• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Legacy] For the love of LEGACY

Been just a over a week now, playing with an all-Legacy bag, so far pretty good, tied the year's best score at the most played course, new record at another. Granted, drivers have been Legacy for the most part anyways, but the Icon Patriot has really been a big hit. Thought/feared it would be more US than either one of mine are, I find myself pulling a Patriot out of the bag more and more, even more than my Rival.

The Patriot is quickly becoming one of my favorite discs to throw. I've got a stiff 175g Icon and a flatter 168g Pinnacle right now and they are the bomb. I can throw the Icon flat to get some turn and a reliable fade or on hyzer so that it flips to flat and just glides for days. The Pinnacle thrown flat will just turn right out past 300', flatten out and land softly at about 350'. When I need control and placement I find myself turning to the Patriot more and more.

In between a destroyer and boss based on PDGA measurements, i thought.

Yea, can't trust the Inbounds chart sometimes...they have the outlaw listed in the same category as the Wraith and Surge...while the destroyer is a notch faster in their opinion. But it's got me wondering how i'm going to convert my bag to more Legacy. I've got outlaws, rivals, patriots, ghosts, and gauges so far. Looks like the enemy will take over my Firebird slot.

Non-Legacy left in my bag are: Magnet/Judge/Rhino/XD for putters and driving putters. Then I've got thunderbirds, a beat wraith (turnover/hyzerflip/tailwind duties), and a roadrunner. My putter lineup looks goofy but putting putters are Magnet/Judge and others are approach/driving. Would love suggestions for what to replace those with...

The Clutch and Magnet are basically fraternal twins.

Thanks! What are thoughts about roadrunner=mongoose? Nemesis is shorter and might be the match, according to Inbounds, but alas I don't know if I should believe it. I'd be fine with a faster/longer roadrunner as i'm breaking in an excel patriot that should take the duties of a shorter anny disc.

I only use the clutch for putting.The switch to the clutch from the magnet was seamless.

I only use the clutch for putting.The switch to the clutch from the magnet was seamless.

How about driving putter? What is a Rhino replacement? Clozer for both? Or is Clozer more similar to a Challenger? If so, I may be interested still in getting a few of both. What plastic did you use for a magnet? And what plastic did you get the clutch in, or putt with?

The Clutch is closer to the Judge than the Challenger. Not nearly as overstable as I was expecting it to be.

My bad. Yes, I meant the Clozer. I was expecting it to complement my Pures in the wind, but it wound up being too close.

How about driving putter? What is a Rhino replacement? Clozer for both? Or is Clozer more similar to a Challenger? If so, I may be interested still in getting a few of both. What plastic did you use for a magnet? And what plastic did you get the clutch in, or putt with?

I don't drive with the clutch but they are slightly under stable at speed with no fade. I don't find the clozer to be that much different than the clutch off the tee. Neither disc is close to a rhino.
I used pro d magnets and looked for the stiffer flatter ones. I like the clutch in protege plastic,it's stiff and grippy. I have a stack of excels from when they first came out. At that time the excels were stiff and kind of slick.

Yea, can't trust the Inbounds chart sometimes...they have the outlaw listed in the same category as the Wraith and Surge...while the destroyer is a notch faster in their opinion. But it's got me wondering how i'm going to convert my bag to more Legacy. I've got outlaws, rivals, patriots, ghosts, and gauges so far. Looks like the enemy will take over my Firebird slot.

Non-Legacy left in my bag are: Magnet/Judge/Rhino/XD for putters and driving putters. Then I've got thunderbirds, a beat wraith (turnover/hyzerflip/tailwind duties), and a roadrunner. My putter lineup looks goofy but putting putters are Magnet/Judge and others are approach/driving. Would love suggestions for what to replace those with...

Based on what you have now,
Magnet = Clutch, however the Hunter is absolutely sick mold too, little more glide and straight as an arrow i switched over to it from the clutch for putts, although the clutch makes for the best driving/approach/mid putter of their lineup in Icon or Legend plastic.. imo, Clozer is also good driving putter in Legend.

The Phenom is a battle of the aces event disc atm so its harder to get unless you play the events but its a longer Patriot, control driver version of a patriot. Then the Enemy once they get the mold to fly how they want it will hopefully fly something like a firebird at release.

So you're super solid setup right now and my recommendations would be to try Clutch, Phenom, Enemy.. but you cant get the Phenom or Enemy yet so you'll have to wait to try those.

I used to bag a Gauge but i took it out to replace it with a Gravity Ghost that's super straight and can hold similar lines.

Right now my bag is:
4 Outlaws in Icon/Legend
4 Firebirds in Champion
1 Mongoose in Icon
4 Rivals in SpecialBlend/Icon/Pinnacle/Legend
1 Patriot in Pinnacle
4 Ghosts in Protege/Gravity
2 Hunters in Protege

I cycle most of my molds to get different flights out of the same mold. Its something new i just started doing the beginning of the year and im getting a little more consistent, i shot a 1005 rated in my last tournament and im usualy around 940-950 in the past so its working much better for me trying to keep it simple.

Last edited:
I don't drive with the clutch but they are slightly under stable at speed with no fade. I don't find the clozer to be that much different than the clutch off the tee. Neither disc is close to a rhino.
I used pro d magnets and looked for the stiffer flatter ones. I like the clutch in protege plastic,it's stiff and grippy. I have a stack of excels from when they first came out. At that time the excels were stiff and kind of slick.

I'd agree with you that the clutch/clozer are similar, although i wouldnt say much turn unless you torque them. some of my Produciton Run Blue Icon Clutch actually have some good beef to them and also the Blue Legend, like 0 turn and 2.5 fade out of the box fresh, i was surprised.

Legacy, like other companies will have inconsistency between plastics and often times colors

Yeah I'm talking a really slight turn on a 225' shot. Maybe a turn of -.25. I guess mine are pretty broken in even though I only putt with them. This stack of excels is three years old. When its really cold I'll break out a gravity clutch.

Does Legacy ever put out blank discs?

I have a dye I want to do on an Icon Rival and would like to start it on a blank canvas. I emailed them 2 weeks ago about a blank and have not had a response...:confused:

I have a white one with a black stamp ( the stamp does take up a majority of the disc space ) and I am almost afraid to wipe it because I am worried it will smear or leave a black mess on my disc...:(

Does Legacy ever put out blank discs?

I have a dye I want to do on an Icon Rival and would like to start it on a blank canvas. I emailed them 2 weeks ago about a blank and have not had a response...:confused:

I have a white one with a black stamp ( the stamp does take up a majority of the disc space ) and I am almost afraid to wipe it because I am worried it will smear or leave a black mess on my disc...:(

You'd have to contact them directly and ask for an order of blanks to dye with, i had to do that a while back but it took a while and i had to order a lot.

And yea wiping some of their non reflective stamps can leave big smears

Latest posts