• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Etiquette: when is it okay to throw rollers at a group?

Don't do it, walk up to the closest guy and ask to play through. If they aren't cool about it just skip ahead of them. They won't catch up.

It's a terrible event that happened, Whitey, but it's not like she didn't have other options. Was the floor of the parked car not flat? What about the shifter console? Could she have waited until she got home since the coffee obviously would've still been hot enough? She took a shortcut, and it burnt her. (ba-dum-tiss)

700 scalds reported compared to how many hundreds of thousands of cups of coffee served? Sounds like business as usual to me. This is no different than Toyota ignoring flat out denying sticking throttles in their vehicles that KILLED people because restitution was cheaper than a recall (this is far from the first time a decision like that has been made in the automotive industry). They would've stuck to their guns too if it weren't for the bad press that was hurting their profits. At least with McDonald's everyone knew their coffee was the hottest around (and a lot of people sought it out because of that fact - I know my entire childhood neighborhood did). Was this Stella's first cup of McDonald's coffee? I would say probably not. One sip ever is enough to understand how hot it was. I've never taken a drink, but I remember holding cups for my dad that felt really hot through the cup, and I made sure to take extra precautions not to spill on my child self.

It would be different if the lid was improperly fastened and caused the burns, but at what point does McDonald's liability disappear? Should they shoulder the added costs to put their coffee in a sippy cup to ensure it doesn't cause a burn on a small percentage of their customers? What about those companies that keep their coffee at a lower temperature that's still capable of causing third degree burns? Do we, as a country, serve all beverages iced because we're too stupid to take precautions to prevent being burned? Is personal responsibility really that terrible of a concept?

And this thread belongs in the Landfill. If you really need someone to tell you to skip the damned hole to make sure that even the jackholes of the world are safe, I hear McDonald's has some good coffee.

(tbird wins the internet, again...)
Is personal responsibility really that terrible of a concept?

And this thread belongs in the Landfill. If you really need someone to tell you to skip the damned hole to make sure that even the jackholes of the world are safe, I hear McDonald's is hiring.

FTFY dawwwwwg.

shoveling_hole_PA_md_wm.gif

WERE COMING!

All of the talk of playing through and idiots reminds me of one time there was a group of 6-8, not everyone was throwing every hole, messing around and just being incredibly slow. They finally told my uncle and me to play through. I say thank you, we throw and all is well, until I go to release my approach shot and have a disc land a few feet away from me. He apologizes and the rest wait until we are holing out. By the time we got to the the next tee they were already done with that hole.
We both throw again, before I'm even half way to my disc, I hear a bunch of noise. Turn around and they are all lined up in a row, with the first one already lining up his run up, at this point I'm annoyed and throw my arms up in the air and say something. That's when they all drove in a rapid succession chain. That pissed me off enough that I quit that round and didn't go back to that course on a weekend for almost 2 years.

If they would have just asked to play through, all would have been well. So, no. Never throw or roll on anyone without say so.

If someone threw a roller at me, i'd pick up the disc and continue playing.
Never do it.

I can't help but picturing a roller hitting somebody's foot and kicking up in the air and bonking them on the head, cartoon sound effects and all.

Maybe when they get up off the ground they slip on a banana too?

We need to come up with "The Ten Commandments Of Disc Golf" or something and post them at the start of each course.

1: Thou shall not throw on other golfers or park users without their permission.

2: Thou shall make a reasonible effort to return a lost disc that has a phone # on it.

3: Thou will not litter, ever.

4: Thou will only have dogs on leashes, and pick up any poop.

5: Thou will only medicate in remote locations, and only when no children are present.

6: Thou may consume alcoholic beverages, but not to the point of being a distraction or detriment to other golfers.

7: Thou will not vandalize the course, steal baskets, or remove trees. (Some local areas are more tolerant of "tagging" than others).

8: Thou will let faster groups play through.

9:

8 pages and no rick-roll?

Thread fail.

Never gonna throw on you
Never gonna hit no one
Never gonna do anything to get a course pulled

Never gonna throw at your eye
Never gonna hit you so hard you die
Never gonna jeopardize the safety of you

Never gonna leave no trash
Never gonna break some glass
Never gonna damage the course so it can be enjoyed by you

Better?

Never gonna throw on you
Never gonna hit no one
Never gonna do anything to get a course pulled

Never gonna throw at your eye
Never gonna hit you so hard you die
Never gonna jeopardize the safety of you

Never gonna leave no trash
Never gonna break some glass
Never gonna damage the course so it can be enjoyed by you

Better?

Gah! Double negative.

And I'm so sorry I started us down this particular rabbit hole :\

We need to come up with "The Ten Commandments Of Disc Golf" or something and post them at the start of each course.

1: Thou shall not throw on other golfers or park users without their permission.

2: Thou shall make a reasonible effort to return a lost disc that has a phone # on it.

3: Thou will not litter, ever.

4: Thou will only have dogs on leashes, and pick up any poop.

5: Thou will only medicate in remote locations, and only when no children are present.

6: Thou may consume alcoholic beverages, but not to the point of being a distraction or detriment to other golfers.

7: Thou will not vandalize the course, steal baskets, or remove trees. (Some local areas are more tolerant of "tagging" than others).

8: Thou will let faster groups play through.

9:
Oh I came up with one of those ages ago: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showpost.php?p=555164&postcount=63

It's never OK to throw rollers into groups in front. Only Spike hyzers while yelling "My Life!". Make sure to wear a suit.

It's never OK to throw rollers into groups in front. Only Spike hyzers while yelling "My Life!". Make sure to wear a suit.

THIS. Does a track suit count?!?

I do like when I warn people about me throwing and then park the shot. Or when I grip lock and nearly decapitate them. Both are favorites!

Last edited: