• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Everything I throw rhbh goes about 275-300 ft, what next?

ckvp

Hello,

I have discs from ranging from speed 4, Discraft Buzzz and DD Truth up to a speed 11 Wraith and many in-between that all go about 275-300 ft, and are near each other (only thing that's different is how far left they go off the straight line I throw). I have higher speed discs but they just hyzer out when I throw them and end around the same, maybe even shorter. What should I focus on next? I'm at a loss but want to get up over 300' consistently. I can throw putters over 200' as well.

Guessing you need to work on not throwing with the nose up.

Well, it's more than a guess because I was where you are at one point.

For me, putters actually like a little nose-up angle for good distance. The fact that you're getting decent distance with the putter likely means they're going slightly nose up.

Nose up with that Wraith you mentioned is just going to kill distance. Kind of like having a fast car and driving around with the parking brake engaged.

Check out the form & technique section. Do some drills, keep playing.

Thank you, I now see that wonderful thread!

Guessing you need to work on not throwing with the nose up.

Well, it's more than a guess because I was where you are at one point.

For me, putters actually like a little nose-up angle for good distance. The fact that you're getting decent distance with the putter likely means they're going slightly nose up.

Nose up with that Wraith you mentioned is just going to kill distance. Kind of like having a fast car and driving around with the parking brake engaged.

Any drills or tips you know of to keep the nose down? I feel like there is such a small window between skying it and grounding it.

Any drills or tips you know of to keep the nose down? I feel like there is such a small window between skying it and grounding it.

Biggest thing for me is making sure my grip is right (meaty part of your index finger on the top of the rim) and getting my weight onto my front foot. I still sky throws pretty often if I have weird footing and forget to transfer my weight.

Not sure if the same things work for everyone but I'll toss out a few simple things that worked for me.

Keep my shoulders square and parallel to the ground. I had a bad habit of dipping my rear shoulder during the pull through. I also try and keep my torso straight because I had a bad habit of leaning back during my reach back.

Less reach back. Might sound counterintuitive to distance but reaching back less helps keep my body rotating throughout my swing rather than leaning side to side which greatly helped me to throw flat and level.

And keeping my wrist in that "pouring a cup of coffee" position really made a difference.

Also, that whole "slow is smooth and smooth is far" thing has a lot of truth to it. Any time I was really trying to bite off distance my form would suffer when I tried to add additional speed or power to my shot. I learned that smooth, straight, flat and level always works best and the disc will do it's part and fly right.

Biggest thing for me is making sure my grip is right (meaty part of your index finger on the top of the rim) and getting my weight onto my front foot. I still sky throws pretty often if I have weird footing and forget to transfer my weight.

Is this describing the "power grip" or are you placing your index finger differently than the rest?

Not sure if the same things work for everyone but I'll toss out a few simple things that worked for me.

Keep my shoulders square and parallel to the ground. I had a bad habit of dipping my rear shoulder during the pull through. I also try and keep my torso straight because I had a bad habit of leaning back during my reach back.

Less reach back. Might sound counterintuitive to distance but reaching back less helps keep my body rotating throughout my swing rather than leaning side to side which greatly helped me to throw flat and level.

And keeping my wrist in that "pouring a cup of coffee" position really made a difference.

Also, that whole "slow is smooth and smooth is far" thing has a lot of truth to it. Any time I was really trying to bite off distance my form would suffer when I tried to add additional speed or power to my shot. I learned that smooth, straight, flat and level always works best and the disc will do it's part and fly right.

This so so helpful! I feel that I do a lot of these things, can't wait to try them out. Thanks!

Last edited:
Is this describing the "power grip" or are you placing your index finger differently than the rest?

I believe he's talking about the meaty part on the base of your index.
When lining up the disc in your hand place the nose between your index and long finger, then wrap your index. You'll see the meaty part on top of the disc.

Stay on the balls of your feet, not heels. Getting on your heels will have you leaning back and throwing nose up. Unfortunately the swing is one entire complicated process, with not a lot of margin for error.

Take video, from the side and from behind, and post in the Form Analisys/Critique section. Or, start reading and watching through several of those threads to see patterns that you also have to remedy.

This is just a guess, but those driver throws that go straight into to the ground are probably the ones you actually get the nose down on. If you are throwing nose-up, but getting a fairly flat flight of the disc, the plane of your swing is probably even to the ground or even slightly downward. The nose being up then pushes the disc back up. Throwing on a higher trajectory, but still nose up, you get those big skies.

So, to throw nose down effectively, you have to do more than just change the nose angle. If that is all you do, you'll turf the disc in a hurry. I believe sidewinder22 has said in the past that in order to get the nose down, he advises people to start with a lower reach back and higher finish, while still trying to get a flatter throw.

You can see some good discussion of this phenomena from Danny Lindahl here:

The good news is that if you're throwing Buzzzes and Truths 275–300, even with nose-up issues, you have some power. Fix those angle problems and you should be throwing drivers well over 300 ft. :thmbup:

So many great tips, thanks all!

How can I have a "pour the coffee", but also have a loose wrist for "snap"?

The good news is that if you're throwing Buzzzes and Truths 275–300, even with nose-up issues, you have some power. Fix those angle problems and you should be throwing drivers well over 300 ft. :thmbup:

Probably more like 250 for those, but thanks for the encouragement!

A LOT of people saying nose up, but it doesn't sound like nose up. I'd love to see video of your throw to determine if your release is clean. A lot of the points made here regarding grip are going to help you a lot - but not because they're going to limit your "nose up." It sounds like your problem is that the discs have a lot of wobble on release. If someone's problem is just "nose up" the discs will still fly different distances. They'll be limited in how far, but a nose up Buzzz and a nose up Wraith both thrown hard and clean are not going to fly the same distance.

A poor release causing wobble will tend to result in your discs all flying the same distance because they'll all wind up catching turbulence and running out of speed quickly. The disc shaking all over the place is going to have a ton of air-resistance killing the flight whether it has a sharp edge or a blunt edge. You're negating the aerodynamics of the different discs to an extent, so you're just heaving objects that are effectively "the same" once you account for the wobble.

A LOT of people saying nose up, but it doesn't sound like nose up. I'd love to see video of your throw to determine if your release is clean. A lot of the points made here regarding grip are going to help you a lot - but not because they're going to limit your "nose up." It sounds like your problem is that the discs have a lot of wobble on release. If someone's problem is just "nose up" the discs will still fly different distances. They'll be limited in how far, but a nose up Buzzz and a nose up Wraith both thrown hard and clean are not going to fly the same distance.

A poor release causing wobble will tend to result in your discs all flying the same distance because they'll all wind up catching turbulence and running out of speed quickly. The disc shaking all over the place is going to have a ton of air-resistance killing the flight whether it has a sharp edge or a blunt edge. You're negating the aerodynamics of the different discs to an extent, so you're just heaving objects that are effectively "the same" once you account for the wobble.

Thanks for your insight. I will try to take some footage this weekend. I certainly notice that some of my discs wobble, especially if they have a large lip, like my EMac Truth and even my Buzzz sometimes.

Edit: These are also my heaviest discs at 189g and 178+ respectively. I don't know if that helps.

Last edited:
OP said:
Everything I throw rhbh goes about 275-300 ft, what next?
I'd say it's time to learn to range your shots, and work on your short game. It's hard to hit the basket when everything's going 275-300.

:p