• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Few questions I'm still confused about for people who throw 400+

Rll131

Bogey Member
Are you suppose to pull /punch your elbow as if you were picking someone up or are you suppose to punch your elbow out to the right as if you were elbowing someone.

Tight grip or loose grip throughout the throw then clamp really hard. I feel my arm moves much quicker with a very loose grip rather then a tight one but of course clamping down at the end.

Do you feel as though you use your arm muscles at all or are you more flinging your arm with your hips ?

To throw 400+ do you need a fast run up and strength or is it still about timing? Everyone says slow is smooth smooth is far but me going slow and smooth tops out at 350

One more question I play with a guy who can throw 420 or so and he has no reach back at all it stops around his left peck and always has his head looking where he is throwing how the hell is he throwing it so far is reach back not necessary?

Everyone says slow is smooth smooth is far but me going slow and smooth tops out at 350

One more question I play with a guy who can throw 420 or so and he has no reach back at all it stops around his left peck and always has his head looking where he is throwing how the hell is he throwing it so far is reach back not necessary?

You probably have the upper body mechanics correct for the most part. A good snap can get you 350' pretty consistently. Your friend however, obviously has a much better weight shift going into his throw.

Looks like your rear leg is weighted/late. Same issue I have been fighting for the last couple months. I think I see other things as well that could be improved such as not clearing the front hip and a lack of follow through.

This post probably belongs in the Form Analysis/Critique section also.

Are you suppose to pull /punch your elbow as if you were picking someone up or are you suppose to punch your elbow out to the right as if you were elbowing someone.

Tight grip or loose grip throughout the throw then clamp really hard. I feel my arm moves much quicker with a very loose grip rather then a tight one but of course clamping down at the end.

Do you feel as though you use your arm muscles at all or are you more flinging your arm with your hips ?

To throw 400+ do you need a fast run up and strength or is it still about timing? Everyone says slow is smooth smooth is far but me going slow and smooth tops out at 350

The elbow punch is more of an exaggerated drill/idea for the uninitiated to getting the elbow forward.

Yep loose is fast and the verge of out of control. The emphasis of the throw should be to get the weight/end head of the disc to accelerate faster than your hand. Depending on what kind of swing arc you put on the disc you can change how much grip pressure is needed to hold on or control the disc.

No arm muscles are used except to load up like spring until the disc passes my center, from there it feels more like a springing bench press to release

There are many ways to throw 400', but a slow walk is all that is needed in an efficient throw or even a standstill.

Far reachback is not necessary, but IMO a free wheeling backswing is much easier on the body.

I'm not sure how to answer your questions directly. "Right" is somewhat nebulous, and I'm not sure what you mean by "pull/punch as if picking someone up".

During the throw, my arm does have functions; it's not just being flung. It's maintaining width, for the most part (aka loading). If there's no muscle use, it's going to collapse/hug.

You're correct in thinking of the elbow as punching, but there is s motion at the end of the pull that is missing - I call it the 'karate chop' and it comes after the 'lawnmower'. Imagine there is a lawnmower (on a table so you're pulling at shoulder height) directly opposite your target and your reach back is going to start it; once your elbow is close to your target your hand 'karate chops' the disc to finish, but the motion of your arm/forearm/hand/disc is akin to a whip.

Loose then grip hard just as the pull is moving forward. Tight muscles are slow, especially fast twitch - they get fatigued quickly - the small, accurate muscles like those found in your forearm. Correct form helps tremendously...

The progression is 1 plant foot - x step 2 rotate hips just before beginning pull (not as easy as it sounds) 3 hips turn torso, torso turns shoulders, shoulders pull arm/forearm 4 lawnmower - karate chop 5 follow-through. 'Flinging' your arm with hips is close.

More timing as long as you have enough strength. A 5 year old can have perfect form & timing but without enough strength the disc won't go. Sounds like technique/form improvement and more large muscles in your throw will increase distance - haven't watched your vid yet.

Form tops strength. Find Dan Beto's right pec drill vid on youtube - I will find it and put up an article on my site. One of the longest throwers out there is Alex Geisinger (Minnesota) and he has a truncated reach back while others like Dion Arlyn out of Oregon reach waaaaaaaaay back.

Distance Secrets is a compilation of ideas from Dave Dunipace that I edited from the PDGA Discussion Board and had posted on Disc Golf Review, way back when.

There are also a bunch of other instructional articles there that have helped many people. Those articles are the place that I would send people.

And I know what I'm talking about because I used to only throw 190 ft but after applying those articles I now throw 590 ft.*

(*Internet length.)

[IRL average = 280 ft., on flat ground]