• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First Try 360 Throw =-O small gain

kachtz

Birdie Member
Played some in richmond today at Dorey park, afterwards went and threw some in the soccer fields.

figured i would try the 360 throw out

new best! 540' no wind

i threw three destroyer discs (170gm 170gm 172 gm) within 6 ft of each other on the same throw, one disc was touching another disc at 540ft..talk about luck.

as for the goal of 600-

I feel like im throwing almost as hard as i can, i dont think im benefiting from the 360 yet, as i am kind of pausing in the throw, feels like a hesitation. I feel like i have maxed out on distance already, :( but i will keep some hope because
I still notice way too much of that Off Axis Torque wobble on my throws, if i can clean that up and release the disc a few degrees lower that might help

2 months playing will be on June 5th...with a few OAT clean up drills from you guys i hope to hit 600 by then (but not likely) .:hfive: i just need to search the site for them!

GL...600' isn't easy...if it was everybody'd be doing it. They say to throw putter rounds and learn to throw your putter to help reduce OAT, but I'm not sure that drill would be rewarding for you...

Yeah, I'm sure you'll make 600'. Just like before, keep your arm on plane, try not to pull up or down. Slow and smooth, keep your hand on the same plane throughout the pull. You'll figure it out, and as far as distance goes, just focus on really late throwing it smooth, and just snapping the **** out of it. You'll pick up some more distance.

Btw, keep reading those threads on DGR like we all told you, there is till stuff you'll figure out.

its just depressing to feel like your going to do much better next time you go out, but when i go out and try i am only gaining 30' at a time.

as for the game itself--I do enjoy playing the difficult tactical courses in the woods better...

dude you are pickin up 30 feet each time i have been playing a year and a half and you are blowing past me (in distance) dont be depressed be realistic

its just depressing to feel like your going to do much better next time you go out, but when i go out and try i am only gaining 30' at a time.

as for the game itself--I do enjoy playing the difficult tactical courses in the woods better...

If I gained 30' every time I went out I certainly wouldn't be bitching.

Your distance is already ridiculous. If you can push a disc to 540' after two months, you'll eventually hit 600'. Don't get down on yourself. Rome wasn't built in a day (if it was Mike Holmes would have found problems with it, gutted it, and rebuilt it, but I digress). A lot of small improvements will equal a big difference over time.

People act like it's so much harder to throw 550', because they've never done it and don't know, but it isn't. ONCE YOU LEARN TO HIT, it's just as easy to throw 550' as it is throwing 300' for those that top out 280' or so.

It's actually harder for those that truly hi it, to throw shorter distances. Because, then they want to hit EVERYTHING, and have to learn how to back off snap and power.(and they can, if they choose to.) His accuracy at 550 isn't going to be that much off his 350' distance accuracy. I could go into the whole accuracy vs distance spiel again, but I won't. The "needed" distance vs how far you're throwing is completely irrelevant, and how accurate he is at that distance is minimal in the whole discussion.

Last edited:
Makes sense as accuracy usually corresponds to your longer drives...since your doing everything right. The skilled accuracy stuff really comes down to approach and putting IMO. I can't drive far but my furthest drives also happen to be my most accurate..since I hit everything just right.....I'd imagine 550 would be a straight shot and the shorter ones would be erratic and hyzered or anhyzered off and thus much shorter due to nose angle error. I would think everyones longest drive is actually their most accurate.

I'd imagine 550 would be a straight shot and the shorter ones would be erratic and hyzered or anhyzered off and thus much shorter due to nose angle error. I would think everyones longest drive is actually their most accurate.

True distance is measured in a more straight line, this is irrelevant to the fact though. Even his shorter drives won't be erratic, hyzer/anhyzered. Same nose angles apply, and these shorter drives will actually be more accurate as long as he can control his distance. But, again it's really irrelevant.

I am agreeing with you......my point was that to drive with big D accuracy and proper technique are required. A poorly thrown disc has no shot of going 400 feet let alone 600. A well thrown discs will stat true (accurate) and because of it's accuracy travel much further

Unlike throwing a round baseball or a shotput a disc has to be thrown with accuracy to go far and relies on more than brute power and armspeed.

are you a former discus thrower?

The way you described it in the post before made it sound differently. But, the last post is close enough.

So I can confirm this as well. I throw 400' consistently but I had an absolute perfect throw a couple weeks ago that went 550. now I am on the mission to get that hit right every time because I know I am capable of it.

Everyone is capable; minus debilitating injury and relatively normal physical fitness. Making it all work is the hard part.

Wow, if you're at 540' now and gaining 30' per outing, it'll only be about 5 months until you can throw over a full mile -- as long as you keep going out every day. Keep it up and you won't even have to leave your backyard to ace pretty much any course from Newport News to DC.

You should probably go ahead and call Guinness now as I understand they have a pretty full schedule and the wait list can be long.

Latest posts