• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Flying Squirrel

Wandering if you will. ;)

I have found an average amount of flashing on mine but nothing excessive.

I never understood the complaints about the rim. I think it's a little odd, but it's never bothered my throw. In spite of people saying it's closest to a Wasp, I actually think DD's new Fugitive feels very much like a beaded Squirrel. No one has complained about its rim.

You don't understand complaints about the rim, but you think the rim is odd? Interesting...

Not just me, others I know that use the Squirrel have a problem with the rim to one extent or another. Compared to other midrange discs that have more smooth and rounded rim bottoms, it's very sharp, almost like they didn't finish it off properly on the bottom inside edge...more than just a flashing issue.

The reason I evetually dropped the Squirrel is because due to the rim I was having oocasional release issues, where it would hang up on my fingers. Other than that, a nice disc that really flies well.

Last edited:
I love my gold plastic flying squirrel! Absolutely love that it will hold any line I release it on. I'm thinking about ordering another one but I have two questions.

1. Where the heck do I find a 150 class squirrel? I have looked everywhere and I have yet to come across one.

2. What is the difference between the gold and platinum plastic? I've searched the threads and went to ABC's website and found nothing. Any help is appreciated.

I love my gold plastic flying squirrel! Absolutely love that it will hold any line I release it on. I'm thinking about ordering another one but I have two questions.

1. Where the heck do I find a 150 class squirrel? I have looked everywhere and I have yet to come across one.

2. What is the difference between the gold and platinum plastic? I've searched the threads and went to ABC's website and found nothing. Any help is appreciated.

Clearwater Disc Golf Store has 150 class Flying Squirrels...last I checked.

Gold is Champion, Platinum is like ESP

I've never thrown ESP. Here's the plastics I'm familiar with; all innova, all lat, westside tourney, and gateway sss.

I happen to think ESP is more like Innova Pro, but it varies like most plastics.

photo3_zps76af7cef.jpg

That's a DD fuzion Fugitive on left with a 1st run Plat Squirrel on the right. Look and feel almost identical to me. You can kinda see the sharper bottom edge on the squirrel that Wanderer was talking about, and that there isn't much of a bead to the fugitive. Pretty much fly the same for me, though. Squirrel has a bit more glide, fugitive is a bit more of a shapeable, albeit less beat, disc.

Both are sweet, fwiw.

Almost a year long bump. I'm bumping this thread because I just read through it and got almost nothing out of it. But the question I had was similar to the op. I am curious to hear how it compares with a meteor. For me and my throw it will track right, but unless I manipulate the release angle it will have a bit of fade at the end. I have a max weight 9/10 Gold Flying Squirrel.

So question is how does the flight compare to a meteor's flight, and how does it like to be thrown? Point and shoot like buzzz (meteor?) or high and fly like comet/roc?

coldsweat,
It's been quite a while since I lost my Squirrel, but if I remember correctly it flew a lot like my Z Comet except a bit faster. I don't remember much fade unless I threw it too high.

As far as your last paragraph comparison, I'd put it half way between the Buzzz (Meteor) and the Comet as far as how high to make it fly.

Clearwater Disc Golf Store has 150 class Flying Squirrels...last I checked.

Gold is Champion, Platinum is like ESP

Beware of the Gold, I got one with such a slick surface that I had to spray it with Plasti-dip to prevent it from slipping out of my hand, at least/hopefully until it gets some wear on it.

Squirrely but, at least living up to its name.

I just pulled my Squirrel out of storage and really gave it it's first good test in the field. Holy cow, this is the mid I was missing. Nothing that MVP makes is like this disc. Not even close. It's delightfully flippy and glidey. I'm going to bag it right away. As a Christian, I have no problem supporting a Christian disc maker.

BUT, do any of you guys have problems with the stamp on this thing? It stained my Inertia in the bag tonight. And also when I got the disc out of the storage box, it had a weird film all over it, like the stamp is turning into powdery junk or something. It's hard to explain, but I need to buy some acetone and get rid of that stamp. It's a green Gold disc with a reddish foil-like stamp.

mvp is not even close to a lot of companies, imo.
every disc is like, overstable, even their tangent lol.

All mine are Gold plastic and are red with yellow stamp. No issues with them whatsoever.

And congrats on taking a night off the Kool-Aid and trying something new. After two years carrying the Squirrel, the Salient Antidote is giving it a run for its money for that spot in the bag with the Crosslap Lucky getting a trial this weekend. It'll be a sad day if I pull the Squirrel as it has served me well.

The Squirrel is not new....it was just put away for well over a year. I actually have you to thank for plugging it so much on here. I should have had it in my bag this whole time.

And that stamp thing is weird, but I'm just going to wipe it.

We need to get BigSky a Pure, Tbird.

I've only fondled a Pure, and have admit it felt pretty nice. But I have no use for it. My Ions are all I need. And if not, there are always Anodes, or my stack of sweet Magics that sit unthrown.

You are losing money not having one. Mine does nothing but win me CTPs. ALL THE CTPS!

It would fit in the same slot as the Anode. I wouldn't try to change that since you're already throwing Ions, and their cores are so similar. It is far and away the nicest of the neutral flying putters I've thrown though so if you're interested, let me know.

Latest posts