• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Executing The Dream

-26 degrees

pretty quite around here...
everyone must be working hard on their courses...
or hibernating...

Update on Mill Creek
~ 2' of snow right now so very little is getting done
~ -26 degrees the other morning
~ chainsaws do not work very well in extreme cold

It's been almost 17 months now since we moved. After 100's of tweaks, I'm pretty sure we have the designs and layouts down to what we want. Not 100% finished but when are they ever?

Red and White Tee layouts (27 Holes)
228210_g.jpg

Blue Tee layout (24 Holes)
228211_g.jpg

BTW, I did end up listing her today!
Mill Creek Disc Golf Course
Still a lot of work to be done but 18 holes are playable

Supposed to be in the upper 20's this weekend. Wish me luck in getting some course work in without frostbite :p

What a tease. Wait until there are more feet of snow than degrees of warmth, then publish an incredible slideshow of summer and fall photos on the course page!

What a tease. Wait until there are more feet of snow than degrees of warmth, then publish an incredible slideshow of summer and fall photos on the course page!

I'm with ya, David. As if I am not dyin' to get out and play real disc golf, Donny comes along with this. Man, it looks great! Have to get up there this summer. Keep us posted on how things are going.

-29 degrees this morning

Thanks guys! The support means a lot!

Congrats!!!! Hole 18 is beautiful! Curious if that creek floods and how wet that hole stays.

Like most waterways, it does flood. Not super bad by me but it can affect the course for a week.

For example:

Here is the creek most of the time
200788_g.jpg

222822_g.jpg

Here is the creek after 4' of snow-melt
221079_g.jpg

221077_g.jpg

221078_g.jpg

This mess crested at 3 days and it took about 10 days to recede to normal levels. 2-4 holes are unplayable. I just have to move the baskets to safety when it looks like it is gonna flood.

It doesn't get this bad all the time. It has only flooded 3 times and the other two times it came after record rainfalls. They were only over the banks a day or two and was back to normal in a week. It can be dangerous and I'm shocked to see people in canoes float by during the flooding. There are a ton of trees down across the creek about a half mile down-stream. They be crazy!

Another thing that sucks is all the debris that floats down-river. You'll find all kinds of junk.

That stinks Donny. At least it will only happen once in a while. Dg is pretty much dead down here right now. Some random fb'er summed it up perfectly, "no wonder the north won the war, it only took 2 inches of snow to shut down the south".

It's getting real. Brother in law and I are shopping for baskets at the moment. We discussed things with our finance committee (our wives) and they are on board for just buying 18 right off the bat instead of 9 at a time. $350/each would be the hard cap on price and ideally we'd like to be as much lower than that as possible. Sorry in advance for the big pics.

Looking at the Mach 2 which can be had for $240/ea. shipped. The 2-piece pole and 18 chains concern me, but it would be the cheapest way to get 18 quickly while still purchasing true permanent baskets.

We've also been looking at some that aren't made by the "big guys".
Monkey Traps by Disc Golf Monkey($350/ea. + shipping. Includes powder-coating with colors of my choice, electro plating, or galvanizing.) These look sweet, but I'm afraid they'll be outside of our budget once we add in shipping or pickup in Missouri.
057C1FB0-0DA0-479B-B1BB-A48A9B443990-2382-000001714311A6D1.jpg

The Great White by Predator Disc Sports.($300/ea. + shipping or I can pick them up because I believe he's located just across the river in Indiana. Not sure about powder coating, etc.)
11115_359121067627910_7223380336808726291_n.jpg

We've been buried by about a foot of snow for the last 3 weeks and things have finally melted. Soggy, soggy, soggy everywhere but at least my ponds are back up to capacity. My driveway wasn't even drive-able until this past Monday night, we've been leaving our car(s) at the road and taking the "gator" back and forth for almost a month now.(quite a challenge with a 15mo. old) First real snow fall was a learning experience for sure.

The snow did provide a nice contrast for walking through the woods and seeing the contours much better.

