• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Forehand primer?

RHINESEL

Double Eagle Member
Backhand is beat to death. Posts upon posts, videos, drawings ect.

Is there a good all in one primer for forehand?

I have always thrown backhand except for the ultra rare overhand to get me out of the bushes, so 99.9 backhand I guess. I decided it was time to learn a semi serviceable forehand shot.

I went to a nice quiet course and threw only forehands for 12 holes (all I had time for) and went from throwing like my daughter (6 years old) to a 9 year old girl. Hey, progress is progress I guess.

Everything went high and to the left (rhfh) which is opposite from what I'd figure. I guess I'm getting some serious wrist roll.

Forehand is not natural to me at all. I need help with everything. Grip, footing, shoulders, line, follow through, ect.

If there is a thread here or on DGR I'd appreciate being pointed out. Please... no Expert Village! :doh:

I found forehand impossible for me until i found a good grip. Once I was comfortable with my grip I learned that I throw my best scores when i throw mostly forehand.

I tried to make a video on this subject but it was too windy when I was filming. I chopped up the footage and put together the 15-20% of it you could actually hear. I guess it's better than nothing.

It was natural for me cause i have a baseball background. Its all in the wrist. I taught my 55 year old dad and he can forehand 150 with accuracy and no strain on him. I can max out about 370 with mine and 420 backhand. It used to be the opposite until i learned proper form with the backhand.Becareful when u try and do this, ur muscles may not be ready, so baby steps.
Just pretend ur sckipping rocks on the water, then put a disc in ur hand.

The skipping disc tip is a great tip! make sure you do not roll your wrist over. As disc choice I think an AJ 2x esp surge or a star fire are great choices

One more

this was one of the best FH videos I found that helped me understand the form.

Last edited:
I am going to make a video this spring because I think there is a lack of good FH vids as well.

Some good info thanks for the link

Just so you know the way Mark throws FH is a bit different than most. He doesn't keep his elbow in close to his body. I am not saying that is a bad think but I find it easier and less stressful on the shoulder to keep my elbow in.

Mark is a good FH player and everyone has a bit of a different take on how to throw any kind of shot.

I would suggest trying a few different types of FH to see what works best and is most comfortable for you.

Here is a decent vid

do the hammer pound drills from DGR and throw the crap out of your putters/mids for a month or so. if you are a manly man, get an ultimate disc and work with that.

Yeah everyone who ever tries FH in disc golf needs to watch some ultimate videos. You see people flicking Firebirds and **** for 200' shots and these guys are flicking lids way past that. There's no reason "Discing Down Adventures" can't apply to FH too.