• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Filling some gaps in a Newb bag

I was in love with beat DX Teebirds but frustrated they left the sweet spot so fast, found the FD Jackal and never looked back. For my noodle arm the S-Line is straight to slightly overstable, G-line is straight to slightly understable at 167/168g.

Same crazy glide as a DX Teebird, same control, but in premium plastic and start out in the sweet spot.

At some point thought about moving back to Pro Leopards since they are slightly more controllable and slightly straighter in the woods, but they are also slightly shorter and noodle arms need all the extra distance we can get...

You can't go wrong with a tried and true midrange like a Buzzz or Roc/Roc3. Others that fit this category are Axis, Core, Claymore, Mako3, and likely others but I haven't thrown them to recommend. They will be true to your form and always useful.

Also get a couple of putters (whatever mold you choose) that you can trust to throw and approach with, something like a Wizard, Ion, Anode, Envy, likely a bunch of others. Something that flies well (can be driven and hold straight) but will still force you to keep yourself clean because it's not a brick overstable disc.

What they said! And throw all sorts of discs. There are tons of them out there.

Stoppped into our sporting goods store (Scheels in W. Des Moines). Besides the discs arranged in complete chaos, got to hold/feel several on this list. After much back and forth (and just finding the discs), I feel pretty confident with these 4 discs.

Pro Leopard 169g
X Buzzz 176g
Atom Electron Soft 171g
R Pro Aviar 175g

Ordered through DGC

Leopard felt comfortable and familiar. Thought I wanted an Axis, but they didn't have any (held a Vector) so I tried a Buzzz. Feels great in hand for BH and FH. Wanted to go DX Aviar for upshots and Summit for putting, but after holding a Soft Atom, it felt too good to pass on. So grippy. The rubbery feel of the R Pro plastic felt like a great replacement for my worn out SS Omega.

Again, thanks for everyone that put in their $.02. I feel like I have a pretty good base bag to work with developing my game. I'll make sure to put away my Champion Tern so I won't be tempted to use it...at least till I'm worthy.

Stoppped into our sporting goods store (Scheels in W. Des Moines). Besides the discs arranged in complete chaos, got to hold/feel several on this list. After much back and forth (and just finding the discs), I feel pretty confident with these 4 discs.

Pro Leopard 169g
X Buzzz 176g
Atom Electron Soft 171g
R Pro Aviar 175g

Ordered through DGC

Leopard felt comfortable and familiar. Thought I wanted an Axis, but they didn't have any (held a Vector) so I tried a Buzzz. Feels great in hand for BH and FH. Wanted to go DX Aviar for upshots and Summit for putting, but after holding a Soft Atom, it felt too good to pass on. So grippy. The rubbery feel of the R Pro plastic felt like a great replacement for my worn out SS Omega.

Again, thanks for everyone that put in their $.02. I feel like I have a pretty good base bag to work with developing my game. I'll make sure to put away my Champion Tern so I won't be tempted to use it...at least till I'm worthy.

As the old beer commercial says: Brilliant! Sounds like a good bag. BTW, do take that Tern out and throw it for fun every now and again... it'll show you how you're progressing as your form and technique improve...