• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Flying Armadillo Gold Mini Course opening soon in San Marcos, Texas

It was really fun to play this course for the Birdie Bash!

I hope to get back out once the full course is finished too. :thmbup:

Have you ever wanted to throw through a door or window at a basket inside a building? Me too! This is the 18th hole on the mini course, a.k.a. the Alamo Memorial hole. The building is a poor approximation of the real Alamo; it's missing key architectural details and is sheathed in recycled pallet wood instead of limestone. But it is fun to throw at the basket through the front door of the Alamo or throw through a window to try and rescue par. And after finishing the hole you can say you played disc golf inside the Alamo!

IMG_20150417_194117_zpsgxmmrjwb.jpg

IMG_20150417_194427_zpsbmsfkiom.jpg

I am SOO excited to come play flying armadillo!! so the mini course is done, and y'all are workign on the big course now, right?

I am SOO excited to come play flying armadillo!! so the mini course is done, and y'all are workign on the big course now, right?

Yep, the mini course is done for now, except for finishing up the pond on #17. We'll come back later to add some more benches and pour the tee pads. For now, we're working on getting the front nine playable on the big course, with six done so far. I hope you can make it out to see us!

We're still waiting on insurance before we can open the course and add it to DGCR, so in the meantime here's another hole. This is hole #13 on the mini course which turned out to be the last hole that we designed. We were trying to decide which type of gimmick would be the most fun to include around the basket. Maybe a screen to filter discs thrown right at the target, or perhaps a slide for rollers and skip shots, or maybe even a car hood or two for ricochet shots.

In the end we decided to go all in with the gimmicks and include all three types: A screen to filter out some of the shots thrown right at the basket, a slide for going around the screen from the left, and four car hoods for potential ricochet aces. Cedar poles were planted around the basket and act as a framework for these and any other obstructions we might decide to hang on it at a later date.

This is the most gimicky hole I think I've ever seen, so we decided to call it the Ultimate Gimmick Hole. Those of you who don't like gimmick holes may appreciate its acronym - UGH! So far the hole has been aced through the screen and off the top car hood, with near misses on the other obstructions. It's a fun hole to throw and tougher than it looks!

Played the Par 2 course last month and it was a BLAST! The only think I wish I'd done different was plan more time. I'll stand by everything in my previous posts. There's a lot of love and dedication going into this course, not to mention a bunch of hard work. I can tell you guys are busting your ass to make Flying Armadillo something awesomely unique. Its working.

Hospitality was awesome as well! A huge thanks to the Lamberts, can't wait to get back.

Played the Par 2 course last month and it was a BLAST! The only think I wish I'd done different was plan more time. I'll stand by everything in my previous posts. There's a lot of love and dedication going into this course, not to mention a bunch of hard work. I can tell you guys are busting your ass to make Flying Armadillo something awesomely unique. Its working.

Hospitality was awesome as well! A huge thanks to the Lamberts, can't wait to get back.

Thanks for the kind words! One of our goals was indeed to make something unique. I can see that you've played tons of courses across the country, so if you think it's unique then perhaps we succeeded. Of course our main goal for the mini course was to make it FUN, and from the feeback we've gotten so far, everyone from kids to adults and newbies to experienced players seem to like what we've done so far. Thanks for the feedback, sir!

Latest posts