• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Executing The Dream

I loathe the end of DST. It's dark when I leave for work in the morning and there's only an hour of light after I get home. In a couple weeks its gonna be dark when I leave and dark on my way home. Depressing.

IC, the next tools on my dream list are:

A PTO-powered chipper/shredder

I need to add a chipper to the list. Weekly piles of brush to burn is getting old.

I'm not sure if my tractor could push a PTO chipper, what kind of HP is required? Plus, the PTO cuts off if you aren't in the seat. Not that it couldn't be rigged up.

I need to add a chipper to the list. Weekly piles of brush to burn is getting old.

I'm not sure if my tractor could push a PTO chipper, what kind of HP is required? Plus, the PTO cuts off if you aren't in the seat. Not that it couldn't be rigged up.

Definitely add a chipper if you can. Not only do you not have to burn - but now you have piles of chips for low areas and other fun.

No idea. I glimpsed and drooled at some rated for 20-40 HSP tractors, which fits us. Never seen one in person, myself. We have a compact tractor, I guess, but the PTO runs while unoccupied, and this would beat a gasoline-powered chipper because it would be easy to move, and one less engine to maintain.

We've gotten past burning and are now dragging stuff far off the fairway. But chipping it would be altogether better.

I loathe the end of DST. It's dark when I leave for work in the morning and there's only an hour of light after I get home. In a couple weeks its gonna be dark when I leave and dark on my way home. Depressing.

Yeah, November-January I only see my place on weekends---it's dark, the rest of the time I'm there---and I get homesick for it. Even though I live there.

I campaigned to get the start of DST declared a holiday. Even though it's a Sunday anyway.

I looked into some of the DR chippers and it seems my tractor is right at the low end of the requirements. 25hp tractor, 19 at the PTO with 540 rpms. It would run it but I'm guessing it couldn't handle the bigger branches as well as a bigger tractor.

More pics on the progress of Mill Creek. I have it up on discgolfscene to track the progress and hope to have at least 18 holes done by Christmas so I can add it to dgcr.

222787_g.jpg

222786_g.jpg

222790_g.jpg

222800_g.jpg

222783_g.jpg

Mill Creek looks fantastic.

man I love this thread.

222836_g.jpg

222781_g.jpg

63612_m.jpg

200784_g.jpg

222804_g.jpg

by this time next year I should have all 24 holes done with 2-3 tees each.

You should post the Mill Creek pictures over on Reddit Disc golf - they're all posting up tunnel shots at the moment, these would put them to shame ;)

Looks lovely, It's great seeing these things develop!

That looks like a beautiful piece of property Donny! Good looking wood lot.

How much acreage do you have to mow?

That looks like a beautiful piece of property Donny! Good looking wood lot.

How much acreage do you have to mow?

Thanks man

I mow about 10 acres out of the 30 we have. About 15 acres are heavily wooded, 10 lightly wooded acres, and 5 acres that are more open/grassy. I usually have about 4 hrs worth of cutting on the zero-turn every 10 days or so during the peak growing season. Weed trimming takes a while but is only needed 3-4 times a year.

The hardest part is avoiding all the obstacles/trees/anthills/rocks/etc. with the mower. I've almost spent 1k on repairs to it this year alone. :doh: A new deck-shell put me back $500 and I had to strip down the old one for the other parts.

Donny, I may be mixing stories in my mind and am not inclined to re-read this tome to check, but aren't you one of the folks who looked at buying another property before ending up where you are? I know that's IC's story, and remember a conversation with someone else in Michigan who was out to buy land and build a course. Just can't recall if it was you.

Donny, I may be mixing stories in my mind and am not inclined to re-read this tome to check, but aren't you one of the folks who looked at buying another property before ending up where you are? I know that's IC's story, and remember a conversation with someone else in Michigan who was out to buy land and build a course. Just can't recall if it was you.

Yeah it was prob me. I emailed you, Flip and Flyboy for advice :)
I really liked the area where that OTHER property is located. We moved just 10 mins NW of there. It sold right after we closed on our place. I still drive by there on my way to Port Huron.

Another chunk of land (160+ acres) across the hwy from the OTHER property just popped up on the market a month or two ago. Really nice piece with a small river, mature hardwoods, ravines, elevation, etc. But, I have a place already and have my hands full for a while.

So these fabulous pictures are the property you had to settle for?

It all looks wonderful.

So these fabulous pictures are the property you had to settle for?

It all looks wonderful.

We're very thankful for our place. I give all the credit to God for making it happen. Hopefully he blesses all you guys too in your quest for the ultimate dream :)

Been starting the mission of getting a new course in Shawnee State Park in Portsmouth, Ohio. It isn't my land.... but this might turn into something better. They are giving us free reign out here. I am starting a new club... closest course is 45 minutes away.

The park is giving us 225 acres to work with! This place has everything.... elevation change of 300'.... tight woods, steep hills, 1500' of lake shoreline, creeks, open-flat land.... everything!

Johnny Sias and Drew Ziegler will be doing the design for us.

We have about 5k raised of the estimated 12k that we think that we will need for 18 holes with 36 pads (blue and white.... completely different shots because we have so much room). The parks will let us do whatever we want.

Like I said... it isn't my land.... and because of that, this course might be even better :) I will try to post pics as we go.