• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Stiffer flight plate = more distance?

I BELIEVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i get most distance with stiff DX plastic!
just my opinion of course... ;)

That's reasonable with DX. The abrasions base plastic discs accumulate act like the dimples on a golf ball, breaking up the air surrounding the disc and aiding in distance. I can get more technical but yeah, with DX that makes sense I suppose.

More importantly, do you get more distance with a soft plate DX or a firm plate Champion/Star?

The best Soft X APX are yellow. White is acceptable. Orange is pushing it. All other colors are straight-up trash; only the yellow and white ones have the magic APX glide. I'm not sure why, but I'll die on that hill. :|

I suppose Zenbot will eulogize you after you die on that hill?

Why would you have someone who hates me eulogize me? Are you going to roast me after I'm dead or something?

I was under the impression his feelings toward you are closer to "strongly despise," but fall short of true hatred.

That's reasonable with DX. The abrasions base plastic discs accumulate act like the dimples on a golf ball, breaking up the air surrounding the disc and aiding in distance. I can get more technical but yeah, with DX that makes sense I suppose.

More importantly, do you get more distance with a soft plate DX or a firm plate Champion/Star?

DX is kinda different, I don't throw it but it makes things like a firebird controllable... biggest difference I noticed was between champ and star. I found those the most comparable. Straight line (champ) vs small S (star). Straightest line is always shortest distance between 2 points... but I'm still only talking about 5-10' (tops)

Stay away from MY yellow comets, they're all MINE I just haven't bought them yet.

Last edited:
I was under the impression his feelings toward you are closer to "strongly despise," but fall short of true hatred.
Don't fool yourself. If you aren't a Cheez-It cracker, he hates you.

You have never noticed the strange awesomeness that is a yellow Soft X APX? It's the next best thing to a swirl.

Specifically with XD's I call Bull****. In the 90's the stiff DX for years came out domey, the soft DX came out flat. The flat XD's bombed. The best thing that happened to the XD in the 90's was when they started running them in the softer putter plastic from the Aviar PandA. Less dome; more bomb.

Stiff flight plates are hooey. :|

Specifically with XD's I call Bull****. In the 90's the stiff DX for years came out domey, the soft DX came out flat. The flat XD's bombed. The best thing that happened to the XD in the 90's was when they started running them in the softer putter plastic from the Aviar PandA. Less dome; more bomb.

Stiff flight plates are hooey. :|

Thanks for having my back:thmbup:

Just a, "thought experiment" to give others the benefit of the doubt lol

Also I call BS on the stiff flight plate theory because my experience, not backed by any sort of science, is that PFN pro plastic has more "spring" out of your hand and goes farther.

Don't fool yourself. If you aren't a Cheez-It cracker, he hates you.

You have never noticed the strange awesomeness that is a yellow Soft X APX? It's the next best thing to a swirl.

I actually had a yellow APX, but that was years ago. I can't recall whether it flew or felt any different. I've been bagging a white one for years. I'm positive I had it when we played Spencer Davis.

I have another just like it plus four swirls sitting in the practice basket in my garage. I use them whenever I pull my basket out.

But I've just gotten used to the one in my bag, so that's what I putt with. Seems to be just a bit less stable than the others, probs just from more use.

The good news is, I can miss chains just fine with any APX, so I'm really not all that picky. :|

I actually had a yellow APX, but that was years ago. I can't recall whether it flew or felt any different. I've been bagging a white one for years. I'm positive I had it when we played Spencer Davis.

I have another just like it plus four swirls sitting in the practice basket in my garage. I use them whenever I pull my basket out.

But I've just gotten used to the one in my bag, so that's what I putt with. Seems to be just a bit less stable than the others, probs just from more use.

The good news is, I can miss chains just fine with any APX, so I'm really not all that picky. :|
The APX was a "fix it" recommendation way back when; I prefer to torque monkey on a Wizard or KC Pro Aviar, but at one point I totally lost all ability to throw a putter and a guy said I should throw APX for a bit to get the touch back. I think I had a yellow and red one, the yellow one was more stable, had more glide, and was just better in every way.

I drop them and go back to the torque monkey as soon as they help me fix my problems, so when I need them I just buy more. Three times I bought them, three times the good one was the yellow one.

The last time I needed them somebody was unloading misprint Jawbreakers for $5 so I didn't get a yellow one. :\ My daughter stole my last soft X yellow one; I tried to get her to take a Jawbreaker one but she realized the yellow soft X was magic and took it.

At least she kept it in the family.

She's my doubles partner; I see that disc in the basket every week 'cause lord knows I'm not the good putter in that duo. :|

Haha kids, thats where my coolest concert shirts went!

Hey I was looking for you... are orange elite X cyclones any good? I just bought one :D

...kinda in good faith because the guy thinks he has an orange scorpion.... :D :D scorpions have to be orange... duh.

Haha kids, thats where my coolest concert shirts went!

Hey I was looking for you... are orange elite X cyclones any good? I just bought one :D

...kinda in good faith because the guy thinks he has an orange scorpion.... :D :D scorpions have to be orange... duh.
Somebody say orange Scorpion?

picture.php

Cyclones are weird. For me in X for some reason they just didn't go anywhere. They would ride the same lines as the TP Cyclones and pretty much act like a TP Cyclone, then land 20' short of where the TP Cyclones were landing. :\ Since I'm a weenie arm I didn't have 20' to give.

I did have an Orange 150g TP Cyclone (I still have it I think) that I got to try to quick beat into a turnover disc; it was weirdly stable for a Cyclone and didn't work at all for what I wanted it for but I threw it for a while.

picture.php

Latest posts