• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] For open upshots, which disc and line do you choose to throw?

If I've got some long grass or a backstop, KC Aviar/Champ Roc/Firebird on a hyzer. If it needs to hit and stick I'm going straight at it with a P1x/beat McPro Roc3/Patriot and aiming for a spot in front of the basket.

I never hyzer these types of open shots, but usually have great results. There's something about the straight flight of a disc that's more appealing.

Yeh, hyzer only if the shot calls for it. No need to be hyzering everything in, a fade shot can be more effective if trying to work it in towards basket, or concerned about getting range correct.

Unless it's some situational / get out of trouble shot... I'm using the Harp on every shot within 265'. I have my beat BT Hard Harp for straight, anny, and smooth hyzer shots...my BT Medium for more stable, hit and stick, hyzer shots...and a VIP for big OS hyzer lines or FH S shots. Haven't second guessed a shot within this range since bagging my Harps.

Now of only I can get my ddistance drivers under control. Lol

I never hyzer these types of open shots, but usually have great results. There's something about the straight flight of a disc that's more appealing.

its appealing but much more inconsistent really given different variables. I don't even have to think about throwing a short hyzer or longer spike hyzer at the basket. No chance really to fly by and doesn't matter the ground, condition etc that shot is always the most consistent. Headwinds, small green, power control the list goes on and on and on. Its why you see top level pros throw a hyzer shot 99% of the time its possible.

Last edited:
Either RHFH Star Firebird or RHBH Wizard, depending how I'm feeling that day, out to about 150'.

My go to is a hyzer with a wizard, it's a shot I'm really comfortable with and that confidence helps me throw without overthinking.

Slight hyzer an envy for anything less than 200ft. The only time I go straight at it on a wide open shot is if there's a really strong right to left wind. In that case I'll hyzerflip a midrange or a teebird.

I don't understand this hyzer love. I'd anny before doing that. In fact, that's what I do when just far enough to not be able to putt.

I don't understand this hyzer love. I'd anny before doing that. In fact, that's what I do when just far enough to not be able to putt.

As a beginner I used to hyzer all approach shots when possible, and it is effective, especially in ranging your throw. But try it on a wooded course, lol. If you have sound form and can control straight discs/throws, you don't need to hyzer everything and use that as a crutch...IMO.

All those understable mids, past and present...wonder what they're for?

Last edited:
I'm usually throwing a hyzer because of it's reliably. If it's truly open without obstacles I'm going with a VP, Buzz, or Firebird

250' and under it's a Rhyno on a hyzer 100% of the time. I have complete confidence when that disc is in my hand. It is extraordinarily slow and doesn't glide very much which is super useful on short drives and approaches.

I think he is saying if you play wooded courses a lot, which I do, being good at a hyzer isn't gonna do you any favors. Always good to try and practice all options. A hyzer is accurate and effective, but a straight to fade shot will work anywhere.

I think he is saying if you play wooded courses a lot, which I do, being good at a hyzer isn't gonna do you any favors. Always good to try and practice all options. A hyzer is accurate and effective, but a straight to fade shot will work anywhere.

So you're saying, a hyzer shot is accurate and effective, but don't use it on open shots, because you play some wooded courses other times?

#nocomprendo

thats true, but just as obvious though - needing to be able to shoot straight at a target with a under stable disc/non hyzer approach in the wooded courses.

I'm in the north east /new england area with wooded courses up the wahzooo.. i remember playing in a tournament with a course that has a wooded front nine and a wide open back 9, and I was confused as hell to what to do on the open part and stupidly started doing hyzerflips in the wind on the open holes and killing my score (i did really well on the difficult wooded holes too :doh: ).

I could've used the hyzer + hyzer + hyzer then putt strategy on those open par 4 and par 5 holes. lol

Your taking it the wrong way. I said to practice ALL options so you have the shot you need. You can't argue that being good at a straight to fade shot will work anywhere. It's the other way around. If you always are using a hyzer because you play on open courses you'll be screwed if you play a wooded one.

I play wooded courses 90% of the time, so a hyzer approach is more often than not unusable.

If its an open course that affords me the room, yes I use a hyzer