• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First form check!

Hooray, moving back to fieldwork trying to apply all these changes (shorter/less rear-facing x-step, more wrist tension, more shoulder tilt & disc on level plane from reach-back through hit). I suppose I can only learn how to achieve the new balance by actually throwing & focusing on them until they're each consistent together.

Here's a warm up swing, then all slight hyzer to flat shots with different effort levels here. Old errors are creeping in here and there as I apply the effort necessary to throw. Some throws felt somewhat tighter, but I'm not sure if any one throw looks "ok."

Vid

Wrist action looks better.

1. Is your camera angle 90 degrees? Also helps to video from straight behind tee, you are missing half the information without it.

2. You are slowing down on your left foot, so there is no point to your x-step. You can accelerate faster in a "standstill".

Looks like I'm never quite at 90 degrees to camera, sorry.

Ok, next session:

-Will get true 90 deg. from front and behind tee.
-Will get a few standstills.
-Will get a few slow, shorter xsteps so I accelerate better.

Xstep seems to get longer again when I'm reminding myself to implement all the other changes, kind of like it's implicitly trying to buy me time and then I get stuck. If I focus on that first in each session it might help. Will drill and slow it down!

A couple one steps and XSteps from each angle w/ 3-4 speed discs. Low-medium effort on each. In the rear angles I'm aiming at the soccer net ~315' straight ahead, slightly downhill.

One Steps
Today, getting about 85-90% the distance as X-Step at similar effort.
Vid 1

X-Steps
I realized from the last montage that I tend to "stab" the disc back in the X-Step, which was contributing to getting stuck. Here I'm trying to move around the disc. Doesn't look 100% right, but I felt much more acceleration into the weight shift and balance at the end. The last X-Step in the series felt the smoothest and went the farthest (~330' w/ the downhill).
Vid 2

Striding over too much to the left and landing too flat footed and too far behind your heel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxnhM5amro0#t=1m14s

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-10 at 4.32.24 PM copy.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-12-10 at 4.32.24 PM copy.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 67
That's a helpful reminder/empathy in the midst of this, thanks! That entire video was even more helpful at this stage too.

Was messing around at home today. Seems like what's happening is when I increase the force from drill-level to close to throw-level, my body's kicking that leg out again reflexively to catch my weight.

Went back to Swivel stairs and Crushing the can-rebooted.

If I "walk around the disc" my lead hip internally rotates ok w/ the heel tending to come a bit over the toes of my drive foot. But I have to consciously correct the plant angle to be on a better line. So I'm getting into a Hershhyzer position, then training my plant leg to swing in-out into the toe-heel landing consistent w/ the Swivel stairs. It also seems to automatically clean up the reachback angle a bit.

Will try to get to field again soon b/c I need to convince my brain it's ok to plant like that with more acceleration.

After 2 rounds w/ new form, friend got a few throws from the rear to check out plant stride today. Is this heading the right direction?

Here are some at medium effort:

Vid

Exciting notes from the rounds and field:
-Increased power. I unintentionally blew past a couple targets in my round. Before I left, tried a few ~90% effort field hyzerflips w/ a new flippy Wraith and got a new personal best at 420'! Form still starts to get messy at higher effort. Gotta take it slow and progressively learn load the bow. Grip pressure will need time to recalibrate to new acceleration.

-I am TIRED in a new way. Hips, core, and lats are fatigued like never before. Like a good workout, not pain. Shoulder and pec seem to be taking almost no strain at all now. I should sleep well tonight.

Reminders to self:
-Rear arm (e.g., Throw 3) getting dragged a bit in higher effort throws reveals some slop. Be patient, get the feet and shift right.

-Yes, there's still such a thing as too much in one day. I played a 36 short holes w/ the new form. Then did med. speed fieldwork, then long drives. Knees are a little overworked, probably made worse as legs fatigue heading into long drives. Body needs a little time to adapt to new movements. Should probably split rounds and fieldwork to different days esp. if I'm pushing limits.

-Distance lines. Need to experiment w/ hyzerflip angles & heights more. Hard to predict what some distance drivers do now w/ higher power. Grip not used to 400'+ power.

-Wing down! Gotta watch that wing in the reachback. When I think about my feet it wants to tilt down. Set it level and keep walking around the disc. Drill more swivel stairs.

-Keep that wrist tension. Throwing hammers is fun.

Attachments

• JM_vs_SW22_NewPlantStep.jpg
    JM_vs_SW22_NewPlantStep.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 12
  • UDisc Measured Throw-1639328785989.jpg
    UDisc Measured Throw-1639328785989.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 11
Yay! Will use that as my template to improve henceforth.

*Also noticed today:* it looks like my drive leg lost a little leverage while I was focusing on my plant leg. That might also be inhibiting my ability to lead w/ the toe into the plant.

Drill solution: swivel stair motion on flat ground while keeping weight forward of drive leg.

Was looking again at throws from the last session to pick specific goals for next field session. I'm paying close attention to the relationship between my upper & lower body.

