• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Executing The Dream

Looks like you guys are gonna have some fun with the process.

Love me some downhill shots :)

I think I'll have to travel to play that course when it's done; that will be a really fun hole!

A few pics from today.

Attachments

• IMAG0847.jpg
    IMAG0847.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 59
  • IMAG0834.jpg
    IMAG0834.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 64
  • IMAG0837.jpg
    IMAG0837.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 59
Sure can see a lot more in your winter pictures than we could last summer.

Lotsa' work to do, is mostly what I see.

Also, the property looks much better with a basket in the picture.

I've got a friend visiting the area in May, and told him to contact you. With the disclaimer that I have no idea if you'll be accepting visitors. But I thought a deadline might help motivate you, especially on the cold muddy days to come.

We've been getting out for 4-6 hours at least once a weekend now that the holidays are over. We got a ton cut and dragged out last weekend with my buddy the arborist over. I'm shooting for 9 playable holes by summer, 5 of which are wooded, 2 mostly open, and 2 moderately wooded. As long as my bro in law keeps helping like he has I think it's doable.

I'm really looking forward to getting down to the creek. I worked on clearing a trail yesterday so the side by side can access that area. It was definitely a trail at one time but has been taken over by thorns.

I really love the picture of the creek with the snow on the ground; that will be a great spot to have a few holes

I really love the picture of the creek with the snow on the ground; that will be a great spot to have a few holes

Yeah, that's the new background on my phone. :)

I've got about 1600' of creek to work with as it snakes through the northernmost portion of the property. It's actually some of the flattest land other than the ridgetop which is more rolling.

That picture might just end up being a hole since it sets up the perfect direction to start working back up and out of the woods to the other side of the driveway where the ponds are. Plus there's a natural penninsula that will make a sweet green area.

Haven't seen you around the ViP in awhile InnocentCrook, but I've been following your progress throughout this thread :)

I can't say I'm not excited for you, but I can say I'm jealous.

I've got a friend visiting the area in May, and told him to contact you. With the disclaimer that I have no idea if you'll be accepting visitors. But I thought a deadline might help motivate you, especially on the cold muddy days to come.

I love sharing my little slice of heaven. So long as I'm home I'd be happy to show him around. I can't guarantee how far along I'll be, but we're giving it hell. Daylight savings can't come soon enough.

1st draft of our course.... we have 19 holes currently... so we will drop a hole or make a hole a par 4.
We have a really great mix.... 6 openish holes with only a few trees in play....several that play downhill. Keeping the 400ft downhill shot. Total course length from the longs is nearing 7k ft.

10945158_10101212377463036_1110599534_n.jpg

I'm a traditionalist and like keeping multiples of 3. I would try hard to cut down to an 18 hole course. Just going off the map it looks like you can combine 5-6, 11-12, or 18-19 and make that hole a par 4.

Or maybe make an out and back between two holes to get to a 21 hole layout

Last edited:
I'm a traditionalist and like keeping multiples of 3. I would try hard to cut down to an 18 hole course. Just going off the map it looks like you can combine 5-6, 11-12, or 18-19 and make that hole a par 4.

Or maybe make an out and back between two holes to get to a 21 hole layout

....or just start with #2, which is closer to the last basket, anyway.

....or just start with #2, which is closer to the last basket, anyway.

yes or that, unless first hole serves a purpose. I tend to like fairly open first holes just to pop and crack the ol bones on a throw. Last thing I want on an opening hole is a super technical hole that I have to hit a small line or work the disc. But that just me and my crappy game talking

Hmmm... I prefer I first hole that makes a statement about how the rest of the course is going to go. Otherwise... it is like lying. I wouldn't want a super open first hole.... and follow that up with the next 17 holes being wooded for example. We will see what parks says about the layout... one or two holes might be taken away by them. So, sometimes it is better to start out with 20 holes so that you can boil it down to 18 if you need to. As far as the walk between 1 and 18.... that is kind of the only way to hit all of the sweet spots on the map. Highlight holes will be 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 13, and 17. The big highlights are hole 3 and 8. Just a lot of elevation change on this map with a huge lodge in the way of connecting 1 closer to 18.

I love it. The walk from 18 to 1 isn't terrible when you consider the lodge and it's parking lot, so that's not a biggie to me. I'm REALLY looking forward to this one - looks like you and Drew are doing a great job.

We are working on it :) Let's see what parks says on Monday and then we will know the full story. There will be some minor tweaks here and there. I think 12 pad will move east on this map to throw more across the hill.

I'm glad I was in a position to purchase this place in my early/mid 30's. Clearing forested land is back breaking work. I've always stayed in pretty good shape and this work wears me out to the point that I barely have the energy to throw a few holes after we put in 4-6 hours of work. Lifting, dragging, pulling. I'm gonna be country boy strong by the end of the year. Lol.

Got more time working on #3 over the weekend. You can see the fairway starting to take shape.

Attachments

• IMAG0852.jpg
    IMAG0852.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMAG0856.jpg
    IMAG0856.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 38
You're right to be grateful to be starting in your 30s.

On the rare occasions when disc golfers come to our place to volunteer help, it's a bit of a dilemma. If we work before playing, our play really sucks. If we play before working, our course is pretty grueling, and at the end of the round no one wants to work. Myself included.

The trick, I think, is to have separate "work days" and "play days".

If we work before playing, our play really sucks. If we play before working, our course is pretty grueling, and at the end of the round no one wants to work. Myself included.

The trick, I think, is to have separate "work days" and "play days".
Yes, although it's depressing to work all day on the course and not play.

I'm starting work on another private course that has some amazon potential. I just walked the property for the first time this weekend in the snow, trying not to slip and fall. There's 100'+ of elevation drop from the barn by tee 28 to basket 2 by the creek and from barn to basket 21 has 50' elevation drop on a 500' hole there, and the top side of the creek goes up a steep ridge about 40' high to a semi plateau. There's some epic hole possibilities. :D