• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fast driver with least fade?

caveman62

I have been playing only a couple of years. But great sport to get old guys (58) like me out for a walk!

I know I should work on my game, but, ya know, I don't really want to "work" at it. I want to enjoy! Although playing better makes it more fun, I know.

Anyway, it seems like no matter how I throw a driver, trying to stay level or hyzer or anhyzer, it ALWAYS fades left at the end (right hand back handed throw). Looking at discs and the numbers, it looks like the last number (fade) should be how much the disc does that. So my putters are zeros, and I have some drivers that are pretty low (down to .5) but then the speed (first number) isn't as high as some of the high speed drivers. So my question is: Is it not possible to make a high speed driver with a low fade? The higher the speed rating the less possible it is to mold it to have a low fade number?

Thanks.

I have been playing only a couple of years. But great sport to get old guys (58) like me out for a walk!

I know I should work on my game, but, ya know, I don't really want to "work" at it. I want to enjoy! Although playing better makes it more fun, I know.

Anyway, it seems like no matter how I throw a driver, trying to stay level or hyzer or anhyzer, it ALWAYS fades left at the end (right hand back handed throw). Looking at discs and the numbers, it looks like the last number (fade) should be how much the disc does that. So my putters are zeros, and I have some drivers that are pretty low (down to .5) but then the speed (first number) isn't as high as some of the high speed drivers. So my question is: Is it not possible to make a high speed driver with a low fade? The higher the speed rating the less possible it is to mold it to have a low fade number?

Thanks.

Good post. The fade number is relative. "0" means the least amount of fade, not zero fade at all. However, if you have beat up a disc with use over time, it might make it to zero fade.

To your point, it might be good to use a disc with a little more turn, which will help you get a line. Throwing lower to the ground can prevent too much fade at the end.

Specific discs, try a Dynamic Discs Sheriff, Infinite Discs Pharoah, Dynamic Discs Captain, Innova Shryke. Get lighter weights, maybe around 160g.

But, those faster speed discs will still need significant speed out of your hand to see straighter flights. If you're throwing 400 feet, and want straighter flights, these are a good place to start.

If your throws are under 350', you might try the Innova Sidewinder, Prodigy F model US, Discraft Thrasher

Thanks Seedlings! Wife got me a Thrasher for Christmas but it's been cold here in the mid-Atlantic. Did take it out yesterday (made it all the way to 50 degrees! Woo hoo!) and it seemed pretty good. Supposed to hit 60 tomorrow so I'll give it more of a test.

But, to your statement about how far I throw, yeah, it's embarrassing. So, I don't want faster speeds to make up for lack of arm speed? Lower speed drivers will fly straighter and, maybe, farther with a lower arm speed? I do get jealous watching the drives of 20 somethings at one of my favorite courses! A long, open, downhill shot that I get maybe 2/3 of the way there then watch the younger stronger guys park it! MAN!

Thanks Seedlings! Wife got me a Thrasher for Christmas but it's been cold here in the mid-Atlantic. Did take it out yesterday (made it all the way to 50 degrees! Woo hoo!) and it seemed pretty good. Supposed to hit 60 tomorrow so I'll give it more of a test.

But, to your statement about how far I throw, yeah, it's embarrassing. So, I don't want faster speeds to make up for lack of arm speed? Lower speed drivers will fly straighter and, maybe, farther with a lower arm speed? I do get jealous watching the drives of 20 somethings at one of my favorite courses! A long, open, downhill shot that I get maybe 2/3 of the way there then watch the younger stronger guys park it! MAN!

Nah, faster speed discs only fly like their flight numbers when thrown hard. If you want nice, easy, relaxed play, grab an Innova Leopard, Discraft Archer or even an Innova Roadrunner. Try very light weights, like 150-160g. Light weights will let you throw harder with the same effort.

Never a bad time to improve form though!

How fast is fast?

I'm nearly 55, been playing for 18 months. I find the light Wraiths a lot straighter than 3 fade. Blizzard or Starlite plastic I can get out to 330' (as far as I go). They turn a little and fade a touch.

Westside Stag I found to be a straight disc too.

Jade (9,6,2,1) in a lighter weight, say mid 160s, is a great disc for someone with not much experience and/or arm speed. I use mine all the time. If you can throw it close to 300, it's pretty much dead straight after it turns and fades back.

But, to your statement about how far I throw, yeah, it's embarrassing. So, I don't want faster speeds to make up for lack of arm speed?

In all likelihood not.

Lower speed drivers will fly straighter and, maybe, farther with a lower arm speed?

quite often yes

I do get jealous watching the drives of 20 somethings at one of my favorite courses! A long, open, downhill shot that I get maybe 2/3 of the way there then watch the younger stronger guys park it! MAN!

Youth is wasted on the young... :)

If you can make it out to Raptor's Roost (I see you are in Orange) when I am there (most weekends, at least a couple other days a week) I can let you try out some stuff from the pro shop and also take a look at your form and see if there is anything glaringly wrong. No problem for me to block out a little time with a little advance notice.

But, to your statement about how far I throw, yeah, it's embarrassing.

