• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Executing The Dream

That's awesome news! My father in law lives just across the river in Greenup Co. KY. We've always had to go 45 minutes to Ashland to get a round in.

Yep.... we are going to go walk the property maybe next weekend to let Johnny start dreaming up the design. This could seriously be a top 25 course. The only courses that I have played with all of these features are in the top 25 I believe (Holler, Madisonville, Idlewild). With such a great designer and a great piece of land.... there is no reason why Shawnee State wouldn't be the same.

After this is a success, we will build a second course (gold and blue pads)... just because I want to make the place a worthwhile scene for those travelling quite a ways. Parks wants us to build the courses... and we can raise the money. Can't freaking wait!

I was looking forward to the end of the summer months, meaning a time when I could focus some hours on developing my course some more. Then on the last day of summer, I broke my foot, so for the last 2 and a half months, I've gotten nothing done. My iWalk has given me mobility I never imagined I could have.

Yesterday I jumped in the truck and decided to see if I could pull stumps out of the fairway of blue hole 2. It went so well I worked until I couldn't see any more, then I worked by the light of the headlights for a while until I was exhausted. This morning I went out and finished pulling stumps until I could run the lawn mower over it. Now it looks awesome!

One pic from the tee, one pic looking back towards the tee from the basket (notice the same leaning tree in the distance). Hole plays about 300' with about a 30' elevation gain in the final 60' of fairway, the green drops off behind and to the right of the basket.

Attachments

• 1385227_10152910087941458_5424422624490735898_n.jpg
    1385227_10152910087941458_5424422624490735898_n.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 10480183_10152910087641458_8930702425313722992_n.jpg
    10480183_10152910087641458_8930702425313722992_n.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 41
Rest that foot, and spend your time thinking and drawing maps.

In the early days at Stoney Hill, we had no idea which way to go. We had built 7 or 8 holes, not in any particular order, and had a bewildering number of options in front of us.

One day my brother went hunting in a deer stand. After 4 hours of sitting very quietly, looking at what he could see and thinking about things, he came in and drew out a map showing potential routing and future holes. Though much has changed since that map, the general scheme and routing remain, and a few holes came to fruition much as he had drawn them, but about 5 years later.

Mill creek and bald eagle are looking great! I need to come play some of those northern courses!

@david, I agree with most things you post here. What you just posted has me a bit baffled though. I'm all about Dg and everything, but did you just infer that y'all sacrificed a hunting spot for Dg?!?!? Now that's dedication. Dg is my past time but hunting is the reason I miss work lol.

@david, I agree with most things you post here. What you just posted has me a bit baffled though. I'm all about Dg and everything, but did you just infer that y'all sacrificed a hunting spot for Dg?!?!? Now that's dedication. Dg is my past time but hunting is the reason I miss work lol.

LOL. No worries, we didn't. The tree stand he was sitting in is about 100' up a fairway, facing a food plot that goes off at a right angle to it.

But truth be told, deer are so plentiful there that there's no problem with dual-use.

Unfortunately, since his children were born he doesn't get much chance to hunt anymore (and I don't hunt, myself).

Bah. I've spent enough time resting and recovering - I'm able to push it for a couple hours a day now. I'm not putting any weight on my foot, I never feel an increase in pain or any discomfort or even an increase in swelling. I understand you care, and don't want to see me re-injured, but my body is thanking me for finally getting off the couch and feeling some exertion. I won't push it too hard, I promise.

Now hole 2 white needs a revamp and several other blue holes need a lot of work before my event in 2 weeks - I'm not anywhere near where I hoped to be by event time, but I will have an awesome memorable course ready for them to play by then.

Actually, I'm saying take advantage of the situation by doing some planning. Ourselves, we spend too much time playing, or working; we almost need to take time just to stand in fairways, to stand off fairways and look at other angles; to look backwards from the basket to see the approach lines, etc.

I trust you to figure out how much to push your foot. I've gone through shoulder and knee surgery, not nearly as severe as your injury but enough to know how it feels to be out for an extended time, and recovering.

Right on. I continue to surprise myself with new ideas and routes every time I walk through. I've been spending a lot of time driving around on the lawn mower imagining lines.

We just built a new hole, teeing from an area we'd never made use of before. We've only been here, what, 10 years now? And there was a walking trail there, so it's not like we'd never seen it. But it finally clicked as to what we could do with it.

Early snowfall. This was what we awoke to this morning. It took me 2 tries to get up the end of the driveway, but the Subaru was up to the challenge.

I just hope it sticks around long enough for me to walk around in the woods before it all melts. I really like the winter and good snowfalls.

Attachments

• IMAG0720.jpg
    IMAG0720.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 44
I'll ship you some of mine if you want more snow, I could do without it this year, and it came earlier than ever - usually if it comes this early it will melt in a few days, but this one looks like it might stick around 'til march...

Just scored a couple more baskets :)
We'll be up to 26 now :hfive:
Now to update my For Sale thread and sell some discs before the wifey catches wind. :D

10308180_10101135162322796_1247610634581536567_n.jpg

A preview of the land at Shawnee State Park.... where we will be building 2 championship level courses. It isn't my land... but it is my dream :)

We just built a new hole, teeing from an area we'd never made use of before. We've only been here, what, 10 years now? And there was a walking trail there, so it's not like we'd never seen it. But it finally clicked as to what we could do with it.

Every time I see you post things like this it makes me want to jump in the car for a cross country road trip to Stoney Hill. We definitely want to come back and see the diamond layout and all the new/changed holes you guys have built.

Lucky dog

10308180_10101135162322796_1247610634581536567_n.jpg

A preview of the land at Shawnee State Park.... where we will be building 2 championship level courses. It isn't my land... but it is my dream :)

Awesome buddy :hfive:

...and you don't even have to cut the grass or invest your own cash :hfive:

Good luck on the courses. Looks like prime land for championship courses. :clap:

btw, I just scored basket #27 for us. Now I just need to sell some discs to "replace" the money I "borrowed" from our Christmas fund.

Every time I see you post things like this it makes me want to jump in the car for a cross country road trip to Stoney Hill. We definitely want to come back and see the diamond layout and all the new/changed holes you guys have built.

Hope you make it back one day.

We've reached the point, with overlapping layouts, where you really need to play two rounds to play everything. If you don't make it in the next few years, who knows how many rounds it will take.

I would love to make it down there to play Stoney... maybe if I get to go to Columbia next Thanksgiving I will catch up. How are the fireants that way?