• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fast discs for beginners

elkevo

Par Member
Is there any value in bagging high speed drivers (speed 10+) for a beginner? I've been thinking maybe for skip shots, forehands, or just the overstate meathook. If it is worth it, any suggestions?

The problem with faster drivers is that they tolerate a lot of form flaws that can become ingrained into someone's form, causing a lot of extra time being needed to break those habits.

That's what I thought. I keep seeing guys on the course who are throwing similar distance as I am and they are throwing Destroyers, Terns, and Colossus (Colossi?). It has me wondering if they know something I don't.

I don't think that carrying a fast OS disc will ruin your form if you use it for specific shots like big skips, spike hysers, forehand rollers or thumbers. I often carry a 155g McBeth *Destroyer for skip shots (or a flat Firebird). Both work well. They are not my go-to discs for normal drives.

Work on your form in the field with neutral discs. On the course, use whatever you need to execute and win.

Is there any value in bagging high speed drivers (speed 10+) for a beginner? I've been thinking maybe for skip shots, forehands, or just the overstate meathook. If it is worth it, any suggestions?

No. Anything faster then a speed 10 is not going to provide much of a difference. Something like a firebird is plenty and if your looking for a tad more distance then a thunderbird could be what your looking for or less weighted disc.

The firebird and thunderbird are used just as they are known and popular. Use what you will.

1st question: No.
2nd question: What distance are you throwing? 'Cause I throw Terns at Hiller, and I'd like to know if you're kicking my ass with a Roc. :\

1st question: No.
2nd question: What distance are you throwing? 'Cause I throw Terns at Hiller, and I'd like to know if you're kicking my ass with a Roc. :\
Only throwing between 275 and 300 with a TL and Leopard3. Not crushing anything, that's for sure.

Nice to see a "local" here!

I wouldn't pay any attention to disc speeds. Find an open field and throw as many different discs you can get your hands on. With time and practice the right discs will find their way into your bag.

I think if you're throwing leopards and Teebirds to 300ft with some consistency you're ready for more. Slightly lighter wraith... do it!

You're preferred throwing style is a huge factor in what you'll be able to consistently bomb down the fairway. Me personally...I throw nothing but RHFH from the pad, so i always look understable. Something with a good bit of turn but about equal fade. It gives you that nice flex for max distance. My first good distance drivers (ALWAYS 1 or 2 in my bag atleast) were my 172g Star Katana and my 171g Champ Vulcan and can get them both out about 360 on a good flick maybe an extra 5 or 10 from my Vulcan. I recently picked up a 174g Champ Daedalus but found it a tad bit flippy. But i could see it being my main driver if i was still a beginner lol.

I think if you're throwing leopards and Teebirds to 300ft with some consistency you're ready for more. Slightly lighter wraith... do it!

I busted out a Blizzard Wraith yesterday for about 350' (measured with Udisc app). It was also slightly downhill :\

Last edited:
As others have mentioned, I would add one overstable driver or fairway driver, such as a Thunderbird or Wraith. A faster disc will help in the wind. It gets out there faster, and has less time to get bounced around in the wind. Plus you can learn flex shots with these.

I would also add an understable disc like a Sidewinder or Roadrunner. These are great utility discs for throwing anhyzers, hyzer flip shots, rollers, etc. These types of shots are a little harder with straight discs like TL's and Leopards.

There are some great discs in the 9 to 10 speed that you will be able to throw just fine. Experiment and have fun!

In another thread, I'm looking for an OS utility driver and Banshees and Firebirds are winning out. Should I really be looking at a Wraith or Orc?

In another thread, I'm looking for an OS utility driver and Banshees and Firebirds are winning out. Should I really be looking at a Wraith or Orc?

Not for truly OS molds. Banshee/fb has much more fade even when beat up which make them great control/utility style molds. Orc/wraith make good stable/slightly OS when new go-to distance drivers.

I could easily bag a pair of or even 3 of those molds.

Ex:
Dx banshee
Champ fb
Pro/star wraith

Last edited:

Firebird is THE utility driver. It's so useful...