• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

FORE! A thread for stories of Accidental Hits and Near Misses

Waking up a dead on instead of starting a new one.

I didn't hit someone, but got hit. Playing glow golf I had a buddy who throws forehand try a backhand. We were on a fairly open 470' hole and about a third of the way up the fairway where he had hit a tree. I was walking up the right side of the fairway with another player and he and another player were walking up the far left where his lie was. I watched him throw, about 100' away, and heard OH SH***. He griplocked a backhand (cool he is working on his backhand is what I thought) 90 degrees. I remember Seeing a light on a red/orange champ disc right infront of my face, then bam I am on the ground. I have no hard feelings, FORE! may have been more appropriate but I don't know if he even knew we were over there, the disc sort of anhyzered around a tree I was standing by...

20150211_233543_zps259a2f9c.jpg

And three days later, I don't bruise much or easily so this is about as black of an eye I have gotten.

20150213_100340_zps6664b44f.jpg

Sorry if the bloddy pic surprised anyone, I tried to edit the post with a warning, but was too slow. If an admin wants to add a warning or whatever is appropriate I understand.

Hit my 2 yr old son by accident with a putter - similar to the other story - practicing putts in the backyard. He has a bad habit of standing right in front of the basket, so I usually take a disc, toss it 25 - 30' away, and putt while he goes to get it. Well he's running full force to throw his disc into the basket, just as I release & catch him right in the fo' head.... He just looked at me like, "What the F*#k, DUDE?!?"

I also hit my brother-in-laws neighbor's house. But that thing jumped right in front of my practice drive...

I have done nearly this exact thing with my daughter. Its hard to practice with the kid around anyway, I usually take it to the course. Having your kid around to keep tabs on is a complete different type of distraction than is worth practicing for the course.

Good thread. I was practice putting one day while a friend was standing next to the basket collecting his discs. I missed maybe a 20 footer but I was putting fairly hard and nailed him in the head. For some odd reason I putted again right after that and hit him again in the face. They may have only been putters but they were good chucks. I felt like an a**hole for a while after that. So if you're reading this Yim, sorry brother!

I hit a buddy in the nuts while he was clearing the basket the same night that I took the driver to the face. I thought I would smash chains while he cleared to surprise him (and punish him for putting when I was out). I pretty much hit him in the junk and the cage at the same time. No damage other than a cigarettes in his pocket...

The morning of my first tournament, I woke up with a mild case of pinkeye. A couple friends and I had set up some practice baskets about 150ft apart, in an open field next to the tourney HQ. I was walking around hunting for a disc in the long grass when WHAM I got drilled in the corner of my eye, by a medium Vibram Sole, thrown by one of my friends. He had bent down to grab another disc and I guess a gust of wind slung it towards me and I walked right into it. Its a damn good thing I wear glasses or I might have lost an eye(the earpiece on my glasses still has the broken spring hinge lol). It was an interesting day to say the least, started the day with a half swollen eye, and finished the day with a totally swollen one.

Its hard to practice with the kid around anyway

I've found that it's difficult to concentrate enough on putting while your kids are running around, almost running in front of you, and throwing their discs at the same time you do. If you can do that and still make putts, then you can block out any distraction on the course.

I was playing at a multi-use park and grip locked my drive toward the basketball courts. Pegged an eleven year old in the shoulder. Luckily the kid looked like a future offensive lineman and wasn't too phased. I apologized retrieved my disc and just gave myself a double bogey instead of throwing again on that hole.

Ive only ever hit one person, and the story is borderline unbelievable, but it really happened....

Playing Wills Park (old layout) in GA, and playing one of the many holes that crossed walking paths and generally weren't in great locations, hence the "old layout" part.
Anyway, threw my drive, and outta nowhere comes a 10ish year old kid bouncing a tennis ball on the walking path. My shot was headed straight for him, so of course we all start yelling for him to watch out. He turns towards us and takes my drive right to the shin bone. At this point, he yells in pain, turns around, and chucks his tennis ball in angst. The tennis ball hits a tree about 12 feet from him, ricochets, and comes back to hit him square in the face and he hits the ground. Before we could get to him, he stands up and runs off back towards the playground.
Hopefully he was alright, and im sure overall he was. But man it was kind of funny to see that chain of events unfold!

Only other funny story I have is a few weeks ago at a tournament in SW FL. It was approx. a 440ft shot with OB lake on the right and OB parking lot on the left. Theres about a 25mph headwind coming at us on the teepad. I am of course first on the pad and don't know what to do. Say screw fighting the wind and threw my most understable destroyer on a bomb hyzer out over the parking lot. Flips of course, heads towards lake, flexes back and dropped about 25 feet short of the hole in a straight line with the tee! It was awesome....now to the funny part....
Next guy steps up and is talking with his caddie. His caddie tells him to aim for the rearend of a blue car parked in the parking lot, with plans of the wind and shape of the shot to leave him lying nicely on the fairway. But sure enough, he drills it directly into the deck lid of the blue car! Was just funny because of the chatter between him and caddie prior to his throw!

I took my wife and two young boys out to the local course this summer. I'm a lefty and my wife is right-handed and has hardly ever played disc golf. I decided the best way to show her the footwork was to have her mirror me on the teepad. We get to the reachback and we're mirror images but then she gets all excited and flings her arm forward too early and hits me DIRECTLY in the face with the disc from about 2' away. Luckily I wear glasses because they cushioned the blow a little bit but I still crumbled to the ground in a heap and had a black eye the next day. I haven't taken her to the course since.

I was playing in the local Winter Series and hole 1's basket leads right to hole 2's tee, so those bombing the basket(hole is about 230') often go long toward 2's tee. We just finished hole 1 and were waiting at 2 writing in on our card when someone's KC pro Roc comes flying in past the basket and skipping off the ground and IN BETWEEN my legs before crashing into the hedge behind 2's tee. That was certainly a close call.

there was this couple that stopped in the middle of a fairway with their tiny newborn baby and started taking selfies while someone was in the middle of their run up on the tee of hole one.

i was just sitting and watching not part of the group playing and watching in HORROR as it was happening... the dude rips out a destroyer 5feet in the air STRAIGHT AT THE COUPLE AND BABY..

it was happening in slow motion and I my thoughts were: OMG please don't hit the baby, and also OMG if it hits the baby this course will be closed immediately probably forever, also I started get up to start to run to them to help if ever...

people started yelling immediately and the couple looked up as the drive screaming towards them and... the father calmly deflects the disc with his palm and it ends up being a decent shot near the pin anyway... lol

he then laughs with his wife and the couple just walks away nonplussed...

Latest posts