• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] For the love of the Bird! ..Teebird that is!

let's hear some more negativity on those pro teebirds

I really don't want to spend more money right now.

LOL. You told me I wanted lighter Gstar TB and I told you why I don't like them. I don't want a 160s G star teebird lol. Frankly, I don't like lighter discs in general. There is almost nothing about a 162 gstar teebird that interests me. G star plastic is considerably more understable out of the box, beats in quicker, and is insanely flexible compared to their other plastics. It has a different hand feel, specifically on the flight plate. I do not like a driver that gives like that in my hand when I go to grip it. Obviously this isn't a "grip issue" it is a preference in feel which is my opinion. I am very familiar with Teebirds, their plastics, and how they wear. I have been throwing them for over a decade. I know what I like and that ain't it.

I do not remember saying you needed to try anything. I believe I only jumped on here to defend GStar because I throw the G-T3 (as well as G-PD and G-DD) year round and had no problems with it. If I did say something earlier, I apologize, but I just wanted to, again, point out that the plastic in itself is not normally an issue.

With that being said, I wholeheartedly agree that, out-of-the-box, GStar Teebirds, and also T3s, are less overstable than new Stars or Champions. They are, and this has been relatively true of all their stable to overstable discs I have tried in G plastic, less stable (not understable). What I have also seen is that in their less stable discs, most notably the Leopard, are actually more stable in G. If anything, it seems across the board that G plastics stabilize discs, bringing them from the extremes in stability and make them more neutral.

let's hear some more negativity on those pro teebirds

I really don't want to spend more money right now.

A pro teebird will fly like a pro valk but without the distance. People want to buy the pro teebird thinking it will be a dx teebird that will hold the magical laser straight seasoning longer, but in reality it will never get that flight it will be a non teebird flight from beginning to end.

Buy DX teebirds, and take a little time when picking it out. When it gets too flippy go ahead and boil it and flat top it, the stability will return.

So got mine on Friday and threw it for a round on Friday and Saturday. I like it but don't really love it. I"m still a bit confused as to what "Pro" plastic is... midrange pro and driver pro completely different?? I have an old used Banshee I picked up out of a used bin I thought was Pro, but maybe it was just stiff DX? I was expecting something like that, or in the neighborhood of a KC Roc. The Pro Teebird plastic is softer than Star but not as flexible as G*.
I"m in the boat of simply not liking the feeling of G* anything. Too flexible for my liking. This Teebird was on the boarder and I could see keeping it an throwing it. I think it is the same blend as the Prototype plastic the retooled FD2 came in maybe?

Anyway, the very first throw with the disc made me say wow. It flys like a fairly seasoned Star. It had pretty strong HSS and very slight forward fade. On an Anny it held the line for a long long time and just slowly fought out of it to land straight at the end of the flight. On a Hyzer it held the angle all the way and cut pretty hard all the way to the ground but out distanced a fresh star TB by quite a ways, a good amount of glide. I did have it turn and lose it left of the line pretty hard into a headwind, but that could have been me torquing it or releasing on a slight anny as well since it was just the one strong headwind drive.
I'll have to wait and see how it beats in if it losses HSS too fast for my liking.

Got a few rounds in with the new Pro Teebird. I could not get it to turn over without forcing it and it definitely finishes straighter than my Star. It also has a bit more glide. It feels very similar to star in the hand, but I was playing in colder temps than I am used to. It seems to be a little more durable than other Pro discs that I have. All in all, I am happy that I bought 5.

I completely disagree with 171 and 175 TBS flying differently. If you can notice the difference 4 grams of plastic makes in flight characteristics you are a pretty special guy.

I mentioned they are domey. I have two domey Teebirds that are each 171 and they are glide monsters with less stability than my max weight Teebirds. It is otherwise just a coincidence that they are 171.

I mentioned they are domey. I have two domey Teebirds that are each 171 and they are glide monsters with less stability than my max weight Teebirds. It is otherwise just a coincidence that they are 171.

If it's just a coincidence, then why even mention that they are low 170s? If you're not implying the weight plays a factor in the flight then it's not really relevant information. I have not noticed a difference between domey and flat TBS in terms of stability. Although I will say most of my experience is with TBs on the flatter side as I really do not like domey discs so I may not be the best source on that and will take your word for it.

I notice stability difference between plastics and runs and drastic weight differences. Mid to lower 160s are noticeably straighter than 170s. 17 Jen allens and brinsters are beefier than standard champ. Gstar and star tends to be straighter OOTB although I have hadsome real meathook stars occasionally. My favorite TBS were the stock champ run they did around 2010-2013. They were slightly domey, very glidey, straight with great HSS and a very smooth finish.

