• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Even Putter Round

While I agree that putter rounds have their benefits and can be a great deal of fun and a learning oportunity, I disagree on the whole "putter rounds are the miracle cure for everything" idea.

If you have problems driving your drivers, putter rounds can help you work on your form. But that does not make you automaticaly throw your drivers better. IMO the best thing against driver problems is taking 20 of your drivers, go to a football field, and do field work.

IMO you need all your discs. Limiting yourself to putters is just that, limiting yourself. If you have problems with one of the discs in your bag, I suggest training with that disc, not with all the others you have in your bag.

On the other hand, if you dont have problems and are looking for something fun that widens your horizon, then sure, putter rounds are great. But who here does not have any problems ( aka weak spots in their game) ? :D

I agree with smigles... putters are actually more forgiving than mids, fairways, and drivers in a range of tendencies: nose issues, torque issues, and spin issues.

Putters are generally heavy and blunt nose. So they throw more like an object and less like a wing, require less snap to go straight because of the greater gyroscopic capabilities, and will putters will snap from off-axis to on-axis faster. You may learn better control with your put and approach game from all-putter rounds, but it really isn't that great of a tool for nose angle issues and torque issues.

I agree with smigles... putters are actually more forgiving than mids, fairways, and drivers in a range of tendencies: nose issues, torque issues, and spin issues.

Putters are generally heavy and blunt nose. So they throw more like an object and less like a wing, require less snap to go straight because of the greater gyroscopic capabilities, and will putters will snap from off-axis to on-axis faster. You may learn better control with your put and approach game from all-putter rounds, but it really isn't that great of a tool for nose angle issues and torque issues.

What do you suggest is a better disc for addressing the latter?

I do understand that it is a series of discs to diagnose and fix throwing flaws.

ah yes a guy from alaska with 2 posts, this record of his disc golfing exploits should give me insight as to who he is

What would you like to know? I've been playing disc golf since May '09 and I LOVE the sport as much as I love football. I'm an IT guy, specifically Systems/Database administration and I live in Alaska (~30 years). I've played courses in GA, TN, AL, and MO.

What do you suggest is a better disc for addressing the latter?

I do understand that it is a series of discs to diagnose and fix throwing flaws.

A very understable fairway... a roller disc... learn to throw that low, flat, and level without turning it into the ground.

No way. Not even close. A putter will hold OAT almost all the way to the ground. Have you ever even tried driving hard with a putter? Go give it a shot some time. If you put OAT on the disc, it's going to flutter, and burn hard to the ground. Something that faster discs tend to mask.

No way. Not even close. A putter will hold OAT almost all the way to the ground. Have you ever even tried driving hard with a putter? Go give it a shot some time. If you put OAT on the disc, it's going to flutter, and burn hard to the ground. Something that faster discs tend to mask.

Any overstable disc will mask flutter and OAT, putters included.

Any overstable disc will mask flutter and OAT, putters included.

Something like a Zone I'll agree with. But I own 5 Challengers, and they're considered overstable. I can tell you from hundreds of throws over the last month or so that they don't tolerate OAT well at all.

I absolutely love putter rounds but my buddies get angry when I do it. Admittedly, it probably feels pretty crappy throwing your driver and then seeing the next guy buzz past you by 25ft. and land in the middle of the fairway with a dart. I've found that while I can more consistently par the course with a putter, I don't have the occasional awesome rounds I do when I use a driver to good effect so there's a trade off. Lately, the strategy on competitive rounds has been to try and get 3 points ahead and then switch to all putter to avoid huge mistakes and stay consistent.

I absolutely love putter rounds but my buddies get angry when I do it. Admittedly, it probably feels pretty crappy throwing your driver and then seeing the next guy buzz past you by 25ft. and land in the middle of the fairway with a dart.

One of the guys I play with at lunchtime has a max distance of about 300', and his primary driver is a star vulcan. I routinely out-drive him with my pro-d zone. He doesn't get 'angry', but you can tell it bugs the crap out of him. He's one of those that has to continually remind you that he doesn't care about distance, and would rather work on accuracy. I get that, but if that's truly the case, then you wouldn't keep bringing it up. lol

What about grip?

I think grip is a key factor here. A putter has a big ol' rim to hang onto & they are softer plastic, etc (better feel). A driver typically is a lot slicker/smoother plastic with severe angles/edges (not as easy to hold onto) & they have a much shallower rim that you have to scrunch your fingers up into to get a grip on it. If you have a better grip (more comfortable), wouldnt you also have better release/snap/spin/etc? Or would that just induce even more OAT/flip the disc over/bad things happen?
:popcorn:

So Ive been creeping this thread for a little while - and I packed my bag full of putters today, and two mids. Ive gotta say that I didn't throw as terribly as I expected. Some of my drives burned pretty hard, but most of them floated straight up the fairway. I par'd a hole I usually bogey (in that pin position)

My upshots improved a lot - they had to if I wanted to shoot for par.

Cool technique idea here - I think I wanna play a few more rounds like this before I bring my drivers back.

The only part I agree with here is nose angle and blunt nose. Putters require more spin to fly and use more lift/glide like a wing, and less gyroscopic/tolerant of oat. Drivers can be thrown more like simple projectiles with less spin and more oat and much more forgiving of it, and more gyroscopic.