• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Favorite Courses Rated 2.5 or Lower?

You know what, I almost bought a cheetah yesterday. I did grab 2 fresh aviars for summer, and have fond memories of my old DX cheetah. It was blue with a rainbow stamp and I thought it was the coolest!

Cheetahs are legit. They fly especially good if you're naturally athletic.

Henry Horton in Chapel Hill, TN; about an hour south of Nashville. Currently rated 2.56

This course shares many characteristics with Brahan Spring in Huntsville, AL. It is flat and primarily weaves through a patch of loosely spaced trees.

Without reading any reviews, here's my guess for reasons the rating is so low:
- It has old baskets, and a couple have been battered by falling limbs over the years.
- A couple paths to the next hole intersect fairways/teepads. Nothing dangerous, but it can make navigation tricky for a first timer
- Only a few benches and a couple trash cans

My favorites things about the course are the way the fairways are cut into the grass with a little higher second cut to help define the holes, the mix of fun with some challenge sprinkled in, and the shade during those hot summer days.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=166

i've played Henry Horton a couple of times (usually after playing Columbia) and it's a great course especially for fieldwork practice.

Every hole you can try multiple shots (side arm, long putter, midrange, driver) because of their length and (250-390ft).

This year i finally have a decent sidearm and it was at Horton where i realized that it was finally game ready.

Those 250-300ft wider wooded fairways that needed a LHFH line finally was getting confidently because i didn't have to worry about losing a disc or careening into deep thick woods (like the wooded Nashville courses).

it's one of the first DG courses in the region (late 70's-early 80's) so naturally it's dated (especially some of the "dome topped" baskets 1st gen mach 1/3 baskets).

if ever, because it's rare, there's a lot of people playing then it can be a bit dangerous due to the close proximity fairways, but man those fairways with mature 50-70+ year old pine trees and lush greenery is so pretty.

DeBell DGC in Burbank, CA. The regular layout is pretty boring and only 9 holes (it's a par 3 ball golf course), so I understand the low rating. The other 3 courses in the city or vicinity of LA though, are all rock and dirt, so this is a nice place to do some work without wearing out your discs. My buddy and I run a weekly there and we do 20+ hole safaris, and there is plenty of elevation, ob, and trees to shape lines. It's just up the street from City Hall, so it's convenient for me to move around the pins and tee markers on my lunch break. Also can squeeze some longer holes in (by Los Angeles's standards) as the staff shuts the course down for us. Not worth a trek, but a pretty nice spot to have as your local course.

(If you're a tourist in LA and you're hitting up the studios, or if you're doing a pilgrimage to the World's First in Pasadena and you're flying into Burbank instead of LAX, swing by and look for my map in the shop window. New safari every month):

tumblr_opssfca3mf1v9kyzpo1_1280.gif

Stony Creek Metropark - Buckhorn South

This used to be a 27(?) hole course, but recently got expanded to 2 18s. Hence the (only) 3 reviews. Two 3.5s and one .5 that I'm not sure the guy played the same course I did.

Definitely a fun, challenging spin. This won't stay at 2.5 very long...

LMFAO at that review. That review doesn't even represent that course at all. Been there a couple times this year and my only complaint about it is that they seem to have put in a couple extra teepads and moved a couple baskets around 15, 16, 17. I threw my normal drive on 15 and then there was no basket down the slope like it originally was.

Barber Park in Greensboro, NC (rated 2.39, currently only has 13-14 playable holes). So, it has zero amenities; no tee pads, no signage, no bag hangers, no benches, lots of walkers, etc. Some parts don't drain well at all and on wet days you often get a sewage smell permeating parts of the course. However, it's where I learned to play, it has a great mix of long air-it-out type holes and a bunch of tight wooded holes, and is never really crowded (even before the construction took out a few holes) and it's super-convenient to my work so I can get in some practice in the evenings. There are many better courses in the area and I play them but I like Barber a lot, even with it's faults. Hoping that after the construction is done in the park, the city will upgrade it significantly. I've heard that's the plan but who knows?

