• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] ESP Venom

jdggna

Double Eagle Member
I just picked up one of these at a tourney today. Does anybody know how they throw compared to other overstable discs? Specifically a Predator or XCal?

More overstable than a Predator for sure and probably more overstable than an Xcal
I would compare it more to a Max even though both fly differently and I use both for different shots

More than a pred, eh?...interesting. I'm planning on using it as a longer predator for forehands. More overstable than an XCal would be quite an accomplishment though. Not sure where it would fit if that's the case, because it certainly isn't replacing it.

I have and one and been going to the soccer field for about 6 weeks and its hard to get a good feel some times i can get 400 plus out of it ...I like it but i have a force i love and trust .so it feels real good and my still going to work the bugs out of it

I have one plus a backup. I primarily throw rhbh but I always use my esp venom for fh hyzer shots. My home course has 3 sharp right doglegs.

Definately a meat hook. I would compare the flight to a Star Firebird (flat top). Will shoot straight a good ways and then fade abruptly. Great disc for flex shots--you know its coming back.

Most overstable pig in my bag. More than my flat Firebirds, Star Max and Tee Rex. It's only at 172 as well. I tried a buddy's and it was a little straighter but mine is overkill for anything BH for me. I can snap my Firebirds and Tee Rex flat but I can't get the Venom there, it's a mystery.

It is now the longest thumber I've ever owned. It replaced both Firebirds in my bag. Release it ner vertical and it will fly for 325'-340', let it go flatter it will flip quickly and land softly. Best landings I've ever had with overhand tosses.

Oh and a great color Pink...

*backswing

I had 5 from the first run and they all had high speed turn. I thought they were close to a beat in Star Destroyer.

I have two esp venoms and a pro d venom. They are great FH discs, love the grip, they are a little faster and more overstable than a Firebird. My Star Xcals are more overstable and a little faster than the ESP Venoms. The Venoms are quite faster and more overstable than a Predator.

So...got some throws in with it today.

My first impressions:
Definitely faster than a Predator or Firebird.
Slower than an XCaliber, with a touch less fade.
It would turn over slightly when throwing relatively hard, unlike any of the previously mentioned discs.

It worked great for me. Pretty much everything I hoped it would be. I used it for long, straight shots with a fade at the end. The slight turn was not problematic as it has a huge fade, and netted me much more distance than if it didn't do it. I'll definitely get another.

My disc: light blue 174g ESP

I've had a bit more time to try this out. It is definitely not as overstable as the discs that Predator, Firebird, XCal, etc. It also has a more small turn at high speeds.

The FLX must be a completely different monster than the Pro D venom. The Pro D venom I had for about a month beat in so quickly I couldn't put that thing on a hyzer line without it flipping. Loved it the first throw or two.

I have a feeling thats how mine will progress. I loved it at first, but I see it becoming too understable for me over time. For now it'll stay, but by the end of next summer I wouldn't be surprised if it was gone.