• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Flying Squirrel

I thought it was your fiance who throws the Squirrel, and that you said it "doesn't fit well in my bag." How does that equate to tons of throws with the Squirrel?

BTW, I came up on a group of 6 on the teepad of a 420 ft hole today. When I asked how many of them were going to throw a Leopard, I got looks of bewilderment. I had to tell them it was a joke.

I know it doesn't fit in my bag because I spent a few weeks with a couple in my bag when my fiancee first got them. I decided I wasn't going to keep them in my bag, she kept them in hers. I probably threw a few hundred shots with them, and compared them side by side with rocs and comets on almost every one of those. That enough throws for you? :rolleyes:

I know it doesn't fit in my bag because I spent a few weeks with a couple in my bag when my fiancee first got them. I decided I wasn't going to keep them in my bag, she kept them in hers. I probably threw a few hundred shots with them, and compared them side by side with rocs and comets on almost every one of those. That enough throws for you? :rolleyes:

Gee, I guess.

So what exactly was your point in all this? Keep in mind that I never said Squirrels flew like Comets, just that the physical appearance was very similar...as in old school mid.

Thanks BroD. I see you are a Fuse man. How do the two compare? I always found the Fuse to be, ironically enough, a bit squirrelly...

Sorry, I had to.
Actually for a lot of the reasons that Wanderer below stated. I had the champ style Squirrel and compared to my heavy Opto Fuses of choice it flew kind of squirrely. Felt kind of like a Comet with no bead. It seemed faster and longer than my Fuses but not necessarily glidier. It was trickier getting the Squirrel to hook up, sometimes it would fade at the end, sometimes go straight, a lot of times track right. Probably nothing that couldn't be ironed out with practice with it.
What plastic Fuse were you throwing that was "squirrelly"? Heavier Opto's are very stable/neutral and much less affected by the wind than GL's.

The Flying Squirrel is very similar to a Comet...an old style mid with more of a rounded and sloping wing, and a narrow deep rim. I was throwing them a lot for a while, but ultimately I couldn't get used to the rim. Squirrels have a little fade to them where the Fuse will be dead straight. Squirrels also have a ton of glide, more than the Fuse. And they are longer than the Fuse because of it.

Actually for a lot of the reasons that Wanderer below stated. I had the champ style Squirrel and compared to my heavy Opto Fuses of choice it flew kind of squirrely. Felt kind of like a Comet with no bead. It seemed faster and longer than my Fuses but not necessarily glidier. It was trickier getting the Squirrel to hook up, sometimes it would fade at the end, sometimes go straight, a lot of times track right. Probably nothing that couldn't be ironed out with practice with it.

I found some of the same things in terms of predictability when throwing the squirrel on 300-350' shots, especially with some wear on the disc. I think power level has something to do with it. Ashleigh throws her mids 240' on average and 275' max and at that power level they seem to be really consistent for her.

Last edited:

Good points. Agree that Squirrels can be touchy when it comes to holding lines. I was throwing 155g Squirrels and they had a lot of glide, they just seemed to hang in the air. Needless to say, I was actually using them strictly for approach, not driving with them at that weight.

I found some of the same things when throwing the squirrel on 300-350' shots, especially with some wear on the disc. I think power level has something to do with it. Ashleigh throws her mids 240' on average and 275' max and at that power level they seem to be really consistent for her.

:rolleyes:

Did you have an actual response to what I wrote?

Yes, I can't believe you wrote it. Did you fail to see where he compared the Squirrel's appearance and feel to a Comet? That he said it's flight was tricky?

Time to give it up, you're tripping all over yourself...kinda like the other night.

Oh, and jump my posts at your own risk.

I still don't think it flies anything like a comet, he said a comet without a bead, and the flight is where I disagreed with your comet comparison. I know what a comet is going to do at the end of it's flight because the bead makes it more reliable, and like I said above that's the one place the squirrel didn't quite hold up under more power for me. Also, please refrain from personal attacks and threats, let's keep this on topic.

I found some of the same things in terms of predictability when throwing the squirrel on 300-350' shots, especially with some wear on the disc. I think power level has something to do with it. Ashleigh throws her mids 240' on average and 275' max and at that power level they seem to be really consistent for her.

I think mine might have had flashing on it as well, I can't remember because I let my buddy have it awhile back.

Hmm, I didn't pay enough attention to the flashing, I rarely notice that on any of my discs. I'll have to go take a look at the ones Ashleigh's been throwing for a while and the ones that haven't seen as much use.

I think mine might have had flashing on it as well, I can't remember because I let my buddy have it awhile back.

Here's a guy who knows his Flying Squirrels!

Mine had flashing on the bottom of the rim and the bottom was very sharp in addition to that. It's one of the things I didn't like about the rim on the Flying Squirrel.

WTF is going on here? I can't even tell what you are arguing about, other than you don't want to agree with each other.

Flying Squirrel: As close to a Champ-ish plastic Ontario Roc as you are going to get.

I like how mashnut is civil and actually responding. The other guy is just BSing.

Wandering if you will. ;)

I have found an average amount of flashing on mine but nothing excessive.

I never understood the complaints about the rim. I think it's a little odd, but it's never bothered my throw. In spite of people saying it's closest to a Wasp, I actually think DD's new Fugitive feels very much like a beaded Squirrel. No one has complained about its rim.

Flying Squirrel: As close to a Champ-ish plastic Ontario Roc as you are going to get.
That's pretty good.

Compared to a GL Fuse, idk, my GL Fuse isn't as understable as others, it's just really straight. The glide is probably more comparable. Squirrel is still probably a little faster, better at lower lines if you get it up to speed. I remember thinking that the Fuse was better in the wind though.

Latest posts