• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Forehand Tips

Any tips on forehand throws? I tend to turn my wrist a little when I throw but it is hard not to do it sometimes

Practice with Neutral to Understable discs that force you to throw cleanly.

Try to keep your palm pointed to the sky all the way through.

Take a video and post it in the form analysis/critique section.

Just don't let the palm face the ground. Palm up is not a natural wrist snapping motion unless its a hyzer.

Throwing with a slight hyzer can help you eliminate a lot of wrist-roll at the release point. It will also help you adjust your hyzer/anhyzer angles. Most of the FH throwers I have seen can only throw on an anhyzer release using overstable discs. Definitely use neutral to slightly understable discs to clean up your FH form.

Also, your grip can also have an impact on how much wrist-roll you have at the release. A forked grip will have your hand more palm up throughout the throwing motion than a two finger stacked grip which in turn is more palm up than a two finger power grip. The power grip will have your palm more perpendicular to the ground. Find a grip that helps you keep your wrist from rolling. Then work on eliminating OAT and then you can start experimenting with power.

The key points that I always work on are keeping my elbow relatively tight against my body, keeping my wrist loose (so it can go from open to closed as fast as possible at the release), throwing smoothly without strong-arming, and following through. Like anything, it takes a lot of practice.

While it might not be the most powerful, a one finger flick works fine also and is what I used forever until I broke my knuckle and switched to a two finger smush, index on rim.

learn how to flick putters, especially on anhyzer lines. hyzers are easy. keep your elbow tight to your body while you are learning the form. get a good hip turn and you will find a ton of power that you have been neglecting.

I roll my wrist either at the same time as the hit or just after I've never really analyzed it, but I find if I don't my shot turns and burns. When I do roll my wrist my shot starts as a hyzer and flips flat then glides out for 325-350 but I've never been able to get it out passed that, but then again I've always found if I need to go further than that on a left to right shot (rhbh) I just throw a backhand anhyzer...I guess my question is why does it seem that my wrist roll helps me, but everything I've ever read on this site about th suggests the opposite? My guess is I probably have OAT that is compensted for by the twist roll or some combination of that.

depster,

In my experience, you have to roll your wrist at some point. That point just has to be after the disc leaves your hand. You're palm just needs to be facing the same way at the beginning and the ending of the hit. After the release, you're wrist rolling over is part of the follow through. In my opinion, this needs to happen for a proper follow through. For me, OAT is caused by my wrist rolling over during the hit. If I roll over during the hit, I turn and burn, if I roll the wrist after the release, the flight is what it should be. If I roll my wrist before my wrist starts to close (start of the hit), the disc will hit the ground 10' in front of me.

As for getting past that 350 mark, I would think you would need more hip rotation. This is what I struggle with myself. I can hit 350' with a one-step, toe-dragging, 95% power throw. I can't seem to get my hips more into my throw though. If I could only stop this stupid toe-dragging. This is the primary reason I'm throwing BH more and more. I'm pretty accurate up to 320' with my FH but it is becoming easier to get longer distances BH.

Last edited:
I used to drag my toe when I pitched in high school to get me too stop my coach made me really exaggerate my push off the rubber. You could try pushing off with your back foot and just exaggerate it more. I know that throwing a disc and a baseball are completely different ideas but throwing fh and throwing a baseball sidearm are not all that different except in the hit you achieve when you throw a disc. Just concentrate more on lifting your back oot, but exaggerated, immediately after your forward push. If that don't work go see the pitching coach at Hazelwood central in St. Louis, he'll square you away lol

Thanks depster, I'll keep that in mind the next time I'm in St. Louis. :) Frankly, I'm happy with my FH distance. A stand still throw will net me around 300' with control drivers. A little more with wider rimmed drivers. I can flick pretty much anything but I'm really concentrating on learning a good BH right now. One step at a time.

Honestly the way I learned to throw bh was watching YouTube videos of Barry Shultz and just trying to mimic him. When I first started I was only hitting 200-250 if I was lucky but after watching him throw and basing my form off his I started hitting 300-350. I've just been spending the last couple years tweaking it here and there and now I consistently hitting 450-475. But to tell you the truth I've found that you can shoot above par at any course on just 300. If you can hit 300 on a fh stand still why bother learning a backhand. Jeremy koling doesn't throw backhand that often in rounds and he's a beast. Granted he can throw 700+ ft backhand, but that's not my point. If you already have a good base to build from why not build a house. I've seen a lot of really good golfers that only throw fh and their game isn't hindered by it.

But to tell you the truth I've found that you can shoot below par at any course on just 300. If you can hit 300 on a fh stand still why not bother learning a backhand. Jeremy koling does throw backhand often in rounds and he's a beast. Granted he can throw 700+ ft backhand, but that's not my point. If you already have a good base to build from why not build a house. I've seen a lot of really good golfers that only throw fh and their game is hindered by it.
FTFY

Okay the "not" shouldn't have been there and the "does" is supposed to be doesn't and the is "is" supposed to be isn't..give me a break I'm on my phone...what does ftfy mean? Sorry I only get on the forums every once in awhile and don't quite spreckizie the lingitty..

depster-PM sent.
sidewinder22- I totally agree with what you just posted. The pm sent to depster was about this in a way. I'm now about 50/50, FH/BH. I usually BH for long drives and short approaches and FH for accurate drives and approaches. I think it is very important to have as many throws in your bag as possible. Use the higher percentage throw for the shot at hand.

Ftfy: fixed that for you.

Okay the "not" shouldn't have been there and the "does" is supposed to be doesn't and the is "is" supposed to be isn't..give me a break I'm on my phone...what does ftfy mean? Sorry I only get on the forums every once in awhile and don't quite spreckizie the lingitty..
It got nothin to do with yo spreckizie the lingitty, fo snizzlity pretzels. :rolleyes:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUOq09T2q54

This is how I learned sidearm in no time. Her style really helps develop a follow through which is key.

Dial it back. Learn how to float your putters out there and work your way up it really helps out your form. Starting with an overstable driver can hide flaws and develop bad habits. Starting small makes you realize that its not all the shoulder. ( Throwing your shoulder out stinks Dont do it )

Experiment with a split grip with putters and mids as well as a stacked grip.

Karate Chop your way to success! Good luck my friend :hfive:

I use quite a few flicks in my game. Although it's an elementary part of form, I'd recommend using a couple different grips to make the most of your forehand. My "control" grip is a peace sign with my middle finger pressed against the rim of the disc. The index is there for stability. To get more distance, I use the "power" grip by moving those two fingers together and stacking them against the rim. Hope this helps!