• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Favorite Courses Rated 2.5 or Lower?

Mike C

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
What are your favorite courses with a low rating? Courses scored 2.5 or lower?

Mine is Wildwood Park in Louisville, Ohio.

Wildwood was the second course I played, and my first wooded course. My home course, Arboretum, was basically all open shots, so I found Wildwood challenging at first. There aren't any open shots here, and many of them are heavily wooded.

Now, Wildwood isn't what you'd call a destination course. If you google earth it, you'll see the course is TINY, one of the smaller courses I've played. It has natural tees that sometimes aren't in the best shape. The signage isn't the greatest. One of the long tees had a tree fall on it and its out of commission. The course does feature a hanging basket..or did. Last time I went there it was so bent out of shape that it touched the ground.

So why do I like Wildwood, nostalgia aside?

I think in terms of raw golf, it's a perfect example of what a short 9 hole course should be (Technically Wildwood is 10 holes now...).

There is superb variety here. Two sets of tees, with the longs often changing the hole completely rather than adding 25' of distance to the exact same line. Elevation changes manage to be in play on every hole save for 3, despite the park being pretty flat overall. You've got uphill and downhill shots, fairways sloping left or right. Roll-aways will be a concern at times.

The course teaches good line-shaping and woods management. Its the perfect course to build your fundamentals.

There are numerous holes with multiple lines to the basket. #2 is one of my favorites. It's a long, straight tunnel shot. You can throw the gap, or you can flick to the left of it, or throw a roller to the right of it, or throw an overhand over it. This holds true for so many holes here, you will often see 2 or 3 lines that have similar margins for error.

Once you've played the course once you'll know it by heart. After that, knocking out a round in 15-20 minutes is effortless.

Of all the courses I miss up north in Ohio and PA, Wildwood is up there right behind the destination 18 hole courses. Its really fun watching old videos I filmed here and thinking about what I could do differently now. Never tried flicking #9 long, and I know that'd be a perfect shot for that hole.

It's funny, back when I was in my first year of playing me and my friend played a pick up round with these two old school guys. I was backhanding Rocs and Wizards off every tee, and they were throwing all sorts of creative shots. Rollers and flicks on holes I'd never think to use them. Now I'm gonna go back and do the same thing!

Here's one of the last rounds I filmed there, testing out MVP Anodes when they came out:

Last edited:
Primland-Meadows of Dan,Va

Miami University in Oxford, Ohio is currently rated 2.25. It was a fairly unique 18 hole course, but was 'extincted' and relisted when construction turned it into a nine holer. There are some epic holes at present (4 & 8 in particular), but the continuing construction and changes have squeezed the course more and more over the past few years. There is a redesign in the works ("There will be courses and rumors of courses...") which will likely make this listing extinct and relisted once again, and you'll see the ratings swing back above the threshold for this thread whenever that occurs. They have some fantastic land for a good course there.

Oyster shell park Norwalk CT. Rated 1.75!!!

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/mobile/course.php?id=6663

Small nine hole course along the I95 and Long Island sound.

The whole park itself is built on top of a landfill. Right now it's turned into a pretty park where the nearby luxury waterfront condo people use to walk/jog. With pretty views of the water.

It can get over grown and full of tall weeds/reeds/brush. There are rabbits, huge gophers, snakes, when it's grown in. Some parts of the hill you can see the netting that holds down the landfill contents. You'll see random containers like old 1980's ovaltine jars sticking out. You can easily lose discs in the tall grass/reeds. There are ticks galore.

It even has a water carry holes over a pond (when it has water in it) that is literally filled with land fill contents that seep up into it!

Lastly it has zero trees or cover (actually one tree), and being next to a sound/water there is often strong gusty winds that can push your discs into the interstate, tall grass/reeds/brush, or into the Long Island sound inlet.

But the city did a great job of making the former landfill/dump into a great park. Original wetland wildlife has re inhabited the area. There are great walking/bike paths that go through it.

The holes themselves have Mach V baskets and small legit rubber tee pads. It's a great place to practice windy open field work.

I personally loved the park because many of the greens/baskets are illuminated by park lamp posts. I lived a 2min drive away so I could practice putt/upshot to my hearts content even at night. I didn't need a practice basket I lived so close.

We even had leagues there at one point. Two rounds of 9 holes (two holes had long/short tees).

Ferguson Park in Snohomish, WA. It's just a tiny little 9 hole course at 1492', perfect for beginners and families, but it's well done, great baskets and pads, in a lovely little wooded park, and it's a wonderful little course for chasing ACES. With a lofty rating of 1.80, it's nobody's idea of a destination course and it's just far enough off I-5 that no one' going to make it a casual stop but I could play it everyday. I'm actually too embarrassed to put it in my favorites.

Oyster shell park Norwalk CT. Rated 1.75!!!

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/mobile/course.php?id=6663

The holes themselves have Mach V baskets and small legit rubber tee pads. It's a great place to practice windy open field work.

I personally loved the park because many of the greens/baskets are illuminated by park lamp posts. I lived a 2min drive away so I could practice putt/upshot to my hearts content even at night. I didn't need a practice basket I lived so close.

That sounds really convenient. Living super close to a course is great. I'm within walking distance of one myself, and there are lots of times where I go out there for some night putting.

