• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Favorite Hole of All Time (G rated) Dont go there.

57d3bd16.jpg

1d4201a2.jpg

#18 at Charlie Vettiner, the U-turn hole. 650 ft par 5 with a mando at the end of the trees and the basket nearly directly beside the tee on the other side of the U-turn. Probably the most unique hole I've ever played. I throw a backhand distance drive to try to get an angle around the mando. Then I usually throw a forehand around the mando, and another forehand around another smaller set of trees near the basket. Going for the birdie putt, depending on where I land.

#18 at Charlie Vettiner, the U-turn hole. 650 ft par 5 with a mando at the end of the trees and the basket nearly directly beside the tee on the other side of the U-turn. Probably the most unique hole I've ever played. I throw a backhand distance drive to try to get an angle around the mando. Then I usually throw a forehand around the mando, and another forehand around another smaller set of trees near the basket. Going for the birdie putt, depending on where I land.

That is one of the most unique holes I have ever played - never seen anything like it.

My only complaint is that the branches hung way too low on the approach to the basket. It did not give a fair approach to the basket since you had to rifle in a low shot and it was all about the lucky/unlucky skip or roll that determined if you had a putt. I played there 4 years ago so that might not still be the case.

This is a hard/impossible task since I look at courses as a whole and how individual great holes fit in with the rest of the experience. Whatever.....I am going with Kilborne Hole 15.

As a lefty (LHBH), it is the ultimate shot shaping challenge:
Throw over a rise - must just skim over the top of it
Trees early to knock down shots that are wide
Trees late to knock down
Slopes downward to the right with thick underbrush - LHBH fade (or kick), beware!
Must throw fairway driver to get curve, distance and less slow speed fade
Must throw almost full power to get the D needed (315' with about 5- elevation).

A routine-ish birdie for my RHBH friends....so the pressure is always on. Exhilaration with a deuce, disappointment with a par, devastation with a bogey or worse.

First basket in this Be-The-Disc! video is the location I am talking about.

f2b7b840.jpg

I cannot think of a hole I get so geeked up with anticipation for when playing a round.
Great choice! Especially coming from #14, a true lefty hyzer hole to throw a more stable fairway driver.

Hole 8 Iowa park.

This will be a two part post as my phone only allows one pic upload :/. But I know the hole doesn't look like much but there is a certain evilness to it. It's 222 feet with a 35-40 foot circular "island" you must land on or take a penalty stroke. First I am partial because I helped designed it. It actually plays harder then it really is. Part is the mental aspect of knowing you have to land it or take a stroke. I've played a few mini's with several people and have seen several 1 for 10's. everyone throwing two disc. Second it plays west to east. And in that location of north Texas the daily wind battle always seems north or south so it changes daily. Second there is a dam just about 100 feet away that seems to make the air swirl in the area. Again. Just enough to get in your head. The course is still new and the grass and vegetation is just growing in. But when the green comes out with contrast of sand and wood it makes for a great looking hole.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 36
That is one of the most unique holes I have ever played - never seen anything like it.

My only complaint is that the branches hung way too low on the approach to the basket. It did not give a fair approach to the basket since you had to rifle in a low shot and it was all about the lucky/unlucky skip or roll that determined if you had a putt. I played there 4 years ago so that might not still be the case.

Well I don't know about 4 years ago, since I've only been playing for 2 years, but I didn't see any low branches near the basket when I went. I actually had to play a high forehand to get it around the last corner, and I didn't get knocked down or anything.

57d3bd16.jpg

1d4201a2.jpg

I love Vettiner & 18 is the best hole there. I think that Solitude might have a few better holes though. http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=93

Right now mine would probably be #8 at Mason Sports Park. The pads are now concrete, and the trees in the distance are pretty dense and in the perfect place to send you into the creek if you're not accurate with your drive.

4bc8ff68.jpg

I've played that course, and this surely is a great hole.

I think you'd have a tough time arguing anything over 3 at Flyboy.

The only people who would, haven't played it.

I agree with both those choices, and for good measure Stoney Hill #18.

prob the most epic green I have ever seen. and a great finishing hole.

Basket on 18:
8207958179_f43b00dc43_c.jpg

You could make a lot of arguments for Stoney Hill holes.

8207959349_c979efeed9_c.jpg

Some of your favorite DGCR personalities making memories at Stoney Hill:

That's an awesome picture of #16 (pond)....I'll probably end up stealing it.

Also a collector's item, since the tree is gone now.

My favorite out of 121 courses is still Idlewild #11:
This is the one hole I wanted to play...then played it. Blah poke and hope hole with a creek zig zagging randomly through the hole. The Y tree is intersting, but it will die, then the hole will be an unfair hole with no Y tree.

That's an awesome picture of #16 (pond)....I'll probably end up stealing it.

Also a collector's item, since the tree is gone now.

The dead tree in the landing zone is gone? :eek:

That's too bad, it was so visually cool to have it there.

The dead tree in the landing zone is gone? :eek:

That's too bad, it was so visually cool to have it there.

Something of an oops. It was dropping huge branches and we were concerned they'd hit someone. More concerned that the entire tree would fall, in the pond where removal would be very difficult, or on the power lines.

So we cut it down, in the laborious process discovering that the core was solid as an oak---well, it was solid oak---and could have stood a long long time.

We we've planted cypress trees, next to the stump and strategically along the shore. In 20 or 30 years it should be awesome again.

My favorite out of 121 courses is still Idlewild #11:
This is the one hole I wanted to play...then played it. Blah poke and hope hole with a creek zig zagging randomly through the hole. The Y tree is intersting, but it will die, then the hole will be an unfair hole with no Y tree.

That's funny you say that as that was exactly my reaction to 11. The design has no realistic risk/reward factor as you would never in your right mind go for the green off the tee. The approach to the landing zone is pretty easy (at least for me a LHBH), but the punishment is totally random/disproportionate if you screw up (narrow winding creek you might or might not fall into). Visually very cool and interesting though!

On the Y tree, I had a hard time seeing how a great drive would give you an easy (low risk) approach to the astroturf island. A great drive IMO should give you a low risk 2nd shot, but instead it seems to me a great drive gives a medium risk approach and a mediocre drive increases that risk only incrementally. Again, I do not get the risk/reward thinking of that hole design. That said, I am not firm in my assessment as I am a LHBH player and would need to see bunch of RHBH level players play that hole be confirm (or hopefully change) my thoughts.

I do not understand how removing the Y tree would make things unfair.

....anyway, back to the subject, Favorite Holes, this year's incarnation of the Gran Canyon had a hole along the back of the property that, by the time you holed out, so much had happened that you could hardly remember teeing off. I love that feeling.

Latest posts