• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Even Putter Round

drickanderson

Double Eagle Member
I decided to start playing ALL of my rounds with just putters, until the wrist angle becomes habit. For some reason, I don't throw drivers the same way I throw putters, so I'm going to play that way until it becomes muscle memory.

I've done a lot of work with putters, and I'm averaging roughly 270' with them, so I played my first round today with just a Challenger, Magnet and Zone, and scored even. That's roughly my average on the lunch course using ALL of my discs. Simply amazing. I don't know why I even bother with anything else. .. lol. It's the trade-off between accuracy and distance.

nice, how much has it helped with the form vs regular discing down

I think it's helped a lot, TBH. Fairways, and even most mids will mask release issues, but if you're really laying into a putter, and you have any kind of release issues, you know it immediately. They don't tolerate much in the way of form issues when they're thrown really hard.

I've also noticed that I really have to pay attention to the weight shift of the disc. More so than I ever did with faster stuff. Getting a good hit becomes crucial when throwing a putter because they simply die and fall out of the sky if you don't.

The other big point of driving with putters is that they have to be thrown really high to get any kind of distance. Problem is that you have to throw them high, but keep the nose down. Once you get that figured out, you see all sorts of things change in your regular game. I'm just going to keep playing this way for a while, because I want the feel of it ingrained in muscle memory, so I don't revert to my old torque-monkey ways.

It is amazing how all putter rounds tend to be some of my best rounds. I think my average all putter round is better than my average round using all discs. Maybe that has something to do with avoiding playing all putter in really bad weather.

When I have a bad drive i will sayto myself "I can beat that with a putter" this makes me calm down and focus. Sometimes I will go out and follow a bad throw in a practice round with a putter throw to reassure myself that I can beat it and that I know better. Kepp this up and you will be a mad man with the Putters.

I'm finding that I'm typically averaging the same to possibly one stroke worse on my home course with putter only. There is only one hole I can't reach with the putter and one more I won't be making regular birdie attempts. Its easiest to stick to putter only rounds when someone else is also playing putter only with/against you.

I have been doing this at my home course as well and scoring fairly close to my average score when using a full arsenal. I miss out on a few birdies but also miss out on a few bogeys. It is certainly therapeutic for my form and overall mindset towards the game. I highly recommend it.

I rarely throw my drivers anymore. (Particularly since the injuries.) I now carry three putters (three weights). The control of a putter can't be beat.

I threw an approach/ drive today, after nailing a tree about 50' from the tee, with my putter. Flat footed, good weight shift and threw it effortlessly past the basket to the tune of about 225'. Every time I do something like that it makes me realize how bad my form really is. with good footwork and the same release I might actually be able to play this game!

Weight shift + snap + smooth release = putter success.

I cannot throw a putter for any distance. Of course, it really shows my flaws and I get frustrated and stop throwing them. If I just played with a putter, I would likely quit.

What do you mean by "smooth release"?

Smooth release

I cannot throw a putter for any distance. Of course, it really shows my flaws and I get frustrated and stop throwing them. If I just played with a putter, I would likely quit.

What do you mean by "smooth release"?[/QUOTE

THAT is the great mystery. If I could answer that I'd be good. All I know is that I make throws with putters and mids from a stand still that fly threw the air really far with very little effort. When I finish those throws I realize how relaxed and easy it felt. Those good throws take no strength or muscle at all. For me it's the Holy Grail. If I can duplicate it consistently, I am decent.

Scored another even round today taking a birdie on 1, and a bogey on 9, after scoring a +2 on the first round. I think I'm just going to stick with this for a while.

Latest posts