• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Even Putter Round

Not quite putter, but I've gone out to shoot my home course at Sylmar with just a Shark and scored -2. My record there with full bag is -5. It kinda shows you how little you really need all that plastic.

I find that even when carrying my full bag, I seldom use more than 3 or maybe 4 discs in a round. 3 of my molds are just for really adverse wind conditions. Others have told me they are just using 4 of the 20 discs they are carrying. And when emac lost his bag and had to borrow discs, he borrowed 4 discs and won. You really don't need all those extra discs. It's usually just a security blanket.

Played a putter only round for the first time yesterday. The course was simple and short...9 holes, all par 3, 220' avg with a single par 4 - 480 footer. I did just as good if not better using just an R-Pro Aviar, Omega SS and a SSS Wizard. What I liked about it was it forces you to play smart and correctly throw the disc over just running and gunning. The guy I played with liked it as well. We will definitely do it more often. :thmbup:

You guys should make it even more interesting. Play a putter round with just one neutral to slightly overstable mold (I'm looking at you, Zone/Pig throwers) and use nothing but non-dominate throwing styles. So if you're BH dominant like me, go play a putter round where you can only throw forehand, overhand and rollers for everything but putts. You will be surprised how much cleaner your form is after even just 1 round of this, and you will learn to actually shape lines instead of just using FH when you need a shot to go right. Forcing yourself to throw that easy 250' left turning hyzer shot forehanded with a putter will teach you awesome things.

I started this last year and even played big courses and I shot very near my average every time. It cleaned up my form, I realized the potential of a putter, and I gained 50' on my max D drives this past Spring. I've challenged some of my friends to do this and only had one bite, he didn't stick with it though. Also, I tried getting a buddy of mine (who manages our leagues) to have a putter only day, he balked at the idea. I continue to do this and I've seen strides in my game.

i've practiced this a lot lately as well. it all started with wanting to clean up my form and throwing from a standstill. after a few sessions i started getting the timing down and realized how far you can throw a putter with no run up whatsoever. before rounds now i like to take about 10-15 tosses from a standstill, then a few more with a slow deliberate run up. if i'm on they just get out there nice and straight with no fade hardly at all.

i really think putter only rounds force you to slow your motion down and not over throw. you can carve some prety wicked lines after playing a few putter only rounds...i definitely know there are shots i can make with a putter now that i would never have guessed otherwise.

if i'm out playing by myself i usually play putters only or maybe putters and mids only. it sucks playing with a buddy or two, because none of them ever want to play putter only or no drivers allowed. if i still intend on playing with no drivers they have gotten pissy before, probably afraid i'll rub it in if they lose using a full bag.

No worries

Don't worry about what your friends are throwing. Don't even worry about the score. Just play the round and do your thing. Then, every once in a while, play it serious and trounce their butts.

I played my first round today with just a Challenger, Magnet and Zone, and scored even. That's roughly my average on the lunch course using ALL of my discs. Simply amazing. I don't know why I even bother with anything else.

I'll tell you why. It's because you have hit close to the max with putters. If you want to improve, you need to learn to use your drivers as well as you use your putters right now.

Which means more field work with drivers, not discing down.

Not quite putter, but I've gone out to shoot my home course at Sylmar with just a Shark and scored -2. My record there with full bag is -5. It kinda shows you how little you really need all that plastic.

No, it shows you how bad you are with the other discs, and how much more practice you have to put in. Unless you want to be playing -2 for the rest of your live and gave up on going for - double digits.

No, it shows you how bad you are with the other discs, and how much more practice you have to put in. Unless you want to be playing -2 for the rest of your live and gave up on going for - double digits.

My home course <and really the only course I can get to> doesn't require much more than a mid. There's a few shots that need a TL or Eagle and that's about it. My driving has been a bit off for the last 8 months, tho. I've developed a bad habit where I pull my right shoulder out and therefore yank the drive 30-40 degrees offline.

When you're not allowed to drive a car anymore, it can be a pain in the ass to get to any courses. I take a 90 min bus ride to my home course which is all of 12 miles away.

I only use three discs at this point, and my fastest BH disc is a Buzzz

It's not due to discing down it's due to the fact that I'm still trying to get the Buzzz to do what I want almost every time on these short ~250' holes before I move on to faster drivers on further holes

I'll tell you why. It's because you have hit close to the max with putters. If you want to improve, you need to learn to use your drivers as well as you use your putters right now.

Which means more field work with drivers.

I would totally disagree with you here. I feel like you're not understanding the benefits of playing with all putters on potentially improving ones game. Perhaps if someone were brand new and couldn't yet throw a driver, but were talking about people throwing over 350-400 with drivers starting to try out their putters only in a lot of these cases. They're not learning "how bad they are with drivers" but more what golf discs are capable of beyond what they'd thought before. I'll just about guarantee any of these people (in the Rec and int. Levels in particular) will instantly see their overall average drop when they return to drivers after experimenting for the time being with all putters.

While I agree that putter rounds have their benefits and can be a great deal of fun and a learning oportunity, I disagree on the whole "putter rounds are the miracle cure for everything" idea.

If you have problems driving your drivers, putter rounds can help you work on your form. But that does not make you automaticaly throw your drivers better. IMO the best thing against driver problems is taking 20 of your drivers, go to a football field, and do field work.

IMO you need all your discs. Limiting yourself to putters is just that, limiting yourself. If you have problems with one of the discs in your bag, I suggest training with that disc, not with all the others you have in your bag.

On the other hand, if you dont have problems and are looking for something fun that widens your horizon, then sure, putter rounds are great. But who here does not have any problems ( aka weak spots in their game) ? :D