• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Favorite Mid Range to Forehand

AaronMonier18

Par Member
I recently got fed up with a hole on my home course. It's about 220 straight/slight dogleg and is tucked slightly (left, LHFH natural fade) into a well guarded green. I was consistently turning over a Buzzz/Wasp/Roc3 into some pine trees (on the right). I tried releasing more hyzer with lackluster results. I tried turning over a putter to get it there. It was inconsistent at best. Fairways went long and skipped deep. I needed something stable enough to handle some pop without the hard fade of a Gator or Drone. I was about to buy a $20 Moonshine Verdict. Seemed to fit by the numbers. I couldn't bring myself to spend that much on a disc that might just live in my trunk. Instead, I decided to grap a X-Out Z Hornet. This disc has fit the shot perfectly and I think it may be one of the best forehand mids out there today. It's been really useful in my game.

I was wondering what other players around here like to forehand for mids? Why does it work for you and what shots do you use it for?

Buzzz. The low profile makes it comfortable to grip for forehand shots.

Focus on throwing it smooth and it won't turn over on you.

I like Rocs for throwing forehand midranges. Admittedly, the forehand is a weak part of my game. But if I'm throwing a midrange forehand shot, I'm reaching for a Roc... usually a fresh KC Roc.

Champ Glow Gator for shots that require a decent amount of fade & I use one of my Rocs for all the other stabilities depending on what I need.

I know its not technically a midrange but I use a discraft ESP Zone for this shot, pretty consistent from 200-250ft. I mostly use it for flick upshots and hyzer forehands (right handed). Huge part of my game!

I flick all my mids buzz, wasp, hornet, and comet but my favorite by far is the comet, great for dead straight hyzer flips, soft hyzer, soft annys, or big high turnovers

its amazing

It's frustrating that every time someone mentions an over stable disc they are told to clean up their form.
Aaron is an excellent forehand dominant player. He can flick a meteor and a buzzz very well. I think the scenario he is describing is: what disc do you flick when you need to avoid the right side at all costs (Left side for a RHFH) while still holding a tight line.