• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fairway Driver Understable

Always been a fan of the Discraft Xpress. It is easy to control, you can throw it on a hyzer, straight, or easily anhyzer the disc. Pretty good as a roller too.

My fairway setup

Rhbh

Beat in 175 se Leo - flip every time
8/10 pro line Leo - big flex
9/10 2ns run ce Leo - long straight
Ce eagle x 9/10 - straight finish hard left

I'm naysaying the leopard; I carry several leopard in my main bag and when I go with my 6 disc bag, I carry two. With that said, I like a really well broken in dx banshee as a straight fairway. It definitely needs to log some miles first, but there's a lot to be said for the versatility of a few dx banshees in various stages of use.

how is a EX or River understable at -.5, 3? at least when not beat? i carry a few EX's and even my beat Dx is still pretty stable. It'll hold an anyhzer pretty well but always comes back, nothing like the couple leos I have

I'm using a 150g champ Leopard and a Lat 64 Diamond for understable fairway duty. Both are easy distance. The Diamond is longer and has more glide. It's also harder to control, it can flip bad if overpowered. For me, it needs a hyzer release at about 70% power. The Leopard can take more torque and remain neutral. I prefer the Leopard unless I really need extra distance.

"If i threw a disc 400...it would be down hill...tail wind...luck....and a goose prolly got ahold of my disc...."

Funny! And you are not alone.

There is a sweet spot with light ware on a pro Leopard I have a hard time finding in other discs where it will turn over and level out making the turn gradual and I love that, but beat it a little more and it will turn to the ground pretty hard. That is when you got your self a hyzer-flip disc. Fresh, a pro Leo to me is about as neutral as it gets.

how is a EX or River understable at -.5, 3? at least when not beat? i carry a few EX's and even my beat Dx is still pretty stable. It'll hold an anyhzer pretty well but always comes back, nothing like the couple leos I have

I was surprised about the dx eagle x, as I figured it would be stable since most of my Champ 11x Eagle Xs mimic firebirds when new, but just like a DX Leopard is super flippy imo compared to a Champ Leo, the dx eagle xs I have turn and glide when thrown flat, since it has a notch I like it even when windy just adjusting release angle for turnovers, my fairway lineup:

Champ 11x Eagle X
Champ 11x Eagle L
DX Eagle X

It seems that I jump on these threads after 25 people have already said what I would say:

Leopard. My champ Leopard is the epitome of understable. I can release it on a hyzer line directly at a tree and have it straighten out and go right of the expected path for a perfectly straight shot. If I release it flat it turns right and has very little fade at the end.

As for straight fairway drivers? Either an Avenger SS or a TL. It really depends on how much undergrowth I'm looking at losing the disc in, since my TLs are white and yellow, and my Avenger is hot pink.

I'm using a mid-weight DX Teebird for this shot. Started out neutral to slightly understable and now has a consistent right fade for me. That disc has insane glide as well.

I've also used rivers and loved them. The only reason they came out of the bag was because I was trying to reduce my mold count. Didn't like the one leopard I owned but I don't think I ever really gave it a chance. My X-XL also worked pretty good for this shot for a while.

CE Leopard

CE Leopards are the best fairway drivers ever. Throw one and you'll understand...

Latest posts