• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ever run from a course screaming?

Had a hornets nest in the ground on the edge of the fairway on my home course, sprayed into it at night 3 times before I got tired of fighting with them and finally stuck a big stick in the entrance of the nest. That killed them. Dug it up afterwards and figured out why I couldn't kill them it was a huge nest. Hate those bastards they are very aggressive.:mad:

I have wanted to run away screaming once when I first started due to how badly I was putting! Then I got an Aviar and a Dart and that fixed that!

Somehow I never got sentimentally attached to Shady Oaks.

No kiddin'? :D

Yeah, that place was a mosquito nightmare, not to mention anything of trying to find your disc if it went off into the cane :doh:

BTW - It is retention pond

Mosquitos can occasionally be bad in Calgary if its been wet a while at the right time of year, but generally deet will ward them away. Once however, there must have been a 'perfect storm' scenario where they were simply atrocious. On this evening, a friend and I first tryed to tough out the onslaught only to realize by the base of the hill, hole 3 on Forest Lawn we were being drained. Wild slapping with a disc in hand at every body surface turned into a run back to the parking lot with me leaving my friends shirt in a bloody mess trying to save him whacking a layer of mosquito feeding on his back. No screaming, but running and cursing, check.

While I did not run from the course, I did walk off of Goat Island in Cramerton NC after 12 holes. The mosquitos were swarming and my 99% deet did nothing to dissuade them.

Nearly duplicated this experience exactly. If I didn't want to review the course so badly, I would have.

A deerfly following me from almost every hole at Rockness in Roxboro, NC definitely made me finish my round swearing. $(*$(&#(%& I hate those #*$&#($%) things.

Nearly duplicated this experience exactly. If I didn't want to review the course so badly, I would have.

A deerfly following me from almost every hole at Rockness in Roxboro, NC definitely made me finish my round swearing. $(*$(&#(%& I hate those #*$&#($%) things.

That is funny, I have had the same experience at Rockness with the deer files following me for most of the round. I found that if I walk through enough spider webs (easy at Rockness) the deer flies eventually quit following me.

I got stuck between two timber rattlers this year. That was an interesting experience. There were screams on the inside as I slowly backed away with a disc ready to chuck if need be. A 6 pack was needed after that one.

That is funny, I have had the same experience at Rockness with the deer files following me for most of the round. I found that if I walk through enough spider webs (easy at Rockness) the deer flies eventually quit following me.

I hate deer flies. However, I found that resting a Vibram putter on top of my head makes them go away. Must be something in the rubber.

It seems the wasps are aplenty nowadays... my local course has a ground nest in between 7 and 8, and Brandy Lake in Woodruff WI has got one just after hole 4.... I was about 3 feet from it yesterday and I have no clue why I wasn't swarmed.... the rest of you seem to have much worse luck than me when it comes to those evil things.

I hate deer flies. However, I found that resting a Vibram putter on top of my head makes them go away. Must be something in the rubber.

Deer flies go for the highest part of the rear of the animal. Which, on most animals, is, uh, a soft target. So, that disc on your head just moved the deer flies up a bit. Put some tape on it sticky side out if you want to collect a lot of flies.

Holding your hand over your head or wearing a tall hat will do the same thing.

The first year Seneca Creek was installed I kept wondering why John Powell's shoes kept becoming untied during our round. It took a while to realize that he was dumping his deer flies on me or Craiger every time he did it.

The first year Seneca Creek was installed I kept wondering why John Powell's shoes kept becoming untied during our round. It took a while to realize that he was dumping his deer flies on me or Craiger every time he did it.

That's genius!