• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First form check!

For the perpetually longer swing drill(and most of my drills), start by just standing in natural neutral stance, do not stagger feet much if any, do not turn feet back or in, do not bend knees. You want to be able to mirror everything back and forth effortlessly. Drag your feet back and forth so that you are fully standing up on the foot or leg you are swinging on - rear leg in backswing and front leg in forward swing.

Hard to see in side camera view, but your front leg is collapsed/seated in the finish while I'm fully extended standing upright balanced on it like could stand for days.

lOUHGJu.png

I'm going to figure this out, please don't give up on me! :)

Here are some perpetual swings after some (a lot) of trial and error. My feet did have to be much closer together to facilitate the knee action and balance. I found that setting the beginning and ending of the swing on each side seemed to help. I ended with a one step motion in the first drill vid. Then, I tried a few more one step swing motions in the 2nd. How do these look?

Perpetual swing drill vid

One steps vid

To assist, adding stills & wire frames from my standstill pendulum swing starting ~0:23 in Vid 1 against yours. This made me realize I don't know where my CoG is, but I guessed. Balance-wise, I do feel like I could stand on the supporting leg indefinitely in either direction.

Attachments

• PerpetualSwing_CoG.jpg
    PerpetualSwing_CoG.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 18
Stance and balance look better.

The drill is to start with only the arm/disc swinging, then the feet assist the swinging motion to make the swing longer. You are doing this backwards moving your feet before your arm/disc start swinging.

Your swing is also cutting inward/rightward across your front foot/heel and releasing toward your door to the right, instead of swinging outward/leftward wide over toes and release straight out to target. Your swing should only go to the right after it can't go forward any longer and momentum takes it over there. Keep your shoulders closed to target and extend your arm/disc targetward, then everything opens up after release - also see Slow Motion Drill to see this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5xfv9jPqZs#t=8m26s

Looking better. I would start in slightly wider stance and just slightly stagger closed. Your swings looked rushed back and forth and not making the swing heavy enough to pull/drag your feet in. You want to make a longer swing back and forth, not faster.

Adjusted stance. This time, I'm trying to slow down and really imagine that my hand/disc weigh 10 pounds and swing it like a short sledgehammer/kettlebell. It was easier to feel the weight as I approached the apex/full extension and I get a bit of a stretch in my back (this happened passively if I let the weight of my arm drive the motion). This time, I only completed one step shots if I could feel the weight of my arm pulling my body and plant foot up first.

Three new vids:
(1) "Heavy" perpetual swing - Front view.
Vid 1

(2) Side view "heavy" perpetual swing - Side view. Also several one steps at the end.
Vid 2

(3) One step full swings w/ slightly different strides/leg extensions - Front view.
Vid 3

Last edited:
Your upper body starts going over top as your trailing foot stays back both directions. You need your feet to drag inward back and forth to remain in dynamic upright on the posted leg without tipping over.

Much better lower body motion!

Your upper body/arm is swinging too early or not fully completing the backswing as you plant into next step. Need to keep lagging and elongating the swing thru the torso so the next step pulls the string - bow and arrow or double dragon.

Phew, awesome! This is radically different and feels great so far. Hopefully my balance keeps improving with reps.

For load the bow/double dragon, let me see if I get the key idea & how to integrate it with what I've learned so far.

As the weight of my arm swings back, it should be pulling up against my lead leg and into dynamic balance on rear leg (as I now understand it). Then, the weight of my lead leg/body is accelerated down due to gravity and further accelerated due to the drive leg. The change that I need to make should be a bit more extension of the torso through the shoulder at a slight lag as I plant (I can think of this like "let the kettlebell stretch me a bit"), creating a bit of elastic tension/triggering a myotactic reflect that assist acceleration forward.

Already getting easier and easier to tweak the platform. You are a surgeon at this. Saving my body and my game!

Happy early Thanksgiving :)

Your feet are just kind of stepping in place and not really pulling the swing or being pulled by the swing.

Your rear foot spins out and stays back and your upper body goes over top. Rear foot should move forward countering behind front the front like a bowler and putting your upper body more upright on front leg. Drag your feet back and forth.

Ok, so current homework is to drill this hard to integrate the improved leg action and swing pull each way (Post 51) w/ the shoulder extension (Post 56). Will slow it down, drill, & post at next chance.

Couple related notes:
-New pendulum one step: I played today and took a quick vid of the new one step so far. Like Post 56, I may be getting more shoulder extension, but I don't think I'm getting the full swing pulling the feet or vice versa. Not sure how the arm rotation looks at this stage.
One step

-Drive leg - Post up!: Any time I throw, I think I need to remember to "post up" higher on the ball of my foot on my drive leg. My weight is loaded in the ball of my drive foot, but it's still way too flat-footed. The longer the weight shift, the harder it is for my drive leg to properly extend & "skate" & get pulled by the swing. Since I'm not pushing from the heel I'm not exactly "knee jamming" like in the Drive Leg Mechanics thread, but since my foot is so flat the effect is similar to Earhart's form where my arm drags and I'm still putting some momentum over top of the brace. I also have to work harder for the distance I get.

-Pro Comparison: Attached is a side view of Gibson and Lizotte throwing 450' vs me doing a short x-step today. My flat drive foot means my hip isn't fully able to clear and cock high. My upper body is aligned more vertically. As a result, I also lack that little bit of falling acceleration that also helps get my weight fully into the plant. This can be seen clearly here:
Pendulum X-step

-The long pendulum action seems to help my timing overall.

Attachments

• DriveLegPost.jpg
    DriveLegPost.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 14
1. Rear knee/hip must stay leveraged inside/forward of rear ankle.

2. If doing a pendulum backswing, your hand(external shoulder rotation) must come back underneath the disc somewhat to the top of the backswing, just like bowling. Your hand is on the very top of the disc pulling/dragging it up and your arm/shoulder are not in good position to leverage against the disc.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-27 at 1.47.58 PM copy.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-11-27 at 1.47.58 PM copy.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 59
Update as of this AM. I worked hard to get the skate to work with the shoulder extension in the pendulum drill over an increasing range of motion (Video 1). Hope that's going better.
Vid 1

Then, I tried to transfer the technique to one steps again. I also consciously focused on the drive leg starting higher on the ball of my foot/feeling like a stiffer spring and tweaked the reachback. This seems to automatically put my body in a better position (pic attached). I end more balanced and my arm doesn't seem to drag. The series of side view throws looks a bit better than one in the front view to my novice eye.

However, now that you point it out I see I'm still letting that knee swivel back over the ankle a bit in the reachback - stance looks like it has become too narrow again. Could maybe still also get the hand "under" the disc more?

Vid 2 Front

Vid 3 Side

Attachments

• DriveLegPost.jpg
    DriveLegPost.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 7

Latest posts