• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Foot Fault 2019

Yeah but that should not count, the rules state that a player who is over the line when releasing disc within 10 meters is at fault also The disc came to rest when I was on really moving. They called it from a different card before disc ever came to rest at a PDGA tournament back in 2008. I do not need it much anymore, I use more a back foot push off but front foot still on the ground, that is not illegal.

Have you ever actually read the rules or do you just make them up as you go?

You must be in contact with the lie at release, so if you're in the air when you release the disc, it's an illegal throw. Doesn't matter where you land or where the disc is. Whether it is in flight or at rest is irrelevant to the legality of your shot.

Good to know you don't need that throwing style "much" anymore. You should eliminate it entirely from your repertoire if you want to be legal.

Hell its not only run ups, you can't stand and follow through.

So then any body part is over the lie and not just the feet is illeagal? then You have to do what I saw in a Disney Made for TV movie that kids from the mid 2000's. The Kid who formed a School Disc Golf Team in Michigan had to stand with a bumper bar in front of them toughing the body and keep throwing discs at the basket counting each one as a single stroke until you made it in the basket. :D

Last edited:
Have you ever actually read the rules or do you just make them up as you go?

You must be in contact with the lie at release, so if you're in the air when you release the disc, it's an illegal throw. Doesn't matter where you land or where the disc is. Whether it is in flight or at rest is irrelevant to the legality of your shot.

Good to know you don't need that throwing style "much" anymore. You should eliminate it entirely from your repertoire if you want to be legal.

Yeah I only really use it now for really long putter over 33 feet to 40 feet and then longer approach putts.

Hell its not only run ups, you can't stand and follow through.

which is the real issue with desire for S&D. Can't limit 45' putts without removing the ability to follow-through on fairway throws, or get out of trouble off balance throws as well. I could care less about getting rid of the run up off the tee. It even makes some sense to me... BUT, that would mean you have to be in contact with the lie, so lifting your plant foot off the ground during the backswing even a bit would be a no go... which is bad, and making a follow through a fault, also bad. See previous posts about injury. Maybe not every time but increases risk a bunch especially on any shot with odd footing.

S&D sounds fine but the reality is it would create more issues than it is trying to solve.

See previous posts about injury.

You are WRONG. Mike C did s&d in a video i saw. You are saying people will die from not following through? What a rediculous comment you made about possible injury. So overblown.

Sarcasm........

I feel like ppl that want s&d are either 1: terrible jump putters 2: cant throw far(past 350) 3: older ppl longing for the good ole days of disc golf

Yeah but that should not count, the rules state that a player who is over the line when releasing disc within 10 meters is at fault also The disc came to rest when I was on really moving. They called it from a different card before disc ever came to rest at a PDGA tournament back in 2008. I do not need it much anymore, I use more a back foot push off but front foot still on the ground, that is not illegal.

Oh no.... Facepalm. I can barely understand what your saying but you should be stroked for foot faults on you "jump-then-putts"

The good ole days of disc golf, when people cared about the rules and were strong enough to throw a disc 100 feet without using all the muscles in their body.
You young whipper snappin' jump putters are weak. :popcorn:

The good ole days of disc golf, when people cared about the rules and were strong enough to throw a disc 100 feet without using all the muscles in their body.

I can push 400ft with s&d. Doesnt meen thats good for the game.

Lets talk about the size of the baskets.....smaller is what we need....am i right? ;)

Yeah I do not need it now. I have grown to my full 5 foot 2 inch, 107-110 pound body. I do use a slight OS slow 4 speed putter shaped midrange to get the disc to the basket in longer approach shots from over 40 feet where I use often use a standstill though that depends on wind driving or putter stance/arm style depending on wind. Yes that disc mold has been around since 1988 or 1986 so even some of the older players would have used it.

I do not jump putt much anymore and 90% is a behind the lie for putter shots 33 feet or longer but under the distance 40 feet where at about 40 feet I bring out my approach disc a slow putter shaped midrange.

Lets talk about the size of the baskets.....smaller is what we need....am i right? ;)

Nope! :D

The other thing that would help More is... Less chains! I started play in mid 2003 when Mach V or the Innova Discatcher basket was the top of the line and baskets like the Mach X were not made so players would not have a basket that even the very edges of the basket would suck in putts. With the old baskets the putts got missed on edges, the putts would cut through on driving putts, and putts would be able to bounce off the center pole.

I still like the taller bottom disc catcher part at the bottom, the Innova baskets and the Lighting D-B5 baskets are the ones that have had the large bottom disc catcher parts since the begging.

Last edited:

Baskets could stay the same size but maybe bring the top of the chains in towards the center about 1-2 inches.

Not sure if others have this observation but it seems that the general drift of the game's rules and their interpretation has been to make the game easier (less demanding), not harder (more demanding). While I'm certain some will say that's to eliminate 'arbitrary randomness' and the like, it seems that any adjustment will never be really 'popular' unless it follows this trend, no matter how much potential play value the new change may offer.

I've put a comprehensive list of reasons why S&D is not needed:

There are already rules in place to cover what happens if you foot fault.

Foot faults aren't the only reason for S&D.

Also, there are at least two types of S&D. Type 1 is "no run-up". Type 2 is "no run-up and no follow-through". I dont' know if I've seen is suggested, but there could even be a Type 3 of "run-up allowed but no follow-through" which is essentially the current rule inside 10m.

Deliver and stay is the 4th. Your supporting point must remain in contact with the lie until balance is demonstrated. Allows run-ups, and follow-through (limited)

Why do so many people want to change the rules instead of learning to play within them ?

The reduced distance of the throw may be just a side effect. The problem being addressed is that step putt and jump putt violations are difficult to see in real time.

If you're enforcing the rule just to enforce the rule, yes. However, if you're enforcing the rule because someone is trying to take unfair advantage, I would mostly disagree. IMO, until you replant in front of your lie, you're not really taking much advantage. That takes another long moment after you've clearly broken the rule.

The really tricky ones I've noticed more aren't dealt with by s/d. A lot of times, you have a bad lie, but good footing behind it. On those throws, you lightly place your foot on your lie, but throw completely off the back foot. Many times, the front foot comes up at some point and joins the back foot. It's equally difficult in this instance to tell if the foot was still down at release. Some times I've seen this happen stretching out around a tree; both feet end up a couple feet to the side of the tree, but it's not obvious when the foot left the lie.