• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Ever seen one of these?

okiebullgod

Eagle Member
phenixprofile.jpg

phenixstamp.jpg

The bottom of the flight plate says Champion Discs Inc. and has a patent number. It's a dinner plate, like a jumbo leopard.

It's an old-school large diameter driver. It was quite overstable. At one time Sam Ferrans held the distance record with one.

Today it is best used for picnics...flip it over and use it as a dinner plate. The rim gives you something solid to help you push your food up onto your spork.

It's an old-school large diameter driver. It was quite overstable. At one time Sam Ferrans held the distance record with one.

Today it is best used for picnics...flip it over and use it as a dinner plate. The rim gives you something solid to help you push your food up onto your spork.
Do you happen to know what that distance was?

Thanks. It's kind of neat. I'll just let it sit on the shelf. I found this and another while looking for one of my rogue discs.

Something to consider though is a lot of the newer distance records that are held are usually the result of a major tailwind on their drives. I'm some of the old ones are too.

Dang, that's like 640'. I cant imagine trying to crush that big sucker that far.
I saw a lot of the old-time players and they could be impressive in different ways, but the two guys that I would have paid to see again were Ferrans and Scott Stokely. Pure power. I was a total noob but I knew Ferrans held the distance record with a Phenix. We were watching him tee and he crushed a 400'+ hole and parked it. I said to my buddy "Wow, he can really crank that Phenix" and a guy next to us turned to me and said "Dude, that was an Aviar." This was back in the early 90's when it was news when you saw anybody throw much over 300'. Ferrans could bomb.

I saw Ferrans throw an Aviar 400 ft and complain that it turned over. I still have a few beat up Phenix's, a couple are the same color as in the OP. Today it's replaced by the Firebird, imo.

eta: When you bought a Phenix the first thing you did was find a grass/dirt patch and start throwing it into the ground to get the new stability out. I don't mean high throws, we would stand there and throw it straight into the ground as hard as we could.

Last edited:
Jeez, it was over 400', it just wasn't 500'. And it was parked and 100' farther than the rest of the lead card who were throwing Stingrays and Eclipses.

It's impressive, but I've seen it done. My point is that the Phenix is so awkward feeling and big, that sending it 640' seems super impressive.

I guess I saw a lot of guys crank Scorpions back in the day, so the Phenix doesn't seem so awful to me. It was really, really overstable and I can't throw it, but I couldn't throw a Viper either and guys broke the distance record with those. The guys with the cannon arms threw really overstable stuff like the Phenix, that was who the discs were made for. I suspect that with that huge diameter that if you have the power to get that thing going it would have some big glide, and Ferrans had the power to get that thing going.

I'm going to have to take it out for some testing now. I'll report how far I can get with it, and how it flies for me. I only tossed it 30' to my buddy when i found it. It just feels weird and clunky in hand. Thank you to everyone who replied here. I'll keep it displayed since I think it's pretty neato.

400' with an Aviar....so so.

WHAT? I have major respect for anyone that can 400' bomb an Aviar. Double that if they did it on a COURSE and parked it!

That's freakin' ridiculous. I wish I could have seen that.

WHAT? I have major respect for anyone that can 400' bomb an Aviar. Double that if they did it on a COURSE and parked it!

That's freakin' ridiculous. I wish I could have seen that.

Lol. I was only trying to make the point that the Phenix is way more awkward than an Aviar in hand and that I was MORE impressed by the 640' record it held. If you're ever in Norman, OK, there's a handful or more guys that can show you a putter crush/park.

I've got an old yellow 168g Scorpion that I bought in the late 90's when I was in college. It's a little bigger than a Roc, but not huge. I haven't thrown it in years, but it's pretty well beat from my college days. :)

Held the record for 5 years with that disc. Longest ever except for the current one. Surprised by some of the discs on the list. DX Teebird? I have always considered mine more of a fairway driver.

yes 400' on a golf line with an Aviar is a lot more impressive than a distance competition throw with any disc.