Before, I excluded a few throws where I thought the plant stride/step was too flat or I was dropping the wing in the reachback. However, the arm action of some of them revealed something interesting. Added a representative one as Throw 4 at the end of the previous montage here:
Vid

Still shots compared to other throws also attached.

In all 4, it looks like my left shoulder is protracted & I swim. But I noticed that all 3 of the throws from before had my trailing arm slightly to moderately behind yours relative to the vertical line. In new Throw 4 it is nice and tucked inside the vertical line.

It's a little hard for me to pick out, but I'm speculating that as I'm tweaking the bottom half to find my footing, my weight transfer/balance are not consistent since I'm hesitating slightly to find the new plant stride. That causes me to drag just a bit of weight and then the trailing arm isn't always in perfect position/sync.

If that's right, my guess is the best thing to do is keep smoothing out the new drive-to-plant footwork at medium speed and see if the arm finds the right beat.

At higher effort, inconsistency in new footwork/weight shift & related variance in the arm action might be the difference between 375' and 420' throws.

How far can a 30-something big boi hope to go???

Attachments

• JM_vs_SW22_NewPlantStep4Throws.jpg
    JM_vs_SW22_NewPlantStep4Throws.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 18
I think you are too focused on the swim back part, and not helping your hips shift forward underneath your upper body.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpp7ZFLHK90#t=9m40s

Your rear leg action is kind of backwards, you bend landing on rear leg, instead of extending up on it to pass over the rear foot and then squat/drift. Note how your rear foot goes to the left leaving the ground, instead of countering behind you to the right.

Practicing doing the buttwipe on the wall from Hershyzer crossover. You have to extend rear leg to get forward over rear foot.

OH! That swim move change just made a huge difference in towel practice swings. Holy crap. Momentum is better collecting forward and the swim move is naturally even tighter into my body through the hit without changing anything else. Feel for timing is even more clear. Man, I wish I could run out to the field right now!

Also, I went out early this morning trying to tighten up the footwork with slow to medium speed swings before you posted. I was trying to (1) get that drive leg stiffer w/ weight flowing over and (2) find more consistent toe-heel action in the plant.

The rear view seems to suggest the drive leg is stiffer and kicking more right than left now. But my weight is still not always as forward as it should be. More buttwipe/Hershyzer on the menu. The plant foot is still creeping out left more than it should. Anything else?

I suspect this change to the swim move will also help drive everything more targetward & encourage weight to flow ahead of the drive step. Will drill & try in next field session!

Rear of tee
Vid 1

Side of tee
Vid 2

Other notes:
-I took the "side of tee" shots first; my weight shift seems to improve as the fieldwork session goes on by the time I get to rear shots. Gotta reinforce that heavily.
-Must keep forcing that wing up at peak of backswing, it always wants to start down.

Also, I still work on one steps each session. These are still focused on stiffer drive leg and toe-heel action into plant. Here are back & side of tee:

One step rear of tee
Vid 1

One step side of tee
Vid 2

Now that you've pointed it out, it's super clear how my rear arm is not helping my hips shift forward in these!

I also feel MUCH more elastic tension across my back and my throwing arm seems to spring forward more quickly with similar effort. I think I felt this a few weeks or months ago and kind of never implemented it in the swing.

Did more Hershyzering/buttwipe tonight. Then, just changing the swim move to focus on the lateral elbow significantly changes the overall motion pattern. Noticeable increase in acceleration. The drive leg now automatically kicks right to counterbalance. It feels easier to get my weight forward. My whole body feels more connected around a tighter axis.

Vid over a small weight shift:
Vid

1. I don't advise practice in socks on wood floor.

2. I think your reachback/head/shoulder is too far over your toes / outside posture (see Inside Swing Drill). Might be ok for massive right to left hyzer, but not any kind of distance or straightish shot. Note how inline my whole frontside is, heel to hip to shoulder disc - door frame drill/bow arrow/inside swing drill.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWasFdvnGio#t=6m5s

3. WTF Richard! Your shoulders are way open before your elbow extends. Note how my elbow is still leading in front of the disc to the left to hammer out wide. Your elbow cuts across the disc to the right, sawing off the arc/leverage.

4. I think you would be better off "Not Spilling the Beverage" instead of trying to swim or thrashing/drowning/spinning out.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 10.01.09 PM copy.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 10.01.09 PM copy.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 58
Looks like I made what my dance teacher calls "A Manly correction." Lots of Hershyzer, Swivel Stairs, and Inside Swing early this morning. I did swivel stairs at slightly different speeds and focused on getting my rear arm in an ideal balanced position.

Your pts:
1. Got me, shoes back on!
2. Roger, I think it went out of whack w/ the over-baked swim move. Inside Swing helped remind why that's wrong.
3. What the hell. Seems like bad new swim was kinda pushing/bunching it open.
4. In the attached new vid, I do a slow swing drill w/ beverage, then one step & a couple X-steps trying to preserve the feel of the rear arm. Arm feels totally different. Interestingly the hand comes down at the end but I was just letting it do whatever it wanted and focused on "don't spill".

Fixing that swim move
Vid