• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Speed rating vs. WIND Question

It probably isn't. I appreciate you pointing that out.

You are welcome. It is important info for everyone.

I am NOT going to a PD though. It may hurt my game, it may make me an Idiot, but I won't go to a PD.

It certainly won't improve your game. But throw what you dig.

I am throwing Trilogy brands now. I will find Something in those brands that will do the job. .

Jesus man. Don't throw Trilogy. You will find something that will work but not very well.

NO OFFENSE Intended! Please don't take it the wrong way. There is a story behind this..

I'm pretty offended. But I'm probably taking it the wrong way. What is your story?

Anyway, PDs are good into a headwind. So are lots of other discs. But throw something that suits your armspeed and you will end up happier.

The amount of wind is a factor as well. One of the posts disputed a few of my points:

-indicating going up in weight helps regardless-Disagree. Unless it is a brutal wind. Then yes heavy weights will win.

-What if you are already at max weight?

-personally I alway try to go to a faster more overstable disc in windy conditions and try to drop down in weight some. Unless it is just brutal wind (plus 20 mph in your face)-and at that point survival play starts-pull out your heaviest meat hook.

-Discs that are lighter go further.

-As I said with a lighter weight disc you increase your arm speed. Unless you throw with more power than finesse. Yes that drop in weight will exagerate the friction in flight in that scenario. But not if your a smoother thrower.

Trust me on this one. It took about ten years to figure this one out. And another ten years before disc technology would actully allow me thoroughouly convince my self.

Again, better technique will fix more problems than better disc selection.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the feedback. I appreciate the info. :)

I have tried a couple lighter weight (Opto Air) discs in the past couple days. The Air Havoc in 155gm actually seems pretty good in Wind, for me. I will say it seems to handle cross winds better than a straight on headwind in the lighter weight, IMO. It wouldn't turn over into a headwind, but it did seem like it slowed down faster than a heavier disc. Which, makes sense.

In general, I throw 170gm and up in slower speed, understable discs. When the speed of the disc goes up, high to mid 160gm discs seem to net me best flights and more distance.

I know my technique is nowhere near perfect. I am working on that, too.

I have tried a couple lighter weight (Opto Air) discs in the past couple days. The Air Havoc in 155gm actually seems pretty good in Wind, for me. I will say it seems to handle cross winds better than a straight on headwind in the lighter weight, IMO. It wouldn't turn over into a headwind, but it did seem like it slowed down faster than a heavier disc. Which, makes sense.

If that's the case, then stay away from the beefcake discs I mentioned earlier, for now. I've only thrown a couple of Opto Havocs that other people have beat in a bit, but they were both super flippy for me in calm conditions.

Good luck dialing in the right plastic for your arm speed in the wind...once you get into the correct realm of discs you'll have a better idea of where to go from there.

If that's the case, then stay away from the beefcake discs I mentioned earlier, for now. I've only thrown a couple of Opto Havocs that other people have beat in a bit, but they were both super flippy for me in calm conditions.

Good luck dialing in the right plastic for your arm speed in the wind...once you get into the correct realm of discs you'll have a better idea of where to go from there.

I threw 2 Opto (Not Opto AIR) Havocs that my Dad used to bag, too. They were super beat and I could actually use them for rollers. I wasn't really expecting much from the Opto AIR Havoc I picked up, but it is pretty flat topped and seems pretty stable, at the moment. I don't know that I am going to bag it, but it seemed interesting.

You might give the Boatman and/or Swords a test-run too, at least the Boatman can handle headwinds nicely enough from my experience throwing it and watching my friend throw it as well (if it gets REALLY windy, especially on the coastal course, he might pull out a PD, but Boatman is enough most of the time).

I have been eyeballing the Boatman and the new Sampo available in the Trilogy Challenge players packs. The Sampo is closer to the PD in rating numbers, but the Boatman looks interesting, too. Thanks for the Recommend! :)

Hit me up for your next Haboob round. I like the Enforcer for headwinds, the Bolt for tails, and the Escape as my go to.

Thanks for all the Recommends, Folks. I tried some of them over the past couple weeks and have really found a Great disc in the Trespass. It seems to be working out really well for me. Great line, even into a decent wind, but still throwable for me without the headwind. Awesome. Thanks again!

Latest posts