• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ever come across a wedding while playing?

Chucker60

Birdie Member
I have…today at least. Had a little free time today so I went to my 'home course' to get in some practice. Long story short, this is what I saw when I got to #15…cars parked directly in front of the teepad & a wedding set up in the fairway. I skipped that hole :)

IMG_0914.jpeg
IMG_0915.jpeg
IMG_0916.jpeg

Lol......I have run across a wedding before. I have sat and waited for dozens of high school kids and parents taking prom pics, a large LARP battle, a cricket match, a guts tournament, large picnics, scads of stick throwing, pecan harvesting families, a 3D archery competition, a tractor pull and just recently a huge crowd watching an eclipse. Parks are for everyone, you just never know what you can find.

Had folks taking wedding pictures at the previous incarnation of the Miami U Oxford, OH course, under the beautifully arched bridge adjacent to the chapel. We had a full tournament in play that day & the wedding party had come out during the lunch break. Seems no one wanted to talk to them, and I think a group ahead of us actually threw. I chose a more diplomatic method: walk up, congratulate them, and show them where they could get some great shots and camera angles about four arches over to the right, out of harms' way.

My nephew got married at Wickham Park in Manchester, CT back in '21. The venue overlooked hole 7 (tee was maybe 70 yards downhill and to the right), so of course, I did what any self-respecting disc golfer would do: I ducked out briefly during the reception and bombed a couple of drives ...

I've been playing at Horning's Hideout when there were weddings in progress, but they don't really affect play. I think there was a sign once on Meadowridge 18 teepad that asked to hold any noise down out of respect for the wedding. Concerts they have there are a different animal, they have to use some fairways for parking.

Not only have I come across a wedding, I took part in as a spectator with a hundred other disc golfers to Don and Laura Q's wedding. I think it was in June of 2003. It was also maybe during one of the first Ziegenbock Texas 10 events. I may have the date and place wrong as that was a few years ago.

Last edited:
I haven't that I recall. There's clearly an overhand line over that Lexus though. Should get most folks into position for a putter approach over grams for an easy 3 look. ;)

Being in bumfuck nowhere WI I don't actually see too much other interference actually, which I love. It's usually senior and holiday pictures that pose a problem once in a while.

Plenty of weddings at the Jacobson Park course here in Lexington, Kentucky. There was one in the trees this past Saturday evening.

By the way, whoever dropped their bag of Oregano, you need to be more careful where you store it while playing. Not only that but as an avid home cook, you might want to check your garden because this stuff smelled pretty weird.

Lol......I have run across a wedding before. I have sat and waited for dozens of high school kids and parents taking prom pics, a large LARP battle, a cricket match, a guts tournament, large picnics, scads of stick throwing, pecan harvesting families, a 3D archery competition, a tractor pull and just recently a huge crowd watching an eclipse. Parks are for everyone, you just never know what you can find.

I have witness a badminton net and game started on a hole #18 before. :)

Hard to tell from the pic but I'd just not "really" play it but throw a genuine Frisbee a bunch of times over on that left side where they aren't to say I "played" it 🤪

Probably the most weird thing I've had blocking a hole is a helicopter landing.

Now the course is next to the the next to the emergency services building in my town, but I doubt that had anything to do with it.

Lefty backhand prone to griplock. Am notorious for hitting or nearly so cars on the streets off to the left of holes which dominate the local course. One hole has a wedding photo op way outta range, but I came close.

Friends say "target locked" whenever there is a car in the vicinity.

The parc we have our course in also has a very photogenic spot at a lake and a restaurant in the middle of a rose garden. There are weddings almost every week and lots of photoshoots.

Years ago, @kenjiac was the TD at an event and had to blow the two minute horn in the middle of a wedding ceremony. He got so many dirty looks and had to announce to them he'd be blowing it again.
Good ol' CPS...I think I've played maybe once and not had a wedding going on behind 18s tee.

I've never had to deal with a wedding party on the course, however I've had to deal with cars parked near baskets in league play, one case I wasn't worried because technically they were parked on the grass which is expressly forbidden on multiple signs when you enter the area of the course. I managed to not hit the truck, but it definitely made lines a bit more challenging. Thankfully they were only there for the first time through but still made it definitely inconvenient especially when they could've just as easily parked on both sides of the entry road...🤦🏻‍♂️

Pendleton King Park in Augusta, GA has a gazebo, stage, and flower garden just behind the basket for hole 18. The old basket position (15-16 years ago) played over the garden. That garden is a popular spot for weddings. It also hosted some kids storytimes on weekday mornings. I kinda got goaded into throwing over storytime once. Luckily I bounced off the roof of the stage and got the 2. Scary few seconds while the disc was in the air that helped me make smarter choices in future situations like those.