• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

field work making drives worse, please help

shep proudfoot

Bogey Member
So I've been playing for about 6 months (played a few times like 15 years ago when I was 11ish but I don't really count that). I'm constantly reading up and trying to get better. Recently I started doing local doubles and triples leagues a few weeks ago after some guys I met on my home course invited me. I know my form wasn't (isn't) very good but I was starting to get a little consistency on my drives (going straight and usually where I was aiming). I can throw my wraith about 325 ft. Not very good I know...

Anyways, at doubles last week a guy on my card that's pretty good (his team has been winning the majority of the rounds) was talking to me trying to help and said if I had any sort of decent form I could bomb drives. He said I wasn't using my lower body at all, not ending up on my front foot, and throwing every shot with anny. He recommended I do field work to try to get a good follow-through and learn to throw flat. He said if I kept doing what I was doing I would never really get much better. Now I take this stuff with a grain of salt but I think he was mostly right.

So I've been doing field work and my form is all sorts of messed up at this point (RHBH). I was throwing my whole bag (I throw kc aviars, rocs, mako, leopard, teebird, roadrunner, firebird, and wraiths). My putters and mids all turn and burn when I try to throw them far (not because I'm superman there's just probably some massive OAT going on). When I try to follow through more on drives and use my lower body I griplock or torque everything and my shots go soaring to the right. When I focus on throwing flat the shots just fade out super quick. Sometimes I haul back and the shot goes soaring high into the air or I sometimes shoot straight into the ground. Occasionally I get a decent rip that goes around 300-325, but I really want to improve on that and not rely on strong-arming everything like I have been. My longest throws were with my 168 champ teebird and my 170 champ roadrunner. Also got some good throws with my star leopard.

I'm basically just wondering if anyone has gone through this and if anyone has any advice. I don't expect to have perfect form overnight but it is super frustrating and I feel like I can't even play a course at this point, my discs would be flying every which way. I'm guessing people will suggest dropping the wraiths until I can get my slower stuff out farther, which I've been debating doing anyways (no point throwing a speed 11 driver when my teebirds are more consistent). In any case I would really appreciate any feedback or help! :wall::confused:

yup.

it sounds like you're trying too hard. i did the same thing. put me in a field and i'm trying to throw my discs out of sight, using all my arm. it's dumb and it's hard to realize that's what you're doing sometimes. it's not about distance, it's about mechanics. it's not about far or how much effort you put in, it's about right. the distance will follow. unfortunately, more practice isn't what you need. you need better practice. until you figure out how, you're just confusing and frustrating yourself like i was, and still do as i attempt to break the 415-430' mark.

it was not fun and it took a lot of dedicated field practice, a month or so, before i was throwing my speed 12/13 415-430' consistently. even that's not that great for a high speed driver, IMO, i've still got lots of work to do. the important thing is to know what you need to do first.

video yourself. if i had done so more frequently i wouldn't have had nearly as frustrating a time. even if you don't post it up here, what you're doing will instantly become clear to you as long as you are observant and compare it to videos of proper form. what helped me was fixing my grip, wrist orientation and slowing down to focus on where the power was coming from. i mean, way way way down to the point where i wondered how i would generate any power . . . but it worked and i generated even more because each movement was linked.

it sucks. but it is what it is. throw what gets you from point A to point B unless you really wanna put the effort in, which is another form of fun for me but also a huge frustration sometimes. there's no "right" or "wrong" to having fun.

also, try dx or pro at some point. dx goes stupid far with minimal effort. you won't have to torque on it or anything. i've started giving my beat up dx teebirds to newbs i played with and seen them instantly throw better as long as they throw nice and slow, level and even. i played with brokenshoulder and we were both using dx discs for distance, it was awesome. it's a cheap and instant solution that will help keep your form honest as well as giving you a little extra distance. when they break in, they're great for hyzerflip distance and tailwinds. never really lose their use, and i bet you'll get them nice and seasoned with consistent field work. you could then have complements in star/champ to use on the course while working on your form with the cheaper discs that keep you more honest and slowing things down.

Last edited:
:thmbup:Great post, that sums it up nicely. I had forgotten all about dx plastics, I'm going to pick up a couple cheapos this week!

Hell I don't think too many people can control a flippy disc at that distance like the master can. I imagine KC could throw a beat DX archangel on a spike hyzer that far lol.

Thanks for the posts guys, I'll try to video myself in the next few days and see what's going on. I guess angrily trying to heave discs far isn't really the way to go lol. I also have a dx TB I'm going to dig out and throw.

I guess angrily trying to heave discs far isn't really the way to go lol.

i still do it when i get frustrated and realize i'm not focusing on what i actually need to do. :eek:

it gets it out of my system, tires me out, makes my arm sore and then i have to slow down again.

i'm not saying a dx teebird or a dx disc is the magical answer for you...from what i hear, not from experience, they get squirrelly and season poorly above speed 9 (i would only go to speed 7). but when i want to throw a decent distance and not really have to try, the dx teebird work wonders for me. i actually have more confidence throwing it through the woods. especially from a standstill. :thmbup:

you could also consider a beat pro wraith instead of dx stuff - my friend, guurn on here, he throws flippy pro wraiths for his distance drivers. he doesn't throw quite as far as me but he can kick my ass regularly. for him it's all about feeling as if he doesn't have to throw a disc hard and it really works for him, same principle as my love for dx teebirds.

