• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Dynamic] Eric McCabe: Great Guy, Great Disc

Shaakes

Had no idea where to post this but this seemed as good a place as any.

Was playing a quick round at Squirrel Lake Park (Matthews, NC) and came upon what I thought was a lost disc. I picked it up and saw it was a signed Eric McCabe Crush with a "you find this you keep it" note on the back written by none other than EMAC himself. I figured he must not be too far ahead if me on the course and sure enough, I ran into him not too far from the finish on hole 18. I thanked him for leaving the disc and we chatted a bit about his trip to Charlotte. What a hell of a nice guy.

I was going to hang the signed disc on my wall but curiosity got the better of me this morning and I decided to throw it on a 325' straight hole that I've never really had the right disc for. To my surprise, I parked the drive it and am now a huge fan of this disc. Threw it a few more times and got the exact same result. Straight as an arrow with a barely slight fade at the end.

What a great experience and I send big props to EMac.

(I have not social media accounts or id also post there in case you read this Eric)

I saw he was posting these on Instagram the past couple days. Very cool move by McCabe. Did you post your find on instagram like (I believe), the directions stated??

Cool. So EMac still throws a Crush? I'm usually not an advocate of hanging onto discs, but this one ought to have some value... I say turn it into a wall-hanger!

I didn't realize the Crush went OOP. I used to LOOOVE that disc... Think I still have a few laying around.

Good story, OP. Very cool to not only meet a legend, but get a signed disc. Noice.

OOP!!??

I'm...

Crushed!!!

Kidding aside, I really like the disc but looks like I wont expect to have it long term in the bag. The main point of my post was just a shout out to Eric, really cool thing he's doing for the sport.

To an earlier question, no i didn't post to instagram or Facebook or Twitter as I don't have an account for any of those, instead I thought this would be the best alternative

If you listen to podcasts, you might try disc golf answer man. EMac is on that, when he's not out discing or designing new courses.

A Crush? Are you sure?

EMac posted the discs he stashed on instagram (EMac Truthes). I believe this is the one you found...unless he hid multiples but only took pictures of some.

Yeah, would be odd to be a Crush since he works for DD and hasn't thrown Discraft in some time. No doubt he has a Crush or two in his stash, but it would be odd for him to try and grow the sport using discs he no longer pushes.

So I'm gonna go ahead and take this month's award for biggest dope. JC17393, you are correct, it is actually an EMac Truth, not a crush. When I wrote the first post, I was away from my bag and tried to remember the name of the disc using only a picture I took of the disc (that happened to have sun glare making the name difficult to read) I then went to Marshal Street disc guide to see which disc had EMac's signature and the first one I noticed was the Crush (without clicking on the disc to see that it would have been Discraft, not DD). Once the conversation got going, that was that, no reason to think otherwise. Thanks for pointing out my mistake. This shout out has officially turned into a mess. Good news though, the Truth is a killer disc and it looks like one that I can stock up on!!

In the most recent DGAM podcast, EMac mentioned that he is deliberately leaving behind discs for people to find with messages about keeping the disc.

Can you imagine walking up to a green in your local muni ball-golf course and finding a new putter signed by Sergio Garcia (or whomever you root for) for you to keep and run into them after the round willing to chat with you about the sport? This is exactly the type of people and actions our sport needs to grow in positive ways, not to mention a wise move by DD...I went a couple of days later to our LDGS to buy some extra Truths to start throwing. Would probably never had gotten that disc in my hand if not for this encounter. It still sick that I have no social media accounts to post a pic as requested by EMAC but I'm sure he's not losing sleep over it.

Latest posts