Don't be embarrassed. If you give us an idea of how far you throw, you'll get better recommendations on what might work best for you. :thmbup:

Probably 300 max. I actually got SOOOOO lucky once! If anybody is in Central VA, Rockwater park in Culpeper, VA, # 8 is a downhill 313 footer. I aced it!!! This was last summer. So probably a full, level throw downhill and playing my fade to the left. So probably 40 feet drop and, with playing the fade to hit the chains, 350?

It was a Lattitude Sapphire S10, G6, T-2, F1.5. And like an idiot I kept using it and lost it at Raptor's Roost in Gordonsville VA. Anyway, I got a ton more with the same specs. But that one I used to get the ace was my favorite and, reading some comments, maybe because it was a bit nicked up so didn't fade as much.

Probably 300 max. I actually got SOOOOO lucky once! If anybody is in Central VA, Rockwater park in Culpeper, VA, # 8 is a downhill 313 footer. I aced it!!! This was last summer. So probably a full, level throw downhill and playing my fade to the left. So probably 40 feet drop and, with playing the fade to hit the chains, 350?

It was a Lattitude Sapphire S10, G6, T-2, F1.5. And like an idiot I kept using it and lost it at Raptor's Roost in Gordonsville VA. Anyway, I got a ton more with the same specs. But that one I used to get the ace was my favorite and, reading some comments, maybe because it was a bit nicked up so didn't fade as much.

Grab another Sapphire and start breaking it in. You might like a DX Beast.

Thanks.

My initial response to the question is: "the high speed driver that fades least is the lowest speed driver." In other words, a speed 10 driver (in general) will fade less than a speed 13, and speed 8 probably less. This is especially true if they have the same "fade rating," which attempts to compare discs within their speed class. But, in general, a higher speed driver will have more fade even if they have the same fade rating as a slower driver.

That is one reason many people on DGCR recommend starting with slower speed discs. But I can totally get your desire to enjoy the game without working too hard. Fortunately, even just enjoying the game can lead to improvements, especially if you pick up some basics on form and disc behavior along the way.

As far as low fade discs, nothing beats putters and some mids. For drivers, lower speed drivers with a negative turn rating will also tend to have lower fade. There are a couple slow-arm-friendly higher speed drivers out there (Tern, Thrasher, Mamba come to mind), but it remains true that higher speeds will fade more.

^^^
What armiller said.

You may not be open to this line of thinking, but at 64 myself, the wisest question I've been asked is:

"What's the slowest speed disc that will go the necessary distance?"

This one question has helped me avoid countless trees and recovery shots.

Probably 300 max.

This more than likely means you're throwing 250-275 off the tee. At our age it's not about max distance, it's definitely more about consistency. I know a few old dudes that can't throw past 275 but have decent ratings because they can also throw bullseye 200-250ft approach shots and can putt well.

I would seriously suggest bagging a 160-165 Leopard in Gstar or DX plastic. This should give you a fairly reliable 250+ distance with minimal fade at the end of it's flight. It might even go much further once you dial it in. For sure keep the focus on those slower speed discs.

Thank you everybody for your thoughts and suggestions. And, yeah, I need to appreciate accuracy and not JUST distance. The places I play the most are pretty open so more distance to get a closer approach is what I look for. But there are some courses not too far from me that have a lot more through the woods holes where you have to thread your tee shot through a lot of trees (Walnut Creek, Pleasant Grove, Meadowcreek Gardens) to get it down the fairway and on those courses, which I don't play nearly as often as the more open courses around me (Orange County, Rockwater Park, Raptor's Roost) I have accepted the fact that a putter thrown 200 feet down the "tunnel" is better than a driver hitting a tree 50 feet from the tee. So even on the more open courses I can see the advantage of a slower but more accurate lower fade driver.

THANKS!

Might try a Hatchet.

Other discs I like:

Pro Katana. High speed understable. I get max distance (for my arm speed) with this disc. It will S curve and give me 300-350 feet.
Pro Beast is similar to the Katana. Both usually fade left at the end, but that's after turning right, so fairly straight finish.

The Escape is a slightly faster disc, but similar to a lot of popular mids that fly straight if thrown properly with minimal fade.

I picked up some light, ~150g, DX Wraiths and 170g DX Valyries. The Wraiths seem to want to turn over too much if there is any wind factor. I like the Valks, but only using for field work now, not in the bag yet. Not sure the DX will hold up as one of the discs has a small slit (1/4") in the dome already.

The Hatchet (176g) is in my bag because it will fly ~300ish with a little hyzer out of the hand, turn over and then fade to straight at the end of the S curve.

Valkyrie in Glow Champion as those come out about the same and like the old 2000's Champion version or Star Provided not low to flat top or Pop top.

Speed 9 but then an Innova sponsored European did hold the Distance record with the disc mold in mid 2000's after faster discs came out like the Wraith and Destroyer.

My first really straight driver was a Timberwolf. Still use it for woods. Comes in great plastic that does not change. Or go for a DX Teebird or Teebird3 for a disc that will (quite quickly) bite and stay on a straight line before fading. All these discs have narrow rims and are easy to throw. As your timing/speed develops, get a Star Teebird3.

some fun high speed drivers to throw that are easy..meaning they have no fade....dx katana..r pro boss...dx wraith....if these fade ..then stick to speed 9 or below..dx archangel is easy d....as you get stronger..theyre all rollers..downwind bombers...i threw a dx wraith 600 ft...but all right..