One thing that's helped me with my form is to quit with X-step/run-up and just stand still when you throw. Obviously you'll have to shift your weight, but when you take footwork out of the equation and don't have to think about where your feet are and where they end up and can just concentrate on your form and release, I think you'll see that it helps your accuracy. My form has improved a lot in the last few months with that and, truth be told, I'm throwing just as far (if not farther) without the X-step because of that improvement.

To add on what Kodachrome and others have mentioned, you have to quit getting upset and slow down. You cannot fix all of your mechanics at one time and you aren't going to add 150' in one session. Slow down and be precise - video, as mentioned, will show you what needs work. Then, focus on one or two things to change at a time. You really can't do any more than that.
Koda is right about DX also. It goes far. Before I tore up my shoulder and quit playing for 13 years I was throwing DX gazelles over 400'. I watched koda do it a couple weeks ago easily with a teebird, and I'm edging up to that with a Valkyrie now. I can throw my Havocs about the same distance, but it requires more effort to do it and I have very little idea where it's going to end up.
Change your mindset though. You have to learn to appreciate the process, and the small victories. It will not be like flipping a switch, but rather a small series of revelations. Rome wasn't built in a day. Enjoy the science of it, and be tenacious, but not so frustrated that you're miserable. This is a hobby after all. :)

I am still hanging around the the 300 mark and see 350 on my best pulls. It took exactly one year to get to that distance, and i ain't getting any younger.
I cought a few of my early good throws on video and compared them to average pulls in slow motion. You'll notice the suble differences in the throw and start to build and understanding of what's going on in the throw. It's interesting how tiny little details can add up to +\- 30 ft. Get several details on the + side of things and add distance. I have found my 300 ish drives keep me in the game most of the time and good for around par on most courses. Does it keep pace with guys that get bird opps at 450? Depends , but usually not. I may have to get back to some video myself! I would be happy to see 350 on a regular basis, but more cocerned with shaving shots by making the the few 20 ft birdie putts I see per round.:wall: love this game!

One thing that's helped me with my form is to quit with X-step/run-up and just stand still when you throw. Obviously you'll have to shift your weight, but when you take footwork out of the equation and don't have to think about where your feet are and where they end up and can just concentrate on your form and release, I think you'll see that it helps your accuracy. My form has improved a lot in the last few months with that and, truth be told, I'm throwing just as far (if not farther) without the X-step because of that improvement.

This exactly. Learn to shift your weight and throw from a standstill during fieldwork. Best advice I ever got.

Thanks guys, lots of good information. Will try to keep in mind that it's a process and I can always improve. I had an idea that I'd just "get it" one day but it's just going to take practice.

If you're only throwing 325, you probably don't need much besides a putter, a mid, and a leopard. Once you can get a Leopard consistantly out to about 350, then move to faster plastic.

I've seen some huge improvements in my drives lately. I went from maxing at 350' to flirting with 400', and my longest at 410'.

A few things have really helped me improve. The first would be taking my time and slowing things down. Before you throw, take a second and go through a mental review. For me, I think about going in to the x-step, the reach back, planting my foot, turning my hips, shoulders, release and pivot. If you try to rush through them, you'll get out of sync and it will all break down.

Video yourself and compare it to the pro's form. I thought I had decent form, but upon seeing myself throw I realized I need to lean over the disc, reach back further, lean in to the throw and pivot on my heel. Kind of disappointing to see, but necessary.

Once I spotted the weak areas, I started fixing them one by one. First was correct power grip. Then leaning over the disc, leaning in the throw and finally the heel pivot.

Each time I've corrected an area, I notice my first ~25 throws aren't that great. Once it starts to feel more natural, there's a noticeable gain in distance. Just last night, I was throwing 325' on a rope towards my practice basket no problem. 8 months ago, I would have fought to get there with very little accuracy.

Use your field work to work on specific areas of your form, don't go out to "throw farther." Distance is the result of correct mechanics.

How I like to think of driving in disc golf is like this.

When I used to play baseball and get into the batters box trying to put the ball over the fence i usually popped in the air or hit it right into the ground, that is if I didn't miss the ball completely. Now when I just went in their trying to hit and doing it right, the ball carried.

What I'm trying to say is you gotta slow down and concentrate. A smoother drive is going to go farther than when you force it and try to bomb 500'. What I do, cuz i have the exact same problem, is start with stand still drives, it forces you to be smooth and use proper mechanics. After a few drives, I go to my full run-up concentrating on smooth releases.

Btw, my best throw was 400' in a wide open field and i still bogeyed the hole, so take that with a grain or two of salt.

So I've been playing for about 6 months...

This is your main dillema. I've yet to see anyone 6 months in be very consistent. Keep observing, studying and practicing good form, disc physics etc. but most of all, play consistently. I recommend a minimum of twice a week and 3-4 rounds in total.

I've been doing field work with a friend recently, we've been doing an exercise where one if us holds a pile of 20 or so drivers and hands them off to the thrower at the furthest point in the backswing. Done at a brisk pace, you don't have time to think so hard and you can concentrate on replicating your form. It's worked wonders for me, plus it's a heck of an arm work out.