For me, the TB was meant to be in champ plastic. The flight of a fresh champ TB is what every other company has tried and failed to duplicate.

I still have my first star teebird in the bag, going on 3 years now. It is straight with a very late fade. I don't throw it into headwinds much, but I would imagine it would turn a little bit. I carry a tourney stamped luster teebird and a thunderbird for headwinds.

I also have a few *T matte star plastic teebirds. All 167-169 and yellow/orange swirly. 2 still in the bags and only one has been thrown. I kinda expected to be cycling these faster.

For me, the TB was meant to be in champ plastic. The flight of a fresh champ TB is what every other company has tried and failed to duplicate.

I think this sentence describes why all of the Teebird clones are slightly different. A ton of golfers love them, but they don't all love the same one.

I don't Like a new champ, but I do love a slightly worn Star. So I like the Stag because it flies a lot like that out of the box.

A lot of people like a worn champ, so things like the Crave or Explorer appeal.

It's all about preference and that is what makes the Teebird such a cool disc. It's one mold that is different enough over the plastics and runs that there is a disc for nearly everyone with Teebird stamped on it.

I think this sentence describes why all of the Teebird clones are slightly different. A ton of golfers love them, but they don't all love the same one.

I don't Like a new champ, but I do love a slightly worn Star. So I like the Stag because it flies a lot like that out of the box.

A lot of people like a worn champ, so things like the Crave or Explorer appeal.

It's all about preference and that is what makes the Teebird such a cool disc. It's one mold that is different enough over the plastics and runs that there is a disc for nearly everyone with Teebird stamped on it.

It is one of the most iconic molds out there. For me it is supposed to have a high amount of HSS and medium to low LSS. Basically a disc that can take a ton of power and just stay straight. It can hold an anyhzer or a hyzer very well. It just depends on your arm speed for what plastic/wear/weight combo gets that type of flight for you.

I can bag up to 6 champ TBs that all fly differently. I have them in stabilities ranging from roadrunner to a seasoned firebird. That's why I like it. One mold to rule them all... or something like that.

This is why it drives me up the wall when someone describes a disc as "a better Teebird" without qualifying what about its flight they like.

I've heard that about a Rival that developed more turn than a Champ T, i've heard it about a Volt and PD because they are longer, i've heard it about Longbowman because it was longer and seasoned to be able to hyzerflip, i've heard it about a Spark since it has more fade... and so many other small differences but everytime I've tried a Teebird clone, or disc that is mentioned as a Teebird repalcement I want to go back to a Teebird.

For me personally I love that a Teebird seems to GAIN distance into a headwind. The HSS is amazing and my main headwind disc is a MF TB and would be hard pressed to find a disc that I would rather throw.
The late forward fade. Once you know the disc where it will finish is so predictable its wonderful.
How it keeps the HSS but loses fade as it seasons. My Star TB is my main workhorse and is just lazer straight with very little fade and glides for days. It is not quite as long as my Star Eagle but it has retained HSS. 9 times out of 10 if I throw something and someone says "wow... what disc was that" it was that Star TB.

HSS = Discs ability to resist turning during High Speed phase of flight. (High Speed Stability)
LSS = same as HSS, but for Low Speed. (Low Speed Stability)

High amounts of both would be a really straight disc, while low amounts of both would create an S type flight.

I'll also add.. that the higher the LSS/LSF the more it'll dump at the end of flight.

Unless I am misunderstanding, LSS and LSF are opposites. high LSF creates a big dump (hehe he said poopy), but high LSS is a straighter end of flight. Same would apply to HSS vs HST. Please correct if I am wrong though

Unless I am misunderstanding, LSS and LSF are opposites. high LSF creates a big dump (hehe he said poopy), but high LSS is a straighter end of flight. Same would apply to HSS vs HST. Please correct if I am wrong though

As every disc I've had loses LSS, it becomes a straighter fader... In the context of this thread, it's CERTAINLY true for Teebirds.

I believe you are mistaken. High or more LSS would mean it has a harder finish. Low or less LSS means a straighter finish. I would agree that referring to it as LSF clears up some confusion. The word "stable" is one that people get confused about and don't agree on what it actually means. Some believe it means more neutral or straighter when some use it to mean overstable. In terms of LSS specifically, I believe the "stability" term is referring to how hard it finishes.