots, but it doesn't fly well at lower speeds. That slow late turn is very difficult to achieve with a Buzzz.

Some molds naturally work better for cycling. I would say that you'd be better off trying to cycle Wasps, but they need a stiffer baseline plastic to do that. The many Z Wasps I've had have never developed any significant amount of turn.

It was interesting when Dave was describing what he thought the flight path of a Buzz, before he threw the disc, he was actually describing the flight path of a Comet.

It was interesting when Dave was describing what he thought the flight path of a Buzz, before he threw the disc, he was actually describing the flight path of a Comet.
I've hovered close enough to some Innova Pros to overhear what they were saying and I was surprised how completely oblivious they were about non-Innova discs. I would think if you were a pro disc golfer and a disc as big as the Buzzz came out that they would borrow one and field throw it to find out what the deal is, but it seems they don't.

I've hovered close enough to some Innova Pros to overhear what they were saying and I was surprised how completely oblivious they were about non-Innova discs. I would think if you were a pro disc golfer and a disc as big as the Buzzz came out that they would borrow one and field throw it to find out what the deal is, but it seems they don't.

I remember being told once that someone asked Paul McBeth if he'd like to try an MVP disc, and he replied that he couldn't because his Innova contract forbade him to throw any other brand of disc (i.e. he could only throw Innova/Discmania). That is probably a true story, certainly I have no reason to not believe it, and it's likely true for all Innova-contracted pros as well as McBeth.

Also, when changing over from Innova to Discraft, Valarie Jenkins Doss said that she was trying out the Discraft discs and that she'd never thrown any of them before. One would think that with her husband Nate Doss being Discraft-sponsored, she'd have tried some of his discs in some 'undisclosed locaton' in secret. Then again, she really might not have tried Discraft before switching.

TL;DR: due to contract obligations, it's no surprise that Innova players might have no clue about non-Innova discs....

The reason the Roc cycles so well is that it starts out HSS with that fade from the LSS. As you beat one in, the HSS stays so it doesn't really flip on you. It's the LSS that beats out first and you get essentially a straight flight. Keep on beating it and eventually it will start to develop turn. So you can beat a Roc from overstable to understable, and when it's beat into that sweet spot in-between it's pretty much just straight. At that point it's fairly similar to a Mako3, although it's a slower flight with more glide to it than a Mako3.

Crisp explanation. Maybe i will check out some roc's when i get my bh game going.

I've had a few friends move into sponsored roles and they've cleaned out their closets or so they say.. I think one guy hid a box in his Attic I can't see him parting with his Cobras but either way they both have taken it seriously and don't want to screw it up.

My Halloween envy came from a guy in California who got sponsored by Trilogy or Latitude.