Primland-Meadows of Dan,Va

This one is on my list. I love that part of the country, it's gorgeous.

BTW still trying to film Sugaree sometime soon. Every time I think its going to work out, it ends up raining...

Last edited:
Coleman Park Sulfur Springs, TX

Rating 2.38
middle of nowhere, lots of wind, lots of water so the low rating is no surprise but i thought it was a fun course. poor routing and a long walk back to the parking lot after hole 18 puts a damper on the round though.

Runners-Up

Hill Country Bible Course Austin, TX

Rating 2.10
fun 9 holes on church property. low rating from infrequent maintenance, i believe. a great course to play if you live nearby

Eagle Ranch Fort Worth, TX

Rating 2.08
only 7 holes, never maintained, baskets sometimes damaged or missing. but the holes are great and hole 1 in particular is awesome.

i don't feel all that strongly about any of those courses but they are more fun than the rating would imply... IF you catch them in good conditions.

there are a lot of courses on my list in the 2.5-3.0 range that i think are really fun courses that are underrated.

Barber Park in Greensboro, NC (rated 2.39, currently only has 13-14 playable holes). So, it has zero amenities; no tee pads, no signage, no bag hangers, no benches, lots of walkers, etc. Some parts don't drain well at all and on wet days you often get a sewage smell permeating parts of the course. However, it's where I learned to play, it has a great mix of long air-it-out type holes and a bunch of tight wooded holes, and is never really crowded (even before the construction took out a few holes) and it's super-convenient to my work so I can get in some practice in the evenings. There are many better courses in the area and I play them but I like Barber a lot, even with it's faults. Hoping that after the construction is done in the park, the city will upgrade it significantly. I've heard that's the plan but who knows?

Sunny lake in Aurora, Ohio. I played it when basically just the longest layout was in and it was incredible. The reviews after say with all the layouts it is quite confusing. That might be true, but the longs there were incredible. Really enjoyed its brutalness. Currently a 2.25, but it only has 2 reviews

Wait for the gasps...

Ninigret Park, RI. Currently rated 2.33.

There seem to be a lot of people that really hate this course. Looks like the majority of that hate has to do with navigation and thickness of the brush and rough.

When I played, I had a local guide and it was early in the year so the foliage had not yet grown in. I can see how both would be issues. However, navigation is only an issue until you have played it couple times. And if the course isn't suited for mid season play, then play it in the off season.

We played from the longs and IMO it was both fun and challenging. Tight, controlled lines are needed on most shots. You had to have D on some holes. Nice touch flex shots. Rollers were handy in a couple spots. I felt it was balanced and had nice variety. Holes ranged from 200' finesse shots through a few 400', 600' and an 800' foot controlled bombs. It was actually one of the pleasant surprises on that road trip.

I am one who can truthfully say, I hated this course with every bone in my body.

Wait for the gasps...

Ninigret Park, RI. Currently rated 2.33.

There seem to be a lot of people that really hate this course. Looks like the majority of that hate has to do with navigation and thickness of the brush and rough.

When I played, I had a local guide and it was early in the year so the foliage had not yet grown in. I can see how both would be issues. However, navigation is only an issue until you have played it couple times. And if the course isn't suited for mid season play, then play it in the off season.

We played from the longs and IMO it was both fun and challenging. Tight, controlled lines are needed on most shots. You had to have D on some holes. Nice touch flex shots. Rollers were handy in a couple spots. I felt it was balanced and had nice variety. Holes ranged from 200' finesse shots through a few 400', 600' and an 800' foot controlled bombs. It was actually one of the pleasant surprises on that road trip.

Stony Creek Metropark - Buckhorn South

This used to be a 27(?) hole course, but recently got expanded to 2 18s. Hence the (only) 3 reviews. Two 3.5s and one .5 that I'm not sure the guy played the same course I did.

Definitely a fun, challenging spin. This won't stay at 2.5 very long...

Middletown park in Middletown MD. Currently rated 2.40.

It's an appropriate rating. The first ten holes are all open field, with the exception of 1, 7, and 8 which have minimal tree obstacles. The front is pretty boring really, but it's good practice.

Holes 11-18 however are pretty fun. Short but more wooded with some good risk reward choices on a few. 11, 12, 15, and 18 are all fun holes with navigable tree obstacles.

It's a small course, easy to play after work, good for practice, and still fun. Take a putter or two, a couple mids, and a pair of fairways and have a good time. The added bonus is it is very rarely crowded so you may play at your leisure. I usually have the course to myself which is nice.

Take a putter or two, a couple mids, and a pair of fairways and have a good time.

soooo... just take the whole bag, huh? who carries 6 discs?

off topic - anyone see that Central Coast DG video where the guy carries his discs around in a box and halfway through the round the bottom of the box falls out? :D

Driesner - Austin, MN

Interesting that it only has 3 reviews and one of them is mine :/ I suppose I should update my review some day.

It used to be 9 holes, even then it was a decent 9 holes.

I technically haven't played it since it has been upgraded to 18 holes - I did play the layout for an event that had temp baskets in basically the same figuration as the final layout design, and it is a pretty solid 18 holes for holding strong at 2.33 rated...