I found some great spots in between the campground area and the big powerlines. Elevation potential everywhere. I'll post up some more pics shortly.

Attachments

• IMAG0952.jpg
    IMAG0952.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMAG0901.jpg
    IMAG0901.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 32
  • IMAG0877.jpg
    IMAG0877.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 33
I played with one of the guys who make the predators at the Lincoln ridge ice bowl. He's a great guy and the baskets look pretty nice.

I played with one of the guys who make the predators at the Lincoln ridge ice bowl. He's a great guy and the baskets look pretty nice.

The pics do look good. I sent them a message requesting more info. So far it looks like a good compromise in regards to price. Plus I like the idea of supporting a local business.

Mach 2 just seems too "cheap" in regards to the build quality.

Yea mach 2's are better for temp/practice baskets. Though being a private course the durability might not be as big an issue, since you wont be getting the chucker crowd.

You could always build your own if you have the means. Waaaaaay cheaper.

That's my wife standing in front of one of our buckets after her first ace.(sorry about the huge picture)

Those Great White baskets look great!

Also... check into Prodigy... they really aren't far off that mark. Our quoted price was about $6300 for 19 baskets.

RE: Baskets

Hey, Mach II's are still good. They're virtually the same as the Mach V / Chainstar (minus the extra 6 strands of chain) in strength and durability. Can't go wrong with $240 shipped. They are not super heavy and they come with the portable base which will come in handy while you're building the course and trying to tweak things as you go along. You can still make them into a permanent basket down the road.

Its been about 3 yrs since I needed quotes for 9-18 baskets at once, but IIRC it was about $299 (before taxes and shipping) per Chainstar and Discatcher on the last quotes. The Chainstar and Innova Pro 28 baskets are around $325 now, maybe higher. You must buy the 9-18 on a single order to get the discounted price.

RE: The Gator
How old and how's it treating you? We used to have them a long time ago but always had problems. Same thing with two of the parks where I put courses in. Mostly trans issues. Hope your's holds up. I thought you had a tractor. I picked up a nice 6' blade this winter for about $250 new. Great investment with many uses.

RE: Hidden Ridge
Looking sweet man! Now's the time to walk and mark your lines in the woods. Don't forget to look up and mark the dangerous and/or dead trees if you can't cut them until later on. Leaves hide more than just discs.

I used "gator" because it's easier than typing "side by side" and everyone knows what I'm talking about. Luckily for me, my brother in law bought it and leaves it on the property, I just have to store it. It's a Polaris Ranger 400 w/winch and 500lb. dump bed. Only has about 22 hours on it but so far it's been great. A lot more useful than I thought.

You could always build your own if you have the means. Waaaaaay cheaper.

That's my wife standing in front of one of our buckets after her first ace.(sorry about the huge picture)

:thmbup:
I built 8 homemades. First one took a while to figure out how to do it without it looking too ghetto. The other 7 was cake once I had all the material. I even figured out a fast way to measure and cut chain. They've held up great the past 4 years with zero rust.

Lucky dog Tfire. Hot wife that plays disc golf too! My old lady has only played once in our 10 yrs of marriage, and that was last year in Hawaii for our anniversary. I guess I more or less dragged her out there :D She liked it but shes not really and outdoor person.

I used "gator" because it's easier than typing "side by side" and everyone knows what I'm talking about. Luckily for me, my brother in law bought it and leaves it on the property, I just have to store it. It's a Polaris Ranger 400 w/winch and 500lb. dump bed. Only has about 22 hours on it but so far it's been great. A lot more useful than I thought.

LOL, I glad for you that it's not a Gator. Nice find on the bro-in-law too :D
Mine just breaks everything and is serving time atm.

Snowmelt is in full force up here and flooding is soon to come. I just moved a couple baskets last night for precautions.

Last edited:
Details of my course are in my sig...

Landscape of the area we love was perfect for disc golf an although we found many with more land, bigger features etc, the block we settled on worked best for us. 37 acres, little room for cattle etc, the house...and the first pdga approved 18 basket course on the east coast of mainland Australia, 4th course overall.