• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] For open upshots, which disc and line do you choose to throw?

The thread does say "upshot', which usually implies a shorter approach and use of a putter. You can lay up a putter on a straight throw just as easily as on a hyzer, AND you don't have getting the angle right to deal with.

I probably use a hyzer in that situation maybe 1/3 of the time, and only if I have a legit reason for coming in R-L. There's an equally reliable shot that gets the same result, and that's using an overstable disc on a nice smooth flat release and letting it fade into the target/basket.

And for shorter runs at the basket your odds are better going straight at it than hyzering it in. A hyzer puts the brakes on your shot, and that's probably the main appeal there. But throwing a slow disc like a putter makes that a non-issue.

I think he is saying if you play wooded courses a lot, which I do, being good at a hyzer isn't gonna do you any favors. Always good to try and practice all options. A hyzer is accurate and effective, but a straight to fade shot will work anywhere.

Exactly...

its appealing but much more inconsistent really given different variables. I don't even have to think about throwing a short hyzer or longer spike hyzer at the basket. No chance really to fly by and doesn't matter the ground, condition etc that shot is always the most consistent. Headwinds, small green, power control the list goes on and on and on. Its why you see top level pros throw a hyzer shot 99% of the time its possible.

IDK about this.

Your beloved Vector...instead of a hyzer, why not throw it flat aiming a little right of the target and let it fade in? I do it with my Wasp all the time, and the Servo from farther out, and talk about reliable!

When I throw hyzers on approach I'm typically not using an OS disc, but using a stable disc on a sweeping hyzer line. Otherwise the result can be too far left of the target more often than not. You've got a significant angle to deal with, not to mention any R-L crosswind playing havoc with a big hyzer approach.

No wind one of my Mercys. Either straight at it or sweeping hyzer.

If there is wind, and its not right for the mercy I throw a BT Med Harp.

I approach mostly FH with either disc up to 175' before I start getting more comfortable BH in an open field.

RE hyzer vs straight to fade when both are open. Straight to fade may fade early or late. Hyzer you pick height and angle and if you hit your line, you should be on target. Straight to fade is more often the right line due to obstacles though.

Both are very important shots to be comfortable with.

I agree with this part.

When I throw hyzers on approach I'm typically not using an OS disc, but using a stable disc on a sweeping hyzer line.

RE hyzer vs straight to fade when both are open. Straight to fade may fade early or late. Hyzer you pick height and angle and if you hit your line, you should be on target. Straight to fade is more often the right line due to obstacles though.

Both are very important shots to be comfortable with.

I agree with this part.

Not if you're using the right disc(stability)...you can count on the consistent fade. Into a headwind is another story though.

That is the tricky part, hitting the right line...every time. Then you also have the big hyzer skip left to worry about. On approach, the slower the disc, the easier the hyzer line and the better the placement, IME.

I'm better at just throwing a straight wizard shot, than trying to hyzer it in there and avoid skipping past the basket. I might even put a touch of *gasp* anhyzer on a wizard inside 100.

forehand roller with something reliable like a groove...

^This all day long.

Unless it's windy from R to L, then my R Pro Cro on a slight hyzer.
If it's windy L to R, then a DX Cobra straight at it.
If it's calm, then my Z Comet straight.
Headwind? Champ Eagle on a hyzer.
Tailwind? Trak straight and low.

Putter on a hyzer.

Also, I use this shot in the woods for the vast majority of my approaches. Not all hyzer lines require the room as a spike and it's the rare hike I've played that didn't have a hyzer line available from 150' in.

I have been using practicing and using this technique for the last few weeks and it works like a charm...

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzGm8L7O4qM

I'll be the oddball...

My most consistent up/approach shot is a thumber with an 11x Whippet.

Now if I want to semi run at it, ill go with the putter or mid mild hyzer shot. But if it truly is an upshot and I just want to be parked for a drop in, its Whippet Thumber all day long!

That's what I was talking about. :hfive:

Yea that's basically how I throw everything from about 40' to 150'. Notice almost every shot had a slight anny. Much softer landing, no roll-away. In a headwind I just use a scale instead of a wizard, and throw the same way.

Yea that's basically how I throw everything from about 40' to 150'. Notice almost every shot had a slight anny. Much softer landing, no roll-away. In a headwind I just use a scale instead of a wizard, and throw the same way.

Yeah, they just drop straight down with a thud. No skip. No edge roll.

i use my pa4 for A LOT of straight shorter upshots

For me it's either a gentle hyzer with a Suspect or Roc depending on distance and wind.

Depends on the wind and distance.
-No wind (or R to L wind) and <250' I'm throwing a Judge straight RHBH.
-Windy (any wind besides R to L) and <250' I'm throwing a TP Harp RHBH on a hyzer line.
-Anything 250-300' I'm throwing some variation of a Mace RHBH straight or hyzer.

One thing I always try to keep in mind when approaching wide open and RHBH is that I want my disc to finish slightly to the right of the basket.

I have been using practicing and using this technique for the last few weeks and it works like a charm...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzGm8L7O4qM

did you notice on the 1:55 minute mark he jokingly tries to do a "bad shot" uses hyzer and it actually is the closest shot to the pin?

the way he teaches is an awesome method of using "checkmarks" to put an upshot in the circle from 100ft upshots. I did notice that it works a lot better using a more over stable putter (like a P2 or a KC Pro aviar/wizard/beaded/ect).

I putt for most short upshots up until about 100 feet or so. For short wide open upshots that I don't putt at I use a pretty understable putter like a d magnet or d challenger, fan grip, throw it flat or a little anhyzer just a touch higher than the basket with a very short reach back low power stroke, no run up, but with the right amount of speed which is a pretty fast release. It flies straight, doesn't turn much, doesn't fade much, and I can run it quite well if I choose. For a longer upshot or in certain windy conditions I will use an overstable challenger, buzzz, wasp or really glideless overstable driver like the predator and throw a hyzer or flat release that just hyzers the entire flight.