• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Florida

HammondFlash

Moving to Florida from Michigan in January. Been discin for ten years now...any suggestions for great courses?... Headed to the Lakeland/Orlando area, but I'll drive anywhere to play golf!

Medard is a pretty tough course in Plant City, and there are other great courses within an hour drive of Lakeland. You'll be fine!

:)

Ive heard Turkey Creek or something like that is nice....I'm on the other side of the state so I can't say with first hand experience or anything.

River City Nature Park isn't too far from Orlando... had a good time there. :thmbup:

I haven't played any of the courses closer to Orlando yet.

Last edited:
And you got Cliff Stevens....depending on what majors are going on at the time that you are there, McBeast might be home from the tour and out playing there.

Last edited:
I have recently played both of the Turkey Lake courses, and they are very nice. On the Tampa side of Lakeland, Medard is indeed very nice. As you get out and explore, you will find that Florida has some really nice courses. No 5 stars or Hudson Mills down here, but some good golf none the less.

assuming your in lakeland center. its not a great spot for a lot of courses being close. coming from michigan, you will be surprised at how spread out the course is.

40 minutes to medard in plant city. its very good and will probably be your bread and butter
50 minutes to turkey lake. 2 courses there. one great and one good. $2 to enter the park. you'll probably go quite abit

an hour or so to barnett. there are 2 courses there, one solid and the other meh. you will probably go at least once. its just isnt justified going further than turkey lake for a significantly worse play

an hour twenty to debary. good course but im not sure how often you will want to travel that far

50 mins to ridge manor. ive never been

an hour to the quarry. skip it

an hour to cliff stephens. its good and coachman is a mile down the road which is also decent. best part about heading to tampa for the day is there are about 12 courses (although some distance between them) so you can play at least one good course and at least one that will be new to you several times.

Hit the main 4 Orlando courses mentioned above and then hit the Clearwater courses. While over there don't miss Tocobaga/Maximo.

In Michigan I drive an hour to work every day for one job and two and a half for another. So a drive to a course is no biggie. Thanks for the suggestions! I can't wait!

South East Florida is also worth a weekend trip. We have opened 2 new and great course in the past year. There are 10 18 hole courses worth playing down here now about 5 of the 10 are really quite good. We are only about 3 hours from Lakeland.

Orlando has a couple good courses. I'll name the Best in order from my personal view.

Debary (river city nature park I think), has so many basket placements you may never play the same course. Variety of shots, pretty long course on beautiful plot of land. You may even see eagles while your out. And disc golfers are generally the only people there.

Turkey lake park. Has two courses, some elevation, plenty of water holes, and a lot of challenging shots on the "turkeynator"

Barnett park also has two courses. Always a full park full of non disc golfers who don't care for us too much. Never had a problem, just some people always obliviously in the way. Typical Florida course, flat, some water, fairly open and long with a lot of cabbage palm.

Airport lakes - short course I use as a warm up as I drive by it on the way to Orlando lol. Two pads one basket on each holes makes it for a double layout 18.

Other than that Orlando is a good hub to bounce to the east or west coast. Clearwater area has a lot of good courses in close proximity with a lot of really good players thick with competition.

What they said. Turkey Lake has the virtue of having two courses, each with 9-hole loops, so you can mix-and-match the loops as suits you on a given day. Play it all, play 27, play an easier 9 and harder 9, whatever.

In January, there's a temp course in Brooksville, FL that's not to be missed. It's set up for 2 weekend tournaments; if you're not a tournament player, head over on a practice day, fork over some money, and play. There's nothing like it.

In January, there's a temp course in Brooksville, FL that's not to be missed. It's set up for 2 weekend tournaments; if you're not a tournament player, head over on a practice day, fork over some money, and play. There's nothing like it.

:thmbup:

Also, the new Ken Climo course by Tampa Airport is going to be done within a month or so. I hear that it is a beast, with a lot of distance.

Also, the new Ken Climo course by Tampa Airport is going to be done within a month or so. I hear that it is a beast, with a lot of distance.

What?! Super psyched about this news! I'll definitely be playing it next time I am down.

Cypress Point

They are having a work day on 3/26/14 to carve out some fairways. Tees and/or baskets will be getting put in on the same day. According to what I've heard, the course should be playable by the first week in April, providing that rain doesn't interfere. I'll take a Par 66 with an alleged 1000' hole 10 minutes from my house!

Orlando has a couple good courses. I'll name the Best in order from my personal view.

Debary (river city nature park I think), has so many basket placements you may never play the same course. Variety of shots, pretty long course on beautiful plot of land. You may even see eagles while your out. And disc golfers are generally the only people there.

I agree with most everything skinny arms said, and am in no way contesting his/her opinion. Debary is my local course and the one I play the most. It certainly has a more natural feel to it than Barnett since river city nature park does not offer all the additional amenities that attract non-disc golfers like Barnett or Turkey Lake. However, it should be noted that those parks do offer two full 18 hole courses, and they have restrooms. Debary currently does not. But it is a great course that is improving all the time thanks to the dedicated locals.

If you do happen to head out towards Debary, Tuscawilla park in Daytona Beach is a great course too. It is pretty far from Lakeland, but I am sure you can find an excuse to head out there at least once.

I love going west towards the Tampa/Clearwater area, as others have said, the courses there are really great. Cliff is fantastic but I think Taylor Park in the Largo area is my favorite. It is super well maintained, offers good variety, and has a good mix of shots, distance, technicality, etc. I am no where close to pro level skill wise, but it is my favorite course if central fl.

Last edited:
I agree. Cliff/Coachman are fine courses, but I too prefer Taylor, and Medard. That new Tampa course should be interesting. Don't forget about Picnic Island either. Its only 9 holes, but they are a cool 9 holes.

I agree. Cliff/Coachman are fine courses, but I too prefer Taylor, and Medard. That new Tampa course should be interesting. Don't forget about Picnic Island either. Its only 9 holes, but they are a cool 9 holes.

I'm going to be in the Tampa area (Madeira Beach) for vacation in June and plan on playing all of these. I plan on playing 1 or 2 courses each day early in the morning while the wife and kids sleep late.

I think I'm going to be able to take the better part of one day to travel a little farther though. Which course combo would you choose: Turkey Lake/Turkeynator in Orlando or North water Tower Park/North Charlotte Regional to the south?

Or should I save the driving time and play 4 or 5 other Tampa Area courses?

Latest posts