Barber Park is also where I learned the game. :thmbup: Loved that park back in the day, probably not so much anymore.

Holmes Park, Greenville SC

Small neighborhood park, navigation is OK, good baskets and concrete tees. Not sure why the low reviews, the course has several fun throws but most holes are (by necessity) short. They require some challenging lines, there is lots of shade and hole 4 is pretty killer. Also makes for some fun safari set ups.

Great place to get in a lunch time round when you are near downtown and don't want to sweat walking up and down the hills at Timmons nearby. Also has a baseball field to get some driving practice in but you do need to careful of walkers and other park users.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1365

Here's Bennett splashing out an ace that hit dead center on #7 - "BAM!!"

Woodward Park in Camden, SC. I played there 20-30 times between 2005 and 2011 and never once saw another golfer. If this course got some tlc and hosted a a sanctioned tournament, there maybe more interest. The course is much easier to get to than Chester (another gem in SC) which also needs maintenance in the summer but not as much play.

Miami University in Oxford, Ohio is currently rated 2.25.
Wow! I played a safari round at Miami U in 1983 with frisbees on an object course without baskets. That was 15 years before I even saw my first DG basket; at that point I thought hitting a pole was cool (CSU in Fort Collins). I would LOVE to go back to Miami U again and play on a course with baskets!

Ferguson Park in Snohomish, WA. It's just a tiny little 9 hole course at 1492', perfect for beginners and families, but it's well done, great baskets and pads, in a lovely little wooded park, and it's a wonderful little course for chasing ACES. With a lofty rating of 1.80, it's nobody's idea of a destination course and it's just far enough off I-5 that no one' going to make it a casual stop but I could play it everyday. I'm actually too embarrassed to put it in my favorites.

Man, you must love throwing putters. I felt embarrassed that I carried my whole darn bag with me on that course...

Barber Park in Greensboro, NC (rated 2.39, currently only has 13-14 playable holes). So, it has zero amenities; no tee pads, no signage, no bag hangers, no benches, lots of walkers, etc. Some parts don't drain well at all and on wet days you often get a sewage smell permeating parts of the course. However, it's where I learned to play, it has a great mix of long air-it-out type holes and a bunch of tight wooded holes, and is never really crowded (even before the construction took out a few holes) and it's super-convenient to my work so I can get in some practice in the evenings. There are many better courses in the area and I play them but I like Barber a lot, even with it's faults. Hoping that after the construction is done in the park, the city will upgrade it significantly. I've heard that's the plan but who knows?

Yeah Barber is arguably mine too. The ability to air it out really gives you a nice change of pace for this area/state and the wooded holes aren't that bad (although two of the best holes are probably gone forever).

Other than Barber all I've got is the Kraken up near Roxboro. Strange course but fun. The back nine is super short and wooded but has lots of lake carry holes and the front nine is super wide open and long and has that quirky hole where an abandoned tennis court is an island green. I was going to vote for either Campbell U. or Mazarick in FayetteNam but they just squeaked over 2.5.

Amigo park in Cleburne TX. I loved it but most people seem to not lol. Tight and technical with unique greenery. Lots of risk/reward

Von Baer near Logan UT. My discing buddy Chuck had a 4-day workshop there, so I drove over and played all the close courses we could cram into the afternoons and mornings. We played Von Baer the first morning, and then every morning at 7am after that, we liked it so much and it was close. A creek forms a tight gorge with dense cover on the creek, and scattered shrubbery on the 60' bluff that you throw up, down and across. Great cardio before breakfast!

Takena Landing in Albany OR a close 2nd.

Last edited:
Easy. Palmetto Bay Village Center south of Miami. I rated it at 3, and it would probably get rated higher nowadays. 21 holes with some beautiful wildlife, good shot/hole variety, and nice baskets. Tees are not great, and navigation isn't easy, but a very nice "raw" course.

I have many that I love playing regularly that are under 2.5, but I think they deserve their rating more than Palmetto Bay.