• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Finally broke my distance plateau.

Yeah, always got that consistent drive to get better.

Absolutely. I always tell myself that I'll be happy when I reach such and such a milestone, and I always come up with something else that I need to accomplish. :)

I'm sure you will. It didn't take me long to get from 275' to 300'. Now I'm pretty stuck with my good drives averaging about 330', and my longest drives going 360'.
Good to hear. You've been playing twice as long as I have. There's still time.

There are a few holes that this will really help out on. I'm also curious to see how much 30 feet flatground becomes when you're throwing downhill.
The rule of thumb is for every foot of elevation change you get about three feet of distance change. It kind of falls apart for really long or really steep hills, though.

The rule of thumb is for every foot of elevation change you get about three feet of distance change. It kind of falls apart for really long or really steep hills, though.
That's good to know especially for courses I haven't played before. Thanks.

Definitely, though I've only been playing more than 4-5 times a year for the last two years, and almost all of my real distance improvement has happened in 2009. Luckily I had some downtime between the end of college and the real world so I was able to play 36-72 holes a day for a couple months, along with field practice and putting practice a few times a week. It's amazing how much that consistent of throwing helped me, I dropped 6-8 strokes off my average at my home course in just 6 weeks of doing that.

Definitely, though I've only been playing more than 4-5 times a year for the last two years, and almost all of my real distance improvement has happened in 2009. Luckily I had some downtime between the end of college and the real world so I was able to play 36-72 holes a day for a couple months, along with field practice and putting practice a few times a week. It's amazing how much that consistent of throwing helped me, I dropped 6-8 strokes off my average at my home course in just 6 weeks of doing that.
I know the birth of my second child was detrimental to my disc golf development. Oh well. I love the little guy. I won't hold it against him.

See -- I have found that there was an equinox of sorts when I turned 30. Up to them my max d improved as the years went by -- but since 30 it has started to start to slowly decline as I approach 35. Not to burst your bubble -- I'm positive that isn't the case for everyone, just pointing out that it isn't a rule of thumb that time:improvement to distance.

See -- I have found that there was an equinox of sorts when I turned 30. Up to them my max d improved as the years went by -- but since 30 it has started to start to slowly decline as I approach 35. Not to burst your bubble -- I'm positive that isn't the case for everyone, just pointing out that it isn't a rule of thumb that time:improvement to distance.
My sole purpose in life is to prove you wrong, sir!

=)

nose down meaning the nose angle is slightly lower than parallel to the ground. It sounds counter-productive but having the nose even slightly higher than parallel (especially with angle sensitive sharp edged discs) will cause the disc to stall a little and hyzer prematurely.

I've always been familiar with these concepts but I just wasn't able to get the angle right.

That's exactly right. I always tell everyone that nose down=30 extra feet of distance, on average. Some people finagle nose down by playing with thumb placement. My problem has always been that my hand shape (+slightly bent pinky) yields a very strong grip for nose up angles, and a weak grip for nose down angles. You have to make adjustments and work on hand strength in those grips that are also compatible with nose down flights.

I was stuck at about 280 for my max drive until I recently started slowing everything down. I am much slower on my "run up", way slower on my pull back and only accellerate once I have about 30% of my follow through left. It has really helped me create snap as well. I measured my last 2 throws on flat ground last night at 316 (162g Valk) and 376 (150g Boss)!!! The later did receive a little wind help but still. I know these aren't "massive" drives but having the ability to consistantly go around 300 has helped lower my score by putting my closer for aproach shots. My advice, slow down nose down.