• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Five easiest ways to develop distance!

ehillis

Hey everyone, I started www.lifelongdiscgolf.com a couple of months ago and I just posted an article that I think will be useful, especially for newer players. I included videos to help describe proper form, and I was wondering what the response from more experienced players would be as well?

If you care to check it out and let me know what you think, the link is http://lifelongdiscgolf.com/the-5-easiest-ways-to-develop-distance-on-disc-golf-throws/.

I'd also appreciate critiques of the site as well, either in comments there or responses here. Thanks! :)

Your video

I looked over your video and thought you did a nice job explaining the steps. I sent it to a buddy of nine who is a novice and think it will help him. Thanks for taking the time to make it and I look forward to your next video.

JR Stengele

You've got a nice looking blog going there. I added your feed to my Google reader and I plan on checking out the videos after work. Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback!

Also, I realize I am airbouncing my drives just a tad in the video, I was trying to show how to throw flat, controlled drives to start out with to develop distance, rather than throwing full distance right away.

Thanks for the feedback!

Also, I realize I am airbouncing my drives just a tad in the video, I was trying to show how to throw flat, controlled drives to start out with to develop distance, rather than throwing full distance right away.
I'm not sure throwin flat is necessarily the best way to go. Hyzers and hyzer flips are generally the most predictable and many times the longest tyeps of throws.

Nice site....you should add a link to this site so that people can expand their horizons more....

i can't even begin to tell you how helpful that was for me. my drives used to max out at maybe 315 or so. after reading your website, i went to a field at a local park and tried a few different things that i saw you do while throwing. granted my measurements probably aren't accurate, but one of my throws took 124 steps for me to reach my disc (roughly 376 feet??). and that was a throw that i accidentally put too much snap on it so that it ended up flying anhyzer! it would have went farther!

i could actually hear the snap of the disc as it left my hand. i don't believe i've ever heard one of my throws make that sound.

bottom line is that my drives were going an extra fifty feet farther then they've ever gone.

one thing i noticed was that you were releasing the disc on a plane closer to your shoulders. i used to release mine on a plane around the height of my waist/hips.

also, i slowed down my footwork. whenever i used to do my x-step, i would go way too fast, unbeknownst to me obviously for a very long time. this was ruining my timing.

i also knew that your arm should be straight and the farther behind you one reaches, the more velocity you will have on your throw but i could never do that. i'm assuming that's because my release point was low and my timing was off.

anyways, thanks a ton for that. if i hadn't watched that and noticed what i did, i'd probably still barely be hitting 300. now i just want to go throw/play again and work on developing more usable power but unfortunately i have to wait until wednesday!

The "lawnmower" technique really helped me improve quickly on the distance of my drives, but I prefer to think of it as starting up a motorboat engine.

Read it and watched the vids w/o sound :) . Usually do the straight arm thing. One guy was telling me about "The Pull". Here it is. Will work on The Pull and 10 feet and see if it makes a difference. Usually grip the thumb further out in the power grip, will try to bring it closer to the edge. Til then.

The "lawnmower" technique really helped me improve quickly on the distance of my drives, but I prefer to think of it as starting up a motorboat engine.

LOL, that is just funny! I love the thought though, it is more of an upright motion that way. Just think someday lawnmowers will be electric or they will geneitcally design stunted grass and no one will ever know what we are talking about. :D

Some nice articles on the site, videos were good too. I am wondering if maybe some closer camera shots and maybe even slo-mo might help people analyze the throwing technique. Sometimes everything just goes by so fast on disc golf videos. Good stuff regardless though.

That video has very clear explanation and good visual. I am in my second season of playing and this will be the second major change to my "wind up". Doing it in my living room I can already tell there will be a big positive difference in my throw. Nice site as well.

Dave Dunipace Distance Secrets

Here's an article (that I edited) on DG Review with Distance Secrets from Dave Dunipace. Dave has a long DG resume- former distance record holder, Innova guru who designs the new Innova discs...

Distance Secrets

great post! I'm anxious to get out and apply the tips. I am a forehand thrower for the most part because it is more comfortable (probably because of baseball) but I am trying to improve my backhand game. I like the lawnmower analogy.

Ken Climo will tell you to learn first how to throw flat. Then everything else will come from that.
And I disagree. It may have worked out for the most talented disc golfer ever, but things don't just happen for most of us.

Watch some DG videos and pictures and see how many times you see pros throw flat. It's easy to see on their follow throughs because their throwing shoulder is higher than their off shoulder for most all shots. Those are all hyzers.

It's very difficult to throw flat. You almost always get either a hyzer or anhyzer. The diference betewen 1 degree of hyzer and 1 degree of anhyzer is much larger than the difference between 15 degrees of hyzer and 13 degrees of hyzer when it comes to how the disc flies. It's also very difficult to throw high and nose down when throwing flat. That is much easier to accomplish when you're throwing on a hyzer or anhyzer and throwing high is necessary when throwing far.

And I disagree. It may have worked out for the most talented disc golfer ever, but things don't just happen for most of us.

Watch some DG videos and pictures and see how many times you see pros throw flat. It's easy to see on their follow throughs because their throwing shoulder is higher than their off shoulder for most all shots. Those are all hyzers.

It's very difficult to throw flat. You almost always get either a hyzer or anhyzer. The diference betewen 1 degree of hyzer and 1 degree of anhyzer is much larger than the difference between 15 degrees of hyzer and 13 degrees of hyzer when it comes to how the disc flies. It's also very difficult to throw high and nose down when throwing flat. That is much easier to accomplish when you're throwing on a hyzer or anhyzer and throwing high is necessary when throwing far.

If it is difficult for you to throw a putter or roc flat without putting it on angle then you should work on that part of your game. I can do it fairly easy and so can most players I've seen. Sure most of the time you will use some type of angle on release but when you understand stability (remember this is advice for new players who still need to learn when a disc will turn at what speed etc.) then you can better understand a larger spectrum of overall shots,stability,angle of release,speed, and what shots are possible. His advice helped me and sorry but I will take his advice over yours;)

His advice helped me and sorry but I will take his advice over yours;)
If it's all about the name drop, then I got my advice from Blake at disc golf review. He got his advice from guys like Dave Dunipace and Dave McCormack among others. I'd guess those two know a thing or two about mentoring up and coming players. ;)

I'm also sticking with the notion that very few throws that are intended to be flat are actually flat. Logic dictates that throwing with the angle parallel to the ground is much more difficult than throwing every other single angle. You'd need either high speed video or a really lucky photographer to prove that you're actually throwing flat.

I've always thrown with a bit of a hyzer and I quickly surpassed all my friends who strived to throw all their shots flat. The added ease of getting the nose down and the advantage you get from having a larger window of angles where your shot will go where you want are both huge.