• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Estimating rating

KniceZ

Double Eagle Member
I don't do any sanctioned events but I'm interested in estimating my rating mainly to get an idea of how I compare. I've looked up the SSE for several of the courses I usually play and was wondering how to estimate my rating for the rounds I play.

Is there a typical number of rating points for the number of strokes off SSE - say 10 points. Example : if the SSE is 55 and I throw 60 would that be roughly a 950 round?

The amount of points per stroke vary depending on the course. Most courses vary by something like 7 points per stroke. You can also look up tournaments that were held on your courses and look for scores which are similar to what you shoot in order to find some reasonable real ratings.

If you're talking about the SSE we use on here, just play the course, make sure the hole info is correct, and enter your rounds in the scorebook. There's no need to estimate.

If you're talking about the SSA that the PDGA uses, you're not going to get an entirely accurate rating unless you knew the exact layout used in the event that said SSA came from and played the course under reasonably similar weather conditions. Extra holes, different tee/pin configurations often used in tournaments, that aren't a normal part of the day-to-day course can make doing an estimate impossible. You also have to account for the extra stroke or two many of us rack up due to competition nerves.

Last edited:
I just tried putting in a round in the scorecard and I get a score of n/a. I just did the quick version with a total score with pars and birdies. Any idea what I did wrong or missed.

You have to put in which tee you played in order to get a rating for the round.

I don't do any sanctioned events but I'm interested in estimating my rating mainly to get an idea of how I compare. I've looked up the SSE for several of the courses I usually play and was wondering how to estimate my rating for the rounds I play.

Is there a typical number of rating points for the number of strokes off SSE - say 10 points. Example : if the SSE is 55 and I throw 60 would that be roughly a 950 round?

The points-per-strokes breaks down roughly like this:

If the SSA/SSE is around 48, it'll be about 12 points per stroke.

SSA/SSE around 54, 10 points per stroke.

SSA/SSE around 60, 8 points per stroke.

More or less. The more strokes involved, the less value each one of them has.

In the example you cite, you've guessed right. A 60 on an SSE 55 course should be about 950.

I think for most people, trying to just compare to an SSA will give an estimate which is too high. Most people playing casual rounds don't force themselves to *really* follow the rules. E.g. No practices throws or second throws from the same lie or off the tee, always playing exactly where you lie, enforcing all OB, 2 meter, lost disc, etc., rules in the tournament way. Also, the rhythm of a tournament round is different -- if you're used to playing a round in 75 minutes, taking 3 hours will disrupt your flow.

An SSA of 50.4 will yield exactly 10 points per throw. Higher SSA = fewer points per throw, lower SSA = more points per throw.

I just tried putting in a round in the scorecard and I get a score of n/a. I just did the quick version with a total score with pars and birdies. Any idea what I did wrong or missed.

Just looked at your score book: Loriella is n/a because you need to click which tee was used. Maple Hill is n/a because you need to enter a score for each hole. Once you've gotten into the routine of doing each step, it gets pretty easy to do (feel free to glance at my score book). Note you must include a score for each and every hole, so modified rounds won't generate the ratings estimate.

Seems like it needs 1) a tee selected, 2) each hole distance in place, 3) and a score for each hole, then it wlll generate a number.

Also, I've found the DGCR ratings are usually inflated 30-40 points for courses around here. Might not be true everywhere, but DGCR thinks I'm a mid-930's player, when in reality, I've been playing around 900 in sanctioned rounds of late. :(

You can also look up tournaments that were held on your courses and look for scores which are similar to what you shoot in order to find some reasonable real ratings.

If you are having a hard time figuring it out, this ^^^ is the easiest way.

You can also look up tournaments that were held on your courses and look for scores which are similar to what you shoot in order to find some reasonable real ratings.

If you are having a hard time figuring it out, this ^^^ is the easiest way.

Unfortunately again, this only works (and even then only to a degree) if the layout used for that tournament round matches the everyday layout that you're basing the rating upon.

Unfortunately again, this only works (and even then only to a degree) if the layout used for that tournament round matches the everyday layout that you're basing the rating upon.

Seems like everyday layouts are never the case with many bigger tournaments. I find it really annoying to watch safari style golf on a course I know well and wish it would go away. Then there is the added OB lines which are often not always defined in an everyday layout.

Seems like it needs 1) a tee selected, 2) each hole distance in place, 3) and a score for each hole, then it wlll generate a number.

One more thing: you need at least five recorded rounds before the Scorebook will start to generate a rating.

Seems like everyday layouts are never the case with many bigger tournaments. I find it really annoying to watch safari style golf on a course I know well and wish it would go away. Then there is the added OB lines which are often not always defined in an everyday layout.
Even within tees/pins that are established parts of the course, there can be a significant difference between most holes being set short for everyday play and everything being set long for a tournament. Added holes, added OB's, special tees just complicate the matter further.

One more thing: you need at least five recorded rounds before the Scorebook will start to generate a rating.

What? I didn't know that! Auuuuuuuugh!
5628299_std.jpg

The 3 courses I play the most are quite different for tournaments.

One adds 2 extra holes, and a bunch of O.B.

One 27 holes, where each round they play a different combination of 18 holes, with pins moving around.

The third has 3 layouts which play the same in casual or tournament play---but you have no way of looking at the results and knowing which layout was for which round.

As a side note, an underrated benefit of the PDGA ratings process is the ability to produce them based on the actual course layout with different pins and temp holes plus weather conditions at the event versus the ball golf handicap process with fixed course ratings.

As a side note, an underrated benefit of the PDGA ratings process is the ability to produce them based on the actual course layout with different pins and temp holes plus weather conditions at the event versus the ball golf handicap process with fixed course ratings.
This can be explained in the following